What is the BiB doing?

eyecatcher

I have noticed now on two or three occasions, a policeman on his bike pay a visit to various business premises, take out a small log book from their post box and sign it, and then ride off.

They don’t go into the business, and sometimes I have seen them late at night.

My first thought was that the business has paid for some kind of “drive by” security, similar to that of building sites where you pay for the van to drive by every hour to create an awareness/deterrent…. And I actually thought he was collecting his tea money….(and planning my raid on the box)

But I have watched them, sometimes they don’t even get off the bike to sign the book, and others just park up and walk from building to building take out the book.

Anyone seen this happening or knows what they are up to?

Its a log book to prove they have been doing their rounds. Some of these are at designated points and then businesses can get their own (so that the police drive by) and they pay a monthly sum ("fuel charge" or whatever) Its basically a log book for their "beat".

Sounds like a routine security check. Business and homes arrange payment with the local police station to have a visible police presence every few hours. The officer is supposed to sign a book set up in a box (like a post box) colored blue to prove he has doing his rounds.

I always heard they are red boxes as mentioned in this article

Sounds like a routine security check. Business and homes arrange payment with the local police station to have a visible police presence every few hours. The officer is supposed to sign a book set up in a box (like a post box) colored blue to prove he has doing his rounds.

I always heard they are red boxes as mentioned in this article

Years ago we had some sneak thieves at one of our properties and the police installed a blue box for their note book.

My Thai wife and I live in a residential area south of Chiang Mai Gate. There are a lot of hill-tribers around and over a year ago our next-door neighbor convinced us to put up one of those boxes (ours is red) and get the BIB to stop and sign the book on a routine basis. We have been splitting the monthly cost of 600 baht with him. The idea being that we have them a bit more attentive to any problem, should one occur. They come by about once a day on an irregular basis and sign the book. As it happened, there have been a couple of neighborhood issues, but we don't think that his arrangement made any difference in the police services provided, to tell you the truth, and we are thinking of quitting.

We have one behind our house that no one pays for - its been there for years and because its a junction, its always been a designated check point. Other places have paid if they are not on the route etc.

I'm not sure it makes much difference frankly. I think they come by about every hour at night approx.

Still had a few bag snatches etc

We have a red box right outside the gate, up about 6 meters. Been there for many years. For years it just sat there unattended. Maybe 3 times a year a policeman would come by. Then about a year and a half ago, the police began showing up every week, usually a guy on a motorcycle comes, writes something and takes off. Turns out the moobaan hadn't been paying the fee for years and people complained. I think they charge 500 THB per month, per box. Not sure how many there are in the moobaan. No cash is ever put in the boxes.

The red box is between 500 to 1000 Baht a month. The local police come by and check the premises 2 times a day. They ride up on the motorbike, sign the book. They never do anything extra and they never make sure your business or residence is Ok. You do not get any preference. They are not any more at your call. Basically it is a tip or a thank you for local law enforcement for doing nothing extra or for just doing their job. If you expect something more you will not get it.

Its very handy for the thieves,they just get book out box, read at what time

the police call around, and break in after hes gone.

Its like a protection racket, you get preferential treatment if you get broken into

while using the police service, which i thought was their job anyway!

relax Countryman

Good friend of mine told the local police that he was going back to his home country for a month and could they please keep an eye on his house for a fee. So after several years of living there with no trouble at all whilst he was away his house was totally stripped. Even had the wiring and pipes off the walls.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

One might have trouble having them actually doing something without it, kind of a retainer for their services

Exactly, and if you do have an intruder they have a much faster reaction when you call the police station for office assistance.

Our 600 bht/mnth came with the officers cell # . Red Box in San Sai but not the fairly well known one anto referred to unles he means well known on TV.

We had our water meter disappear and the police came so fast and conducted quite an investigation, it resembled CSI Chaing Mai! Feel if I didn't have a "relationship" with them would not have been the same.

Good friend of mine told the local police that he was going back to his home country for a month and could they please keep an eye on his house for a fee. So after several years of living there with no trouble at all whilst he was away his house was totally stripped. Even had the wiring and pipes off the walls.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Recent similar story in the neighborhood, house not stripped but safe broken into and items stolen. And the suspects are? Yeh you guessed it.