Thai Army Conscription

BKKonmymind

I'm an American married to a Thai. Our children, two boys and a girl, have American birth certificates and passports. We are getting our kids their Thai birth certificates and they will have Thai passports in the next year or so.

We plan on moving to Thailand in about three years. I will probably have the option of using either US or Thai passports for my kids to enter and stay in the Kingdom at that time.

While staying in Thailand on a Thai passport would be very convenient for my kids because of no worries about visa runs, overstays, etc., what would be the possibility of conscription into the Thai Army for my two boys? One would be turning eighteen when we arrive and the other would be starting high school.

I know that not all Thai males serve in the military because of a quasi-lottery system and because $$ will bet you out of it. Years ago, my wife's brother got out of Thai military service after paying a sum, even though he is from a relativily poor background.

Thanks.

I'm an American married to a Thai. Our children, two boys and a girl, have American birth certificates and passports. We are getting our kids their Thai birth certificates and they will have Thai passports in the next year or so.

We plan on moving to Thailand in about three years. I will probably have the option of using either US or Thai passports for my kids to enter and stay in the Kingdom at that time.

While staying in Thailand on a Thai passport would be very convenient for my kids because of no worries about visa runs, overstays, etc., what would be the possibility of conscription into the Thai Army for my two boys? One would be turning eighteen when we arrive and the other would be starting high school.

I know that not all Thai males serve in the military because of a quasi-lottery system and because $$ will bet you out of it. Years ago, my wife's brother got out of Thai military service after paying a sum, even though he is from a relativily poor background.

Thanks.

In the office we have 8 males between 28 - 46, all Uni educated. None of them did conscription.

Where I previously lived - no Uni graduates and about 60% had been conscripted.

There are various deferments or opt outs available - one is to be part of a school cadet force for a certain time (I forget the years) and this lies in lieu of conscription.

There are lots of 'get outs' if you ask around.

Mind you - if your kids are going to hold dual nationality, I think looking at the immediate future that they are far more liable to be conscripted by the US military.

It wouldn't take much to have it re-introduced in the current sabre rattling climate............. :o

Every district has a certain quota of new recruits that has to be filled. First will be the ones volonteering for service, and the unfilled number will be chosen by lottery. The age one has to attend the lottery is 21, but one can volonteer earlier.

The time to be served depends also on educational level, mor 6 upwards have to serve one year, lower than that two years. Blokes serving in a combat regiment will receive afterwards a certificate that makes it very easy to get a job.

To answer your question - i believe that chances are very low for your sons being conscripted. But anyhow, i don't see too much problems with having to serve for a such a short while.

From your post it would seem that your children were born outside of Thailand, which leads to an interesting point, do they speak fluent Thai? If they were unfortunate enough to get the wrong coloured ball at the lottery, they still have to go for a medical and an interview. If their Thai is not sufficiently passable, they woud be rejected.

If the occasion ever arises, just tell them to speak english at their interview. :o