Help! looking for a place to live in Thailand - Pattaya sucks for a couple

Annonymous

We've been renting a condo in Pattaya for a few years now and it's unpleasant to live.

Too many construction work, and therefore too much noise and dust. The beach is small and dirty with loud music so you can't even seat and listen to the sea...

So I've heard, Thailand is a big country with many beautiful areas, and we want to move on and live in one of those areas.

Basically here's what we dream of:

1. Independent house comfortably equipped (air-con, washing machine, ADSL internet) reasonably priced (10 to 15k bath/month yearly)
  2. Not far from the sea
  3. Quiet area with trees and lots of greenery, nice nature view, no buildings no city no cars
  4. Not in the forest either, need access to food markets etc. (and ADSL internet.. lol)
  5. It can be 5Km from here or 1000Km from here, if we can get a much better quality life then we'll go that far!

I've heard of "Krabi" and have found nice pictures of it on the web, showing small mountains with lots of trees, really liked it! How is the life there? what are the prices? Will it worth to travel there only to visit homes, choose one, and then come back here to pickup all our stuff to move to the new house?

Thanks for any advice, links, city names, resort names, renting websites, pictures, ideas, opinion, ANYTHING!

Edited by Annonymous

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe try Bangsaray some 25km south of Pattaya, they are building many condos there now I believe, quite nice on the non beach side.

Why living in a independent house? I live in a moo baan (village) and prefer the extra security and if you live in a nice one, life is good.

In an independent house you are on your own in case of intruders and the chances of brake in way higher, could be the neighbors son when you go shopping, read about that before here.

What I mean by "independent house" is that I don't want a townhouse which is like a condo: you can hear all and everything about the neighbor's life, plus the garden is usually small no trees no space for privacy relaxing etc.

I hate townhouses.

I definitely agree that I need to find a closed village with security guards, there are plenty, I just didn't find the right one with the right house yet... :(

nice nature view,

lots of greenery,

no cars,

no city,

no buildings,

no no no no no,there is no such place here in thailand.

Are you being serious or sarcastic? Can't be sure as I don't know Thailand very well outside Pattaya

Just bear in mind wherever you move to that at some point a Thai will come along and totally f** it up with loud music rubbish or construction/ shop.

They haven"t a clue about peace serenity/beauty.

Unfortunate true.

You won't have high speed internet available anywhere but build up urban areas. If you can scratch that, bangsean, ban amphur, sri racha, bangsaray/satahip areas not far from Pattaya may bear checking out.

Ever heard of WI MAX/NET from TOT available in many rural areas now and not expensive.

You won't have high speed internet available anywhere but build up urban areas. If you can scratch that, bangsean, ban amphur, sri racha, bangsaray/satahip areas not far from Pattaya may bear checking out.

Thank you for the suggestions. I heard of Sattahip, I'll definitely go take a look with the motorbike! Any particular (quiet, green, nice) area to go look there with individual houses?

Unfortunately I can't do without Internet (mobile internet doesn't count as internet).

Ever heard of WI MAX/NET from TOT available in many rural areas now and not expensive.

The problem with this kind of technology is the latency and connection quality. From my own experience, whether it is HSDPA+ 3G 4G LTE or WIMAX, it's all the same bullshit: huge ping, slow upload, and lots of packets losts!

I can't stand those types of connection, I need at least a regular ADSL line.

Thanks all for the great recommendations! Looks like I'll have to rent a car and go visit all those places!!!

Any more suggestions for areas near Pattaya but still much quieter/greener than Pattaya itself?

I've visited a nice "mini-village" in Jomtien with trees, swimming pool well-maintained area, closed with security guards so no cars/motorbikes nor even dogs, and the houses have nice gardens with tree all around assuring really good privacy, but the problem is the cost: starts at 30 000 bath/month for a year contract. My budget is half of that!

Thanks all for the great recommendations! Looks like I'll have to rent a car and go visit all those places!!!

Any more suggestions for areas near Pattaya but still much quieter/greener than Pattaya itself?

I've visited a nice "mini-village" in Jomtien with trees, swimming pool well-maintained area, closed with security guards so no cars/motorbikes nor even dogs, and the houses have nice gardens with tree all around assuring really good privacy, but the problem is the cost: starts at 30 000 bath/month for a year contract. My budget is half of that!

You are not going to get what you want on a budget of 10 to 15k. I live in a gated community with security that is worse than useless, maintenance is always a battle but apart from that a huge garden front and back, a pool 12.5mtr x 4.5mtr, 3 bedroomed, 3 bathrooms, outdoor kitchen, maids room complete with separate WC, utility room and parking for two cars all for 30k a month. Of course I pay the electric, water, internet (3BB) and True. It also came fully furnished but we opted to dump the lounge furniture and buy our own. This is on the dark side north east.

You are not going to get what you want on a budget of 10 to 15k. I live in a gated community with security that is worse than useless, maintenance is always a battle but apart from that a huge garden front and back, a pool 12.5mtr x 4.5mtr, 3 bedroomed, 3 bathrooms, outdoor kitchen, maids room complete with separate WC, utility room and parking for two cars all for 30k a month. Of course I pay the electric, water, internet (3BB) and True. It also came fully furnished but we opted to dump the lounge furniture and buy our own. This is on the dark side north east.

Hi thanks for sharing! The thing is that I don't need such a big house, so I was hoping that for half the size I could get half the price! haha

Anyway, how about 20k as a budget?

What do you mean "dummp the lounge", did the landlord agree?

30 000 bath is 1000 USD, for that price I could get a small house back home (Europe) outside of city, so paying this price in Thailand seems overpriced to me... but I believe the size of yours justifies it! I just don't need that big...

When you think about it, 1000 USD/month that's 12 000 USD/year and in only 8 years of renting you could have been the owner of that house! (3 millions bath?)

Roi-Et, okay it's not close to the sea.

I still think it's a nice place to live.

this? http://goo.gl/maps/2JnQr

Yes. I love the place. It's got all you need and it's very civilized. It's cheap too. Been there 13 years now.

Otherwise Chiang Mai is worth a look. VillageFarang has a blog of where he lives and it's quite stunning.

Pattaya is not an option. Couple or otherwise.

I just sold up in Bang Saray. I still prefer Roi-Et.

Edited by MJP

Hi thanks for sharing! The thing is that I don't need such a big house, so I was hoping that for half the size I could get half the price! haha

30 000 bath is 1000 USD, for that price I could get a small house back home (Europe) outside of city, so paying this price in Thailand seems overpriced to me... but I believe the size of yours justifies it! I just don't need that big...

When you think about it, 1000 USD/month that's 12 000 USD/year and in only 8 years of renting you could have been the owner of that house! (3 millions bath?)

Not in Thailand.

In and around Bangkok you find lots of houses to sell for 30-50 Million Baht. They are big, but crap compared to similar priced houses in Europe.

Thailand isn't cheap, and a rent for 30K in Pattaya is already a good price. Go to Chang Mai or even cheaper Chiang Rai if you still want to get value for money. Visit there first to see if you like it.

In and around Bangkok you find lots of houses to sell for 30-50 Million Baht. They are big, but crap compared to similar priced houses in Europe.

Thailand isn't cheap, and a rent for 30K in Pattaya is already a good price. Go to Chang Mai or even cheaper Chiang Rai if you still want to get value for money. Visit there first to see if you like it.

Seconded.

I think Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai are possibly the nicest places, in all respects, in Thailand.

Thailand is in a hideous credit fuelled property and land price bubble right now and with the Baht fairly high it's definitely not cheap.

Not in Thailand.

Not even via a company with 50% shares?

Imsuwan condo on the door step of Doing Suthep. 6500 baht and simply MASSIVE with the best views of Chiang Mai around.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

this?

chiang-mai-sang-serene-house-apartment-1

chiang-mai-sang-serene-house-apartment-1

not so cheap actually: http://www.sangserene-house.com/en/room-rates (18k for the 70 sqm apartment with 8 BATH PER ELETRIC UNIT <deleted>!!!!)

but it does look amazing indeed!

What about % of farang occupants there? Not being racist or anything but I need to keep a social life and don't speak thai good enough to have thai friends with whom I can have long and deep conversations!