Cast Iron Skillet

dudeinthailand

How smooth is the cooking surface?

Yes those little ridges are still there, but with all the use I would it's 70% of the surface of the old boy. The advantage here was we just bought streaky bacon junks (pork belly) and seasoned it that way. We only use rice bran oil or olive oil not the palm or other oils so I think that's helped a bit- could be wrong.

We did have a set back the MIL cooked something and added lime juice :)

I did buy a cheapo back home that was made in China and it was crap and ended up tossing it. Lodge is the US brand and it's good quality.

Is it true you should not use detergent to wash it ?

If so, what do you use....just water ? I presume hot, what if you do not have running hot water ?

It's true, also don't cook anything with acid - tomatoes especially as it can wear off the seasoning.

I believe the trick is in the prep heat temperature, get that right and nothing will stick making the clean up super easy just a wipe and I always return to the heat for a second and then apply a thin coating of rice bran oil with kitchen paper. The water doesn't need to be hot just tap water will suffice and if need be the scour pad rubbed lightly with salt.

It sounds like a lot of work but well worth it, they last forever and sear the food better than anything out there. Brine a chicken breast and cook it in a cast iron pan and you'll be hooked.

• Like 1

Never used a cast iron pan, but used a camp oven many a time.

Always washed it any which way, certainly would have used soap at various times.

Wonder how to get grease and fat out of it though to clean it.....I know that defeats the purpose, but you can have too much grease in it and cannot put it away in the cupboard covered in fat etc.

Anyway. I want all 3, the 2 size pans and an oven, shall be in Bkk this weekend if anyone can advise where to get the raro ones.

I shall be in soi 26 also, so might go and look there....where is this K market place, is it the group of shops on left at the end of soi 26 near rama 4?

Never used a cast iron pan, but used a camp oven many a time.

Always washed it any which way, certainly would have used soap at various times.

Wonder how to get grease and fat out of it though to clean it.....I know that defeats the purpose, but you can have too much grease in it and cannot put it away in the cupboard covered in fat etc.

Anyway. I want all 3, the 2 size pans and an oven, shall be in Bkk this weekend if anyone can advise where to get the raro ones.

I shall be in soi 26 also, so might go and look there....where is this K market place, is it the group of shops on left at the end of soi 26 near rama 4?

Yes and True Value has stock.

http://www.kvillagebangkok.com/HtmlAreaImages/KVillagemap08-07-11.jpg

• Like 1

I have a few 'Gucchi' Cookware shops near where I live who sell Cast Iron 'country style cookware'. Mostly imported from the states, Very expensive stuff in Thailand. Expect to pay anything up to 5000 Baht for a quality, decent sized, heavy, fair dinkum cast iron skillet.

Follow the proper cleaning and maintenance procedures, and your cookware will last for generations to come. Here’s what you need to know:

How to prepare your cast iron cookware - from wikihow

http://www.wikihow.com/Season-Cast-Iron-Cookware

How to Clean Cast Iron
  1. Wash your cast iron in hot water immediately after use. Due to concerns over bacteria, I recommend washing with soapy water – though there are many cast iron users who feel it’s best to stick to water only. Whichever route you choose, be sure not to scrub too vigorously, and take care not to submerge the pan in water. This could cause damage to the seasoning on the pan.
    • Dry your cookware completely. Cast iron will rust if it isn’t dried immediately after washing. Start by towel drying you cookware. Then, place it on the stove over low heat for a minute or two to pull out any remaining moisture. If desired, lightly coat the inside of the pan with oil, and heat for a minute or two longer. This will help to restore any seasoning that might have been lost during washing.
    • Store with the lid off. To further protect against rusting, store your cookware with the lid off. Many cast iron users also recommending placing a paper towel inside the cookware to absorb any additional moisture that may be present – either in the pan or in the surrounding environment.
Cast Iron Maintenance Tips
  • cook over low heat, to avoid damage to the pan
  • use plastic or wooden cooking utensils to prevent scratching
  • remove acidic foods from your pans immediately after cooking, and wash promptly to prevent damage to the seasoning
  • do not store foods in cast iron, as this can break down the seasoning
  • never submerge cast iron in water
  • never put cold water in a hot pan; this can cause the pan to crack or warp
  • do not wash cast iron in the dishwasher
  • Like 1

Here is the Losge brand from the USA in stock at True Value K village , they also have large flat griidle pans and the ones with the grill ridges but I was asked not to take pictures.

Sorry the pics are crap the staff were hovering :) also I forgot it's a hike from the BTS

post-183262-0-98584100-1379485530_thumb.

post-183262-0-82945700-1379485547_thumb.

post-183262-0-18182500-1379485564_thumb.

Edited by ToddWeston
  • Like 2

Check out the night market tomorrow at K Village in Soi 26. From 5 pm to midnight.

It's a huge market with local produce and predominantly organic products. There is also a guy selling pans there....Posted Image

Do you happen to know that guy? ;)

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Check out the night market tomorrow at K Village in Soi 26. From 5 pm to midnight.

It's a huge market with local produce and predominantly organic products. There is also a guy selling pans there....xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.YFbFEjGiN5.w alt=whistling.gif width=19 height=18>

Not in town until friday, so shall miss this one.

Any chance said person will be around saturday mornin ?

Edited by itchybum
  • Like 1

It's a huge market with local produce and predominantly organic products. There is also a guy selling pans there....Posted Image

Raro...when do they have the special market on 26? I have been told that it is not everyday and the days change...is this true?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 3 weeks later...