Thai bank lost transfer money

On holiday recently the wife transferred 10000 baht to her parents through Krung Thai Bank. I assume it was a cash transfer. Of course she didn't keep the receipt. The transfer didn't take place and Krung Thai have no record of the transefer, surprise surprise.

I am guessing that this is a write off.

I wouldn't know how else to verify the transfer without some sort of a receipt....at least in the bank book when you run it through the machine, but that would mean that they have a record. You have to be really careful about this as just one number off or the wrong bank name will make it go elsewhere. It does seem odd, though, that it would completely get lost. Even a mistake (like it getting sent to another account) would have been recorded. Good luck, but it sounds like the money went elsewhere.

Suradit69 is correct.

Wear decent clothes, make sure you are well groomed, put on a nice smile and go along to the bank with your wife.

Be polite and ask to see the Manager. Make sure you take Passport and any other documentation with you and you'll at least be in with a chance.

In banking, there is a term called "contra." Every banking transaction requires two things - a debit and a credit. Examples are that if you make a cash deposit, there is the cash-in record, and the deposit record. The cash-in record is a debit and the credit to your account is the offsetting credit. This is how the bank's books record an addition of cash in the vault and an increase in your bank account to offset it.

So, you need to have 1/2 of the transaction - the debit or the credit. In the case of a deposit, the receipt is proof on one side. Then it is up to the bank to prove where it went. Likewise, a debit to your checking account needs a matching credit such as a deposit to another account, issuance of a bank check, a receipt for cash, or other.

So if you can prove 1/2 of the transaction such as a processed check, the bank can trace the other half through its bookkeeping.

If you can't prove 1/2 of the transaction, meaning you can't prove a transaction occurred, then you might be out of luck.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

On holiday recently the wife transferred 10000 baht to her parents through Krung Thai Bank. I assume it was a cash transfer.

Could you, like, ask your wife? Is there an intimidation factor here? The fact that you don't know seems a warning sign.

• Like 1

Wear decent clothes, make sure you are well groomed, put on a nice smile and go along to the bank with your wife.

...and ask for the CCTV recording of the day and approximate time of the transaction to be reviewed.

and don't forget to brush your teeth! whistling.gif

• Like 1

On holiday recently the wife transferred 10000 baht to her parents through Krung Thai Bank. I assume it was a cash transfer.

Could you, like, ask your wife? Is there an intimidation factor here? The fact that you don't know seems a warning sign.

If this was my wife, I would assume she was lying to me.

No receipt on a 10,000bht transaction, does that really seem likely?

There has been a few cases over the last few years when I was withdrawing money from a Thai bank ATM where the money was dispensed but I was not given a receipt even through I pushed the button saying "Yes, I want a receipt." And there was no screen notification that the ATM couldn't provide a receipt at the time due to being out of paper....it just asked do you want a receipt or not with the Yes or No selections being on the opposite side of the screen so you couldn't fat-finger a wrong entry....I said Yes....but it just didn't give me a receipt. But the transaction was logged correctly when checking via ibanking or doing a passbook update.

Speaking of fat-fingering, hopefully the wife didn't make a typo in what the transfer to account was and the money flowed to the wrong account. But, the record of the transaction will be with the bank which will also show which account it was transferred to.

Yes, that would seem to be astonishingly obvious, to actually ask the wife instead of coming on here and "assuming" that this transfer even took place. Is Thailand a magnet for ball-less farangs?

• Like 1

Gotta agree with some of the other guys here. She spent it cheesy.gif If I put a lazy 10,000 baht in my wife's hands and said, "Here, go and deposit this" She would !!!!! She'd deposit it at the hairdressers, then she'd have to have her nails done, then that beautiful watch she had been looking at for a few weeks, well, it would have miraculously appeared on her wrist, and that

expensive dress that she had admired, which I had scoffed at the price, well she'd turn up in it, and lets not forget those lovely new shoes. In fact she looks like such a treat, I may even take

her out to dinner tonight. Ahhh, such is the price of love. No harm done here, you probably owed her this and more anyway. Go Girl Go....A girl after my own heart....wub.png

• Like 2

Did you wife have her own account with KTB, or not, if yes then she should have transferred the10K out of her A/c book via the withdrawal -slip to the receiving A/c of her parents via the deposit-slip.

The transaction would then be notable in her bank book, and therefore able to be confirmed

Nevertheless the current transfer problem is bound to be sorted if properly outlined by your wife's bank visit.

I was under the impression that an entry in a passbook does not constitute proof that a transaction took place. I guess anybody could make a false entry so there is a certain logic to that. Maybe some diligent soul who for reasons that escape me has taken the trouble to be able to decipher Thai writings will let us know if this information appears in the passbook.

I wouldn't know how else to verify the transfer without some sort of a receipt....at least in the bank book when you run it through the machine, but that would mean that they have a record. You have to be really careful about this as just one number off or the wrong bank name will make it go elsewhere. It does seem odd, though, that it would completely get lost. Even a mistake (like it getting sent to another account) would have been recorded. Good luck, but it sounds like the money went elsewhere.

That is bull sh*t every bank has a record of money sent out unless the cashier knows some tricks.

If she did a transfer via an ATM, simply pushing an incorrect number for the receiving account would rarely result in being a valid bank account number. Bank account numbers are not issued sequentially, the numbers must conform to CDV (Check Digit Verification). Essentially this means that a bank account number must compute to an algorithm. Therefore, her saying she punched the incorrect numbers and maybe some unknown rice farmer's wife in Nakon Nowhere got the money wouldn't hold much water.

Once again, assuming this was an ATM transfer, she would have seen the name of the recipient on the screen as part of the process - I assume she knows her Mum's name?

The bank will have computer records of the transaction and will be happy to provide details if you request them. It might cost a search fee and may take a few days, but they will do it. I know because I got a mysterious deposit of 10k Baht and asked them for the details. Turned out to be a glitch in the network and there was a corresponding 10k debit that I hadn't spotted - the ATM network crashed immediately after I made a withdrawal and data got delayed/mashed. The transactions were interbank clearing/balancing transactions as part of the network crash. The point being that the bank were happy to research it for me.

Once you've been to the bank, you should know the truth about the transaction. I don't think you're going to like the outcome unfortunately. coffee1.gif

EDIT: On the other hand, maybe the parents DID receive the money but are denying it in an attempt to get more money. If this is the case, your wife is duty bound to "believe" them, even if she suspects that they're telling porkies.. Face, and honour the parents blah blah blah.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

We just need more information here to be able to offer sensible advice..

10,000 baht doesn't just "go missing".

My the way, one digit wrong will never go to another account. Account numbers have a check digit that makes 1 digit errors, or the more usual transposition errors invalid. If you got 2 digits wrong there would still only be a 1 in 10 chance of it being a valid account number.

I've had similar difficulties; where for some reason the transfer was unsuccessful.

If the money goes overseas, it will take several days to return if the destination was incorrectly specified - perhaps with exchange losses to boot. This is a problem with the UK Banking System, which seems to rely on the IBAN number which is a ridiculously long string of digits and letters.

I had one mishap when a fellow colleague, also a Cowboy, went to the bank to make a transfer - coincidentally the same branch as my own, and the bank transferred the money out of the first Cowboy account they found. The first I knew of it was an email, which I assumed to be fraudulent, from my former colleague, saying "Hawaythair, SC, I've transferred the money back into your account, don't worry it'll be there tomorrow...". A timely reminder of the importance of keeping your paperwork, and diligently studying your statements.

SC

I was under the impression that an entry in a passbook does not constitute proof that a transaction took place. I guess anybody could make a false entry so there is a certain logic to that. Maybe some diligent soul who for reasons that escape me has taken the trouble to be able to decipher Thai writings will let us know if this information appears in the passbook.

Well, the book is updated by putting it into a machine. The machine then prints out the transactions. So, if it is there, it is on their computers. So, maybe it isn't "proof", but it IS proof that the transaction is or was on the bank's computer system, since that is where it is from.

I stopped using KTB ATMs about 6 months ago. Withdrew ฿ 20000, no receipt, no money, screen message 'Out of Service". But they posted it and took the money from my USA bank acct. I eventually got it back but stopped using KTB and now I do wire transfers to my Bangkok Bank account and when I use an ATM I keep the amount small.

• Like 1

In banking, there is a term called "contra." Every banking transaction requires two things - a debit and a credit. Examples are that if you make a cash deposit, there is the cash-in record, and the deposit record. The cash-in record is a debit and the credit to your account is the offsetting credit. This is how the bank's books record an addition of cash in the vault and an increase in your bank account to offset it.

So, you need to have 1/2 of the transaction - the debit or the credit. In the case of a deposit, the receipt is proof on one side. Then it is up to the bank to prove where it went. Likewise, a debit to your checking account needs a matching credit such as a deposit to another account, issuance of a bank check, a receipt for cash, or other.

So if you can prove 1/2 of the transaction such as a processed check, the bank can trace the other half through its bookkeeping.

If you can't prove 1/2 of the transaction, meaning you can't prove a transaction occurred, then you might be out of luck.

If money was supposedly transferred between the wife's bank account and another bank account and the transfer did not take place then the 10k is still in the wife's bank account, yes?

Well no, we are reading here. So the money came out of the wife's bank account, yes?

Yes. So there must be a record of the money coming out of the wife's account.

What I might want to check is whether the money debited is recorded as a transfer or a cash withdrawal.

Once you know that the rest of the story will be easier.