Humour in my speech......is it possible?

eyecatcher

Better to be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

If you had to be told you were the groom, you have bigger problems than a speech.

Another numpty...read post #13.

Its actually so hilarious, that some farangs never see irony, sarcasm, black humour within the written word.

I think I have better chance of some laughs from THais than some of you lot .

Thanks for making me laugh though.

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

eyecatcher, why so gloomy about sarcasm? Irony, sarcasm, black humor - are shades of humor. Never saw any insult in them. tongue.png

True, I do get some flack here on TV when use sarcastic remarks. Never bothered with them. As it is said, - If one didn't get it from God, one can't buy it at Chemists. cheesy.gif

Edited by ABCer

I agree with everyone who says to give the speach in Thai, they will laugh, especially if it is your translation. Other than that, visual slapstick jokes are well-digested, especially if they include violence, like slapping the misses or shooting someone - they seem to like that a lot. But getting laughs may come at expense of family harmony - make sure you shoot someone hated equally by all. Second thought, I'd turn to your best Mr. Bean immitation, maybe a silly sodden smirk with glass raised, toasting everyone - individually tailoring jestures, but no words. Yah, be a Mr. Bean, you don't have to say a thing. Good luck!

• Like 1

I've been to a dozen or more Thai style weddings (including my own) in the village and surrounds, I'm not in Isaan but here most of the people migrated from there anyway so it's the same. I've never seen anyone make a speech. If its a sit down at table affair you don't need to go to the monk part, if it's catered there might even be singers and dancing girls, if it's just at the girl's mother's home there might not be even much of a party. Thai humour is hard to crack, most often in spoken form I do so accidentally, they certainly like visual stimulation, I find that much easier, put on a pose, make a mocking face etc

Just tell them you love your bride so much that you are willing to give her family just as much money as her family will give you.

That's a great start to entering a family.
Yes, it is, it starts with honesty, which may be the single most important factor in any relationship.

Just tell them you love your bride so much that you are willing to give her family just as much money as her family will give you.

That's a great start to entering a family.
Yes, it is, it starts with honesty, which may be the single most important factor in any relationship.

Aaah, you have been divorced, yourself.whistling.gif