20 Kilometres Of Skytrain Track Wire 'Stolen'

Lite Beer

20 Kilometres Of Skytrain Track Wire 'Stolen'

13794219621379422239l.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Police have arrested a group of suspects accused of stealing more than 20 kilometres of copper electric wire under Skytrain tracks in Bangkok.

In a press conference at the Metropolitan Police headquarters, Pol.Col. Chayanon Meesati said the first of the suspects was apprehended on 29 July and confessed he collaborated with 2 other individuals in the crime. The police then sought arrest warrants from the court and arrested the 2 other suspects.

However, Pol.Col. Chayanon said 3 more suspects in the case are still on the run.

According to Pol.Col. Chayanon, the group climbed ladders to reach the BTS tracks via a gap between the pillars, and the pillars helped shielded the suspects from the public eye as they worked, cutting lengths of copper wire under the tracks.

The wire was hidden in sacks, according the police, the group later sold the copper wire to metal shops, and used the money to buy illegal drugs for their consumption.

The suspects reportedly told the police they had worked as construction workers for the BTS project, which granted them extensive knowledge of the tracks′ structure. They also wore orange jackets worn by BTS construct workers when they performed the operation, police said.

Mr. Pakdee Jirapapan, director the maintenance department of Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA), estimated that the suspects had hauled away 20 kilometres of copper wire in total, costing the authority around 10 million baht.

Mr. Pakdee said the theft did not immediately affect the services, but admitted that the BTS functions could be severely disrupted in the long term. He told the reporters the BMTA would install metal grates on vulnerable locations along the tracks to avoid further theft.

One of the suspects confessed to the police that he and his cohorts had been operating for a year, reaping 10 sacks of copper wire in their biggest attempt. The group then separated the money, each person receiving 20,000 baht per haul, according to the suspect.

The stations targeted by the suspects are identified as Chong Nonsri, Arie, Saphan Kwai, Ekkamai, Pra Khanong, and On Nut.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM09UUXlNVGsyTWc9PQ==&sectionid=TURVd01BPT0=

--KHAOSOD English 2013-09-17

i know copper has value, maybe i'm lucky but bangkok is the first place that i've had someone steal the copper pipe around the water meter in front of the house... to which i was told 'you should have left the light on out front' apparently the whole soi got hit whose lights were off

• Like 1

3 held for stealing BTS wires
The Nation

30215055-01_big.jpg?1379463027800

BANGKOK: -- Three men have been arrested for stealing copper worth more than Bt10 million from the Skytrain system's ground lines.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Lt-General Camronwit Toopgrajank announced the arrests yesterday alongside executives of BTSC, which operates the Skytrain system. Suspect Pichit Kladngern said his gang had been stealing the copper for more than a year now.

30215055-02_big.JPG

BTSC officials said though the theft does not affect Skytrain services, but repairs were necessary to prevent any long-term damages. Ground lines consist of copper wires to prevent electric shocks.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-18

i know copper has value, maybe i'm lucky but bangkok is the first place that i've had someone steal the copper pipe around the water meter in front of the house... to which i was told 'you should have left the light on out front' apparently the whole soi got hit whose lights were off

Where I am from they find a empty house bash in the walls and strip the elect wiring and copper water pipes.

There will be a lot of copy cat follow ups of this crime.

4 junkies with a few thousand baht worth of hand tools netted 10 million in a year.

That is 2.5 million per bloke. More than most working class Thais will see in their entire life.

I just don't understand why they had to blow their fortune on drugs.

How can you haul 20km of wire away and no one notices?

I was going to ask a similar question - is this some kind of world record for the longest thing ever knocked off ? If so congrats to the bumbling burglars.

But as Thormaturge said, I will not believe they are the culprits unless someone, anyone, points at them. clap2.gif

How can you haul 20km of wire away and no one notices?

I was going to ask a similar question - is this some kind of world record for the longest thing ever knocked off ? If so congrats to the bumbling burglars.

But as Thormaturge said, I will not believe they are the culprits unless someone, anyone, points at them. clap2.gif

easily they only took the ground-wires so if nothing short out than no-one knows

they should also visit the place where they sold it cannot tell me that that guy thought i was normal to have large quantities of perfectly good copper wire for sale

Edited by retell

Time for continuity checks and grounding checks of the BTS methinks. reminds me of a guy that got "caught" stealing copper wire while walking up the hill at the Electric Boat shipyard in Groton, CT herein the USA. The guy wrapped the wire around his body under his coat. Not a bad idea, but copper does have some weight to it. And if any of you are familiar with the shipyard in Groton, there is a very steep hill leading from the water up to where you park your car. The guy keeled over and died.

• Like 1