Migration of Pattaya residents to Chiang Mai

whereyoufrom

15 years ago I moved to boring CM from the south....Patts/BKK to get away from the in your face action and all the ugliness that goes with a bar town and to save a few brain cells and my liver. Am I still a perverted migrant from Pattaya??

CM could use a little more action, but it will never happen because the BIB want it to be a family/cultural town.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@BJ

No tip off from my BiB friends, but they maybe becoming a lot busier in the future.

I for one would not welcome the prospect of Chiang Mai becoming home to some of the Pattaya crowd, I think for obvious reasons and I bet that the majority of Chiang Mai expats feel the same way.

The main reason these people are suddenly finding Chiang Mai an attractive alternative to Pattaya is because they believe it is cheaper to live up here. Flooding Chiang Mai with wheeler, dealer foreigners of little wealth and dubvious backgrounds, would be of no benefit to the city, there are too many here already and it`s simply bad news.

How do you know how wealthy people are ?, do you have access to their bank accounts, how do you know they have dubious backgrounds ?, jeez it must be fun having your crystal ball BJ, oh and your insider knowledge due to your connections..Walter Mitty springs to my mind but dream on...whistling.gif

Anyway BJ, whether you like it or not, there is not a lot you can do about it is there ?...

Fancy being worried about a little thing like longer queues at immigration due to an influx of newcomers from Pattaya.

I'd have thought that someone with your connections wouldn't have to make an appointment with Immigration to get a visa extension..Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more hey...laugh.png .

I'm pretty sure there are some really nice people in Chang Mai, infact I'll say the majority are probably nice people but if I ever come to Chang Mai I hope I never bump into you, I get bored quite easily and I've met enough people in Pattaya who say they have connections in high places, don't want to meet anymore now, do I...bah.gif

Pattaya bashing well and truly alive.....

Keep this up and I`ll start thinking you don`t like me.

Now your learning , maybe all the time you've spent with your connections with people in the BIB have turned you into some kind of Sherlock..

I can't really say I don't like you because I don't know you but what you've wrote on this thread with regards to people of Pattaya makes me kinda think your some one who thinks he's above everyone else and some kind of pre-judgemental misguided wannabe snob.

I really should'nt take the bait BJ and waste my enery with my fingers typing a reply to you but I just can't help it...

Anyway keep up the good work with the Pattaya bashing, you might make people think twice about relocating, now that would make you happy hey...

Have a nice day and take it easy on the Chang, it'ts going up in price..coffee1.gif

Although I do believe that Chiang Mai can do with an injection of some new sparkle, vibrant social entertainments and nightlife and on the social front, it can be considered as boring here, I still love the culture, the Chiang Mai smiles and the relative safety of the areas that is difficult to find anywhere else.

I would hate to see any of this spoilt by East European travellers and business owners on a grand scale, sexpats and foreign undesirables, which also attracts the lowest denomination Thais, as has happened in Pattaya and now the resort of Phuket has approached a close second. Let me make it clear, I am not in anyway showing prejudices against East Europeans, but only of any foreign influences that could alter the cultural tranquillity of what we already have in Chiang Mai and other parts of Northern Thailand, or in other words, many of us love Chiang Mai just the way it is.

Can you deny that this is not the case in Pattaya? And that expanding the same situation to Chiang Mai would hold no benefits for the communities here, both expats and Thais?

Of course there are parts of Pattaya that maybe considered as more upmarket, but on the whole it has certain attributes that I hope will not become similar characteristics in Chiang Mai, even on a smaller scale. I am sorry that you cannot put up a good argument without having to get personal, which means you have no good points to put forward.

Otherwise, how else would you like me to explain this?

Amazes me when some people on here seem to think they have some god given right to tell others where they can or cannot live and how they can or cannot live. I have news for them....anyone who lives in Pattaya, Phuket, Timbuktu, Outer Mongolia or Outer Space has just as much right to live in Chiang Mai as YOU do; and of course, if YOU don't like it then you can always move elsewhere yourself.....and with your attitude it will be good riddance to YOU !!

Just more people that are going to make it more difficult to get a visa extension appointment slot at Immigration and increasing the odds of getting an inhospitable farang neighbor.

Seems to me you have a self importance issue hey beetlejuice, what are you trying to say? are you trying to say that people from Pattaya are scum ?, seems that way to me. anyway never mind eh, I'm sure your important freinds in high places will look after you.

Pattaya bashing never ends....whistling.gif

If people want to move from Pattaya to Chang Mai for a change from Pattaya, who the hell are you to prejudge them, you don't even know them or maybe your BIB freinds have given you inside information...cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcoffee1.gif

Let's hope the Pattaya hordes heading up North don't bring their 24 hour partying ways with them.

Chaing Mai is a quite, tranquil place and Thailand's worst kept secret.

CCC

Don't worry about that, they probably left for Chiangmai because they couldn't afford Pattaya anymore.

No tip off from my BiB friends, but they maybe becoming a lot busier in the future.

I for one would not welcome the prospect of Chiang Mai becoming home to some of the Pattaya crowd, I think for obvious reasons and I bet that the majority of Chiang Mai expats feel the same way.

The main reason these people are suddenly finding Chiang Mai an attractive alternative to Pattaya is because they believe it is cheaper to live up here. Flooding Chiang Mai with wheeler, dealer foreigners of little wealth and dubvious backgrounds, would be of no benefit to the city, there are too many here already and it`s simply bad news.

i fully agree with you as it is a wellknown fact that only rich foreigners with "un"dubious backgrounds live in Chiang Mai and surrounding areas.

that must be the reason why accommodation in Chiang Mai is one third of the Pattaya cost.

please entertain us with some more of your ridiculous facts.

cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Amazes me when some people on here seem to think they have some god given right to tell others where they can or cannot live and how they can or cannot live. I have news for them....anyone who lives in Pattaya, Phuket, Timbuktu, Outer Mongolia or Outer Space has just as much right to live in Chiang Mai as YOU do; and of course, if YOU don't like it then you can always move elsewhere yourself.....and with your attitude it will be good riddance to YOU !!

Amazes me that people can get so fired up over what is intended to be light hearted banter!

• Like 1

i fully agree with you as it is a wellknown fact that only rich foreigners with "un"dubious backgrounds live in Chiang Mai and surrounding areas.

that must be the reason why accommodation in Chiang Mai is one third of the Pattaya cost.

cheesy.gif

Dangerous to generalise on that point and whereas I might have agreed with you a couple of years ago, today there's a lot of very expensive property to be had in CM, new houses selling at Land and House for 18 and 24 million!

There isnt anything special about Chiang Mai, quite a boring place really. Food is dreadful, mosquitos the size of birds, traffic is hell on earth. Its expensive. Did I mention it was boring. Why would anyone from Pattaya want to come and live in Chiang Mai. Bangkok is far more suitable place and nearer too. Leave Chiang Mai alone, give it a miss. Nothing really there. Your not wanted . . . get it.

He's absolutely right. And don't believe all those stories about the wonderful climate or Chiang Mai women being the most beautiful in Thailand either. Just remember that CM is Smogville 24/7. Haven''t you heard all those stories we've been telling you?

So go somewhere else.... anywhere.

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

To be honest, I would love to move to Chang Mai, it's very beautiful up there, love the mountains.

Only thing that scares me off is the yearly burning of the fields and with a kid you can't just go south when it happens.

I might move up there when I retire.

A bit fed up with the overbuilding of Pattaya and more and more traffic every year.

Just more people that are going to make it more difficult to get a visa extension appointment slot at Immigration and increasing the odds of getting an inhospitable farang neighbor.

Seems to me you have a self importance issue hey beetlejuice, what are you trying to say? are you trying to say that people from Pattaya are scum ?, seems that way to me. anyway never mind eh, I'm sure your important freinds in high places will look after you.

Pattaya bashing never ends....whistling.gif

If people want to move from Pattaya to Chang Mai for a change from Pattaya, who the hell are you to prejudge them, you don't even know them or maybe your BIB freinds have given you inside information...cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcoffee1.gif

Let's hope the Pattaya hordes heading up North don't bring their 24 hour partying ways with them.

Chaing Mai is a quite, tranquil place and Thailand's worst kept secret.

CCC

Don't worry about that, they probably left for Chiangmai because they couldn't afford Pattaya anymore.

The VIP buses are laden with salivating Pattaya residents as we speakw00t.gif heading up north ready for a cost effective lifestyle, the main topic of conversation on the bus is how far will my 5000 baht a week pension stretchcoffee1.gif

You've hit the nail on the head!clap2.gif

The Pattaya hordes who carn't afford it anymore think that Chaing mai is a viable alternative.blink.png

If they want to carry on living the dream of cheap & beaches then head to Cambodia because they will become bored and miss being a handsum man

in CM.

CCC

CCC

pattay will allways have a bit of a name,

im not sayibg its bad, ive had some brillient times there many years ago, my friend from the same town as me in england Phil owns the coral reef bar soi 8 hes been there for over 20 years, its changed we all know that, there is the eastern europe people who dont like spending money and bar owners are finding it hard,

ive been to chang mai stayed in the royal princess hotel, visited all the tourist places, the water falls, hot spa, orchid farm, wood carvin ect, was good for a holiday, me and the wife like to have hollidays away from nokarn nowere,

but in the end im happy to get back to my farm,

in the end what does it matter were people live?

just be happy were you lay your hat,

jake

im not sayibg its bad, ive had some brillient times there many years ago, my friend from the same town as me in england Phil owns the coral reef bar soi 8 hes been there for over 20 years, its changed we all know that, there is the eastern europe people who dont like spending money and bar owners are finding it hard,

ive been to chang mai stayed in the royal princess hotel, visited all the tourist places, the water falls, hot spa, orchid farm, wood carvin ect, was good for a holiday, me and the wife like to have hollidays away from nokarn nowere,

jake

Right that's it Jake, all Pattaya residents looking to move are coming to live next door to you, I'm sure you'll welcome them with open arms and a big smile, not like some of the wannabe Toffs of Chang Mai...tongue.png

Edited by MB1

'Exodus' threads like this remind me of the hysteria around the GBP-THB exchange rate a few months back. Hundreds, if not thousands, of TV'ers were allegedly at the airport on their way back to the Old Blighty. OK - maybe not hundreds - surely tens ? Hard men who talked the talk and walked the walk - all the way to the BA counter at Swampy.

Happy to hear otherwise, but by my count the tally was three. ;)

cheesy.gif

Dangerous to generalise on that point and whereas I might have agreed with you a couple of years ago, today there's a lot of very expensive property to be had in CM, new houses selling at Land and House for 18 and 24 million!

please define "a lot" coffee1.gif

cheesy.gif

please define "a lot" coffee1.gif

Please also define your property pricing methodology that produces the one third higher answer. giggle.gif

A few years ago it was common place to se construction adverts around town describing new boxes houses for under 1.5 million, today those same ads. price houses as starting at 4 million. Anectodotally, a farang neighbour is looking to buy a house and is using a handful of local agents and 4 million is pretty much the starting point for anything halfway decent. Turning back to the billboards for a moment, there's a goodly display of new properties advertsied in the circe 11 million range and I know of at least three areas catering to the 20+ million group, how many houses in each group I couldn't begin to guess and I'm not inclined to count them!

So the take away from this is that my property pricing methodology is probably not that far away from yours, suffice to say however that the days of super inexpensive property in this neck of the woods are long gone.

There is nothing special about Chiang Mai,and with the heavy pollution,maybe thats why some of the expats have a head the size of a melon.

Or a head the size of a 500 baht cabbage, no names no pack drill hey...But if the cap fits he can wear it...

By the way Somtampet, remark not directed at you..wai.gif

No probs,

I am one of the expats who supposed to drink and whore every night, and after 10 years here,i still havent seen where the shithole is,plenty to do for me,like living a normal retired life

Ah, Thaivisa at its best, with posters fighting like aforementioned moat rats in a sack.... Lighten up <deleted>, and stop being so parochial: it's supposed to be a light-hearted thread.

Pats residents must be feeling really victimised (whilst Phuket ones are feeling smug, cos we no one's started bashing them yet whistling.gif )

........but whichever way you want to look at it, CM is best! cheesy.gif

my method is using the postings of Chiang Mai residents in Thaivisa. nearly all postings prove that rentals as well as property purchases are a fraction of those in Pattaya.

Curiosity got the better of me so I did do some counting - I visited two large CM real estate agents web sites and this is what they say:

Houses Fof Sale - number of properties advertised

<10 mill = 70 & 13

5-10 mill = 90 & 19

2-5 mill = 90 & 50

1-2 mill = 20 % 18

>1 mill = 0 & 2

Houses for Rent - number of properties advertised

<10k = 95

10-25k = 195

25-50k = 61

<50k = 5

I don't know how meaningful that data is but it's probably a step up from gut feel and counting advertsing boards along the highway.

As for posts/claims made by CM residents: as memory serves me there are one or two people who are especially voluble about how little it costs to live up here, they claim that housing in particular can be had for next to nothing but in both cases I think they refer to space under a bridge!

Happy to hear from the CM guys on this, but doesnt the price of accomm go up markedly the closer you get to the Night Market ? It seems that a big part of the 'attraction' is being able to rent a house with a nice garden etc further out of town for reasonable money - no argument that they look nice in the photos, but I've never been a big fan of any form of commute. Horses for courses, and I'm sure its different if you have a family.

Happy to hear from the CM guys on this, but doesnt the price of accomm go up markedly the closer you get to the Night Market ? It seems that a big part of the 'attraction' is being able to rent a house with a nice garden etc further out of town for reasonable money - no argument that they look nice in the photos, but I've never been a big fan of any form of commute. Horses for courses, and I'm sure its different if you have a family.

Certainly the further out you go the cheaper things CAN become although proximity to the Night Market is not necessarily a key factor. There is a series of locations around CM that are considered to be desirable and this list is growing as new shopping centres are constructed, the new Promeneada Mall is a case in point - two additional malls have yet to open!

Older more established areas that have increased in value and become highly desirable include Watkate near the river in the NE) and Nimenheman (sp) near the University, renowned for its trendy nightlife, both becomming really quite expensive in pockets. Where I live it was common for condo's to turn over frequently and the price to remain flat, now there's a waiting list and you never see/hear about the transaction until it's done and the prices are very much on the up.

Final thought is that CM often reminds me of Detroit, it's hollow in the center and everyone lives in the suburbs, the only thing in the centre of CM is the Night Market which is a night time tourist attraction, during the daytime it's sleepy and frankly a mess.

Edited by chiang mai

Ah, Thaivisa at its best, with posters fighting like aforementioned moat rats in a sack.... Lighten up &lt;deleted&gt;, and stop being so parochial: it's supposed to be a light-hearted thread.

Pats residents must be feeling really victimised (whilst Phuket ones are feeling smug, cos we no one's started bashing them yet whistling.gif )

........but whichever way you want to look at it, CM is best! cheesy.gif

Phuket has already been beaten to death and kicked to the curb, no need to even bring it up anymore.. :-)

Mostly what drove me out of Chiang Mai was the smog. The weak nightlife was not that much of a factor

since I am now a family man. So yeah if government there ever figured out how to stop the hill tribes from

burning off all the mountains it would be good place to live.

• Like 1

jake

Right that's it Jake, all Pattaya residents looking to move are coming to live next door to you, I'm sure you'll welcome them with open arms and a big smile, not like some of the wannabe Toffs of Chang Mai...tongue.png

these should do the job,,lol,,

dad as just got to train lad now,,lol

post-32351-0-70020600-1379569029_thumb.j

• Like 2