Thai bank lost transfer money

Wife.

10k missing.

Hmmm.

I won't claim to have insight into the logic of someone trying a scam, but she already had the Baht 10,000. Unless she's looking for another Baht 10,000 to "replace" the supposedly lost amount, what would be the point of her fabricating that her parents didn't get it?

She could pocket the Baht 10,000 and just keep quiet. I doubt very much the O/P is going to grill the parents on whether or not they got the money. If that were even remotely likely, the wife would just tell them to zip it up.

Now if she's claiming she needs another Baht 10,000 it might make sense, but otherwise it seems she's nothing to gain from trying to blame the bank.

And, of course, some of us immediately assume the only person trying it on is the wife. Maybe "someone else" is looking for a way to play the bank for some mythical lost cash.

That bank as a whole has some of the worst exchange rates (US - Thai) going. I say, switch banks. There are enough thieves in the banking industry first and this bank is one of them. I was charged $174 for 5000bht last night, even though the exchange rate was at $160 for 5000bht. So even with the 'service charge' added they took more than they should have. So 'loosing' your transfer does not seem too far fetched!

Apart from the OP, am I the only person whose cash has gone AWOL during a transfer?

For that reason, I always retain the receipts until I have confirmed the safe arrival of the cash, and generally, I transfer from a bank account, so that if the money cannot find its way to the right destination, it can retrace its steps to get home safely

Anyway, without the receipts the OP is on a hiding to nothing, but it's worth a try. Go to the same branch, register the problem, leave phone numbers, have the same ID that was used at the time of the transfer; I expect the money will come back to the same branch sooner or later if it cannot find its way to the correct place, and as others have said, it is highly unlikely to settle itself in the wrong account simply through a single clumsy-fingered mistake. of course, the other mistake possible is that a valid but incorrect account could have been entered - paying the phone bill instead of the electric bill, so to speak.

Another situation in which money has gone missing for me involved transfer of money from one currency to another. The receiving bank opened up a foreign currency account on my behalf, and held the money there, instead of converting the money into local currency and putting it in my local currency account. If they had told me about this foreign currency account that they had opened on my behalf, I would have been less distressed.

SC

let's check the current line/odds on this one... (this applies to all current matches in progress and not necessarily this one in particular):

Thaivisa Brain Trust vs. por 3 educated local..............

Mia Falang +5, +3 if it's lottery day or there is a 'must see' soap opera on TV.

I payed extra for a Swiss Bank to send 2Mil Bht here fast .Bangkok Bank lost it in Cyberspace For a Week or more,but honoured the transaction had been done correctly, and gave me without asking a more than fair compensation. Credit due to an Honest Bank. It made me Jump when they said its gone missing,i must say.thumbsup.gif