Chaturon vows to end school errand-for-pass practice

webfact

EDUCATION
Chaturon vows to end school errand-for-pass practice

The Nation

30215153-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Education Minister Chaturon Chaisang said he would review the practice of allowing primary pupils who fail exams to earn a pass by helping teachers with their errands.

Chaturon said he'd heard that in many cases, students could automatically pass exams - and those who failed certain subjects could be "re-tested" - by helping teachers with work such as flower arranging or classroom cleaning. This has led to students being unable to read well into secondary education, a situation that affects the whole education system, the minister said.

Instead of letting children pass easily, which resulted in problems, conditions should be set, he said. "Such as, where kids are unable to read and write, there should be a condition for them to undergo intensive tutoring until they can pass the test and be allowed to continue to the next level. We can't just let them pass when they can't read," he added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-19

• Like 1

Oh yes i'm sure he will be able to put an end to this and all the other practices that allow students to " pass ' exams they failed or get grades they didn't earn.

While he's at it how about admission to schools and universities because of who the student is irrespective of ability or appropriate grades ?

Heavens no this won't do, it goes against Thai culture and tradition.

I don't know of any schools that don't pass all students. At the schools I've worked at the kids that failed were always bumped up to the 50% passing grade and that was without helping me arrange flowers! Even if their re-test score was still a fail we've been told to pass them. Amazing Thailand smile.png

• Like 2

Considering ending the long standing practice?

Not a bad idea Numbskull. Better to find out how did this long standing issue become an entrenched tradition?

Spot on. The Thai education system is a broken, corrupt failure, and simply put, an abject lesson in utter futility.

There is no hope, unless parents take to the streets in mass protest.

Sadly, as a product of the same system, this will never happen.

Banning this pratice will have absolutely zero impact. The fact that it exists speaks volumes about teachers' attitudes to professional responsibility and ethical standards in the first place.

Hope for the future of the children of Thailand is growing weaker and less resolute by the day.

sent from my hippo phone

Not a bad idea Numbskull. Better to find out how did this long standing issue become an entrenched tradition?

Spot on. The Thai education system is a broken, corrupt failure, and simply put, an abject lesson in utter futility.

Banning this pratice will have absolutely zero impact. The fact that it exists speaks volumes about teachers' attitudes to professional responsibility and ethical standards in the first place.

Hope for the future of the children of Thailand is growing weaker and less resolute by the day.

sent from my hippo phone

Well here's another example, about three years back at a mainstream Thai uni.

A 'lecturer' (old Thai female, refuses to listen to anybody about anything, including the dean) takes about 6 students from her English program (Economics, taught in in international (English) program, into the teachers computer room. There task is to complete a total spreadsheet of assessments factors (the six come from the same class, total class number about 50) including:

a). Mark the actual final test papers, and give a score xx/yy.

B). Recall which students got a true of false question right and how many times total for the whole course(meaning spoken questions in the classroom) and give scores,

c). Recall which students tried to answer a quiz question in the class and give scores

d). Recall how many correct answers, whole course for the students identified in c). above, and give scores

e). More assessment factors, then ultimately give a final grade to all 50 students including themselves.

Other lecturers come into the teachers computer room and ask the 6 why they are in the teachers computer room, the students explain, complaint lodged with dean, no further action.

The topper; this is an international bachelor degree program (meaning taught in English), in reality the lecturer concerned here can speak excellent English, but she taught the class in Thai language. Why? 'This is Thailand, not necessary to teach the program in Thai'. Many students complained to the course director ('I paid big money for an English program, but the lecturer conducts every lesson in Thai. Not OK, please fix it'. ) Nothing fixed.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

sent from my hippo phone

But the Thai education system is just a mirror of everything Thai - a big front for nothing of much use. The same goes for its society, its local administration and planning laws, its police, its justice system, its laws, its peculiar take on what justice really is, its TV stars, its soaps, its politicians, its prime ministers, its take on Buddhism. Where is there any sincerity and honesty and fairness. Those qualities are just not 'Thainess' so what can you really expect? Edited by timewilltell
  • Like 1

"by helping teachers with work such as flower arranging or classroom cleaning."

This is truly good news as my dirty farrang mind made me falsely think there may be tea money involved...

I have previously tried to faila student who only attended 2 classes during the year, and one of those was because I saw him walking past and physically dragged him into the room.

I was, of course, over-ruled because his father was a police general.

I have also tried to solve the "problem" by having 2 exam papers - the white one, where a student was marked on actual results and could achieve 100% - or could fail .... and a green paper where the student was guaranteed a 50% passing grade but could not score more than 50% - it only had one question: write your name in the box. Was that too cynical? This school was populated by the children of police and military and they will prosper no matter what the utcome of their schooling. To be fair, some ofthose students have gone on to interesting and demanding academic and commercial careers, who knows what doors were opened for them, but their progression within those positions has definitely required diligence and application on their part and I am proud of them and their achievements.

I have also had an instance of a Thai teacher "borrowing" the answer key to my exam and passing it to the class.

If you REALLY want to fix it Mr Minister then start with the Ministry of Education and FIRE EVERYBODY over 50 years old and promote teachers ONLY on merit.

If you want to know who to promote, ask the students.

After that if any teachers or schools take tea money or bribes for ANYTHING, fire the teachers and the admin staff.

If the teachers go on strike because of this it won't be much different than it is now.

You get the job for 4 years or the length of Parliament.

You get the freedom to change as you wish but it will be YOUR RESPONSIBILITY alone for the success or failure.

Do you still want the job?

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1

The main problem here is that nobody can ever fail due to the loss of face. SCREW FACE ! If the kid sucks, they must be told they suck, then there is a chance they may try to improve ! You can't fix a problem until you face up to the fact that there is one.

The most obvious idiom this misses is "spare the rod spoil the child". Probably goes on to explain thousands of societal ills in Thailand.

Kids that really believe life is soooo easy.

I have been an English teacher for the past five years in government schools. At the last high school I worked at, I was forced to enter the head of the English department's grades at the end of each term. I had to enter the grades into the official score book to be turned into the office. Without fail every term I was forced to give all of his students the same grade, except for one or two students that may have gotten a few extra points for actually being able to speak a sentence or two of English. Average class sizes were 40-45 students and about 38 would always have a 80-81% (grade 4). The other few would score higher. I was amazed that no administrators ever thought this was a bit strange. I found out later that the more students that went through with grade 4, the better he looked at his review, and he would recieve a raise or bonus. Also, the director would get great praise because all of his students were so wonderful at English. Amazing Thailand!

• Like 1

I have been an English teacher for the past five years in government schools. At the last high school I worked at, I was forced to enter the head of the English department's grades at the end of each term. I had to enter the grades into the official score book to be turned into the office. Without fail every term I was forced to give all of his students the same grade, except for one or two students that may have gotten a few extra points for actually being able to speak a sentence or two of English. Average class sizes were 40-45 students and about 38 would always have a 80-81% (grade 4). The other few would score higher. I was amazed that no administrators ever thought this was a bit strange. I found out later that the more students that went through with grade 4, the better he looked at his review, and he would recieve a raise or bonus. Also, the director would get great praise because all of his students were so wonderful at English. Amazing Thailand!

This is crazy situation but I've heard similar stories before. Doesn't it click with anyone that something is wrong when all of these ace students barely manage a 25% on external multiple choice exams. At least in my school we can give a realistic grade - only 2-3 of my m4 students will get a '4' this semester. About half the class will get a 2 or less. No wonder universities see it necessary to set their own entrance exams. School assessment is rubbish.

sent from my hippo phone

Well I took my kids away last month.

My daughter had a trip to Stratford on Avon today, and my son is busy catching up his French.

• 2 weeks later...

If you wish to spend the entire October break and the summer break tutoring students for no additional salary, that is what is expected.

That's me, today and for the next 3 weeks.

And I've been scolded by the former director during a teachers meeting before. "How come there are a 100 students failing your course?"

Well, because I'm the only one who cares about teaching them something.

I still give them the marks they deserve. They still fail. I have to stay during the holidays to teach them until they are actually able to use some of what I have taught.

It's totally unfair.

I wish the educational system exploded so we could rebuild it from scratch.

But at least I can look at myself in the mirror without feeling like I'm a pathetic excuse for a teacher like many out there.

Edited by kunnatee