What are you diabetics eating for breakfast?

george

Bicarb is suggested as a treatment for diabetes as well. Treatments like this, however effective, are not put forward by the pharmaceutical industries, ... for obvious reasons ,,, $$$

'We already know that sodium bicarbonate dramatically slows the progress of chronic kidney disease but few have followed the logical conclusion that it would also be a front line defense against diabetes. From prevention to treatment and to part of a cure, common Baking Soda is an essential tool in working with diabetic and metabolic syndromes. Obviously it does not take the place of an alkaline diet and water but bicarbonate is a front line medicine that doctors and patients can employ orally and transdermally in baths.'

http://drsircus.com/medicine/sodium-bicarbonate-baking-soda/diabetes-acid-conditions-and-treatment-with-sodium-bicarbonate

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Stay away from all types of sugar (even juices). You will get all your C-vitamines from vegetables.

- Skip bread and other carbohydrates (musli, oat etc).

- EAT protein, vegetables and fat (real traditional food!). It will keep you full all day and your blood sugar at a low stable level.

- The best part is that you will never feel really hungry (ready to faint).

You will see and feel the difference after only a few days and after some months perhaps you can cut down or even remove your medication.

More info here.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-cure-type-2-diabetes

Edited by Nilz
  • Like 2

I was diagnosed as Type 2 Diabetic in 1999. I don't control my intake too well. However, for breakfast I have Rolled Oats, Muesli, Plain yoghurt, a little unsweetened Soya milk, and a few Almond nuts. I add a third of a tea spoon of Cinnamon, as I've heard that this helps keep down Blood/Sugar levels. This keeps my going until lunch time, and is pretty much low carb.

Gruntfuttock

- Stay away from all types of sugar (even juices). You will get all your C-vitamines from vegetables.

- Skip bread and other carbohydrates (musli, oat etc).

- EAT protein, vegetables and fat (real traditional food!). It will keep you full all day and your blood sugar at a low stable level.

You will see and feel the difference after only a few days and after some months perhaps you can cut down or even remove your medication.

More info here.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-cure-type-2-diabetes

totally agree.

Needless to say I didn't drink the tea, a local thai restaurant cooks 'no added suger' meals for me by request, when I'm not cooking for myself. Sugar is like food for cancer, which thrives in acidic conditions, and shrinks from alkaline. It contributes towards many health disorders.

I had type 2 diabetes about 2.5 years ago, and the only thing that I did was got out any refined sugars, rice, pasta, white bread, cereals and started more excercising. for breakfast I would have my normal breakfast of eggs and a piece of whole wheat bread. My diabetic clinic told me not to drink any type of juices or banana's. Now 2.5 years later I have lost 55kgs and no longer have high blood sugar. Hope this helps

What you're talking about is blood sugar under control. People always think this means they have been cured and it sends out a false sense of security. If your blood sugar has ever been in the diabetic range you'll always have to be careful.

I had type 2 diabetes about 2.5 years ago, and the only thing that I did was got out any refined sugars, rice, pasta, white bread, cereals and started more excercising. for breakfast I would have my normal breakfast of eggs and a piece of whole wheat bread. My diabetic clinic told me not to drink any type of juices or banana's. Now 2.5 years later I have lost 55kgs and no longer have high blood sugar. Hope this helps

Bloody hell, 55kg is a whole Thai person. You managed to get rid of a whole Thai!

LOL... it's nearly 2 of my wife, who only weighs 38kg.

Edited by tropo

Type 2 (or 1.5 according to some). My standard breakfast is one egg, two sausages and one slice of seven grain toast. Numbers don't jump too much with that. Not the healthiest of breakfasts though!

This is the key to choosing a good breakfast - TEST before and after it... at 1 hour and 2 hours.

What works for one person will not work for another. Many are suggesting milk while damning fruit juice, but milk is also loaded with simple sugar, otherwise known as lactose. Some are suggesting low fat or zero fat milk. This is not really a good idea because lower fat milk always has more lactose and the fat content can help to moderate BG spikes.

Diabetes is a progressive disease. Type 2 can range from near normal in which case BG can be controlled by diet and exercise - to severe where much medication is needed unless the meal is near zero carbohydrate.

TEST, TEST, Don't guess.

• Like 2

Bicarb is suggested as a treatment for diabetes as well. Treatments like this, however effective, are not put forward by the pharmaceutical industries, ... for obvious reasons ,,, $$$

'We already know that sodium bicarbonate dramatically slows the progress of chronic kidney disease but few have followed the logical conclusion that it would also be a front line defense against diabetes. From prevention to treatment and to part of a cure, common Baking Soda is an essential tool in working with diabetic and metabolic syndromes. Obviously it does not take the place of an alkaline diet and water but bicarbonate is a front line medicine that doctors and patients can employ orally and transdermally in baths.'

http://drsircus.com/medicine/sodium-bicarbonate-baking-soda/diabetes-acid-conditions-and-treatment-with-sodium-bicarbonate

I'm sorry but this is simply not true, from a medical perspective, bi-carb is NOT suggested as a treatment for diabetes. However, bi-carb is a potentially useful therapy in the treatment of diabetes ketoacidosis, which is complication associated with diabetes mellitus, not all diabetes sufferers will develop ketoacidosis hence it is incorrect to imply that all diabetes sufferers would benefit from it - to use the bi-carb treatment indescriminately would be irresponsible.

The site quoted is just one of many "quack" sites to be found on the web. They are easily identified, as this one, is by the disclaimer

"LEGAL NOTICE: The Author specifically invokes the First Amendment rights of freedom of speech and of the press without prejudice. The information you will receive with our consultations is for informational purposes only under the rights guaranteed by the First Amendment of the Constitution for the United States of America, and should not in any way be used as a substitute for the advice of a physician or other licensed health care practitioner. The statements contained on my sites and in my books have not been evaluated by the FDA. The products discussed are not intended to diagnose, cure, prevent or treat any disease but are proven useful for health and life extension. We always recommend when and wherever possible that licensed local healthcare professionals be consulted."

Bicarb has no part to play in the day to day treatment of diabetes or kidney disease !

• Like 1

My key foods for diabetes, regardless of which meal:

Spinach, almonds, brocolli, oatmeal, salmon, spinach, blueberries, yogurt, and more spinach.

Food that's not allowed in the house:

Bread, pasta, rice, potato's, refined carbs of any kind, anything containing sugar.

Makro is where I get my breakfast.. Diabetic 15 years... Big sack Corn Flakes.... Oatmeal or Porridge... Frozen fruit [ 1 KG bags from 79 baht often have Promotions Buy 1 get 1 Free will buy 10 or 20 KG and pop into freezer ] always have when can buy, a banana, long ones and less then 25 baht a bunch, [cannot always get long ones, and sometimes silly prices] and yogurt, so a number of different types of breakfast per week..

Sorry cannot stomach fatty or greasy food at any time, so a fry up = never.......... number of friends in UK diabetic follow the Atkins diet, meats, fats, fry ups and say there reading is down and stays down.. just not for me.

Breakfast this morning was Porridge, pinch of salt, big spoon of light powder milk in water poured on, 4 strawberries from freezer, 2 min in microwave, take out 1 yogurt on top, eat.

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

Gravlax (home made), multi grain rye crispbread (the ones that taste like carboard) - often a soft poached egg and oatmeal. I do like yoghurt and mango every now and then but I'm hungry and hour later when I eat fruit.

If I'm in the mood I will eat bitter melon and scrambled eggs - read up about bitter melon and diabetes.

Weekends are another story often a fry up and vegetarian the rest of the day.

I'm sorry but this is simply not true, from a medical perspective, bi-carb is NOT suggested as a treatment for diabetes. However, bi-carb is a potentially useful therapy in the treatment of diabetes ketoacidosis, which is complication associated with diabetes mellitus, not all diabetes sufferers will develop ketoacidosis hence it is incorrect to imply that all diabetes sufferers would benefit from it - to use the bi-carb treatment indescriminately would be irresponsible.

Treatment of ketoacidosis with bicarbonate is with intravenous bicarb, in a hospital, usually in an intensive care unit.

No relevance to home management of diabetes.

This is the key to choosing a good breakfast - TEST before and after it... at 1 hour and 2 hours.

What works for one person will not work for another.

Agree with this for initial period, people do differ some. No need to keep on testing after meals once you have found what works for you, but it can be helpful in working out an initial diet plan.

I am very surprised by those who mentioned rice soup (kao thum) as it is about as high in glycemic index as anything can get short of pure sugar water. Even allowing for individual idiosyncrasies I don't see how it can be advisable as part of a diabetic diet.

Porridge - much will depend on what type and how prepared. Very processed grains cooked quite soft will be high in glycemic index whereas whole grains, especially if not overcooked, will be lower.

Spinach, almonds, brocolli, oatmeal, salmon, spinach, blueberries, yogurt, and more spinach.

Bread, pasta, rice, potato's, refined carbs of any kind, anything containing sugar.

Chicken and fish.

Sent from my MotoA953 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Chicken and fish.

Sent from my MotoA953 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You sound like a BA stewardess. biggrin.png

But very true of course.

I have diabetes type 2 since 10 years and has been advised by the Doc to eat salad or vegetables for breakfast. 

Do you Type 2 guys have a better idea, like Musli without sugar? Any brand name you can recommend. I have looked at Tesco-Lotus and Villa market, but all brands are unknown for me.

Any other breakfast suggestions that keeps your blood sugar low?

Thanks in advance!

I am a medico... now abitof advice which has probably been given... reduce your food intake. Type 2 can be CURED. Itis prevalent with just too much eating in 98% of ALL CASES. Regardless of your weight now... reduce whatyou eat. Carbonated sweet drinks...pre packaged juices...as they haveadded extra sugars ALCOHOL which is high in EVERYTHING white grains..yes rice included because of starch carbo compounds and switch to whole grain...brown rice products.

Do this andwithin 6 months youwill be on track to recovery.

YESIT TAKES AWAY WHAT YOU LOVE TO EAT... but the consequences of this short term pain for LONG TERMGAIN are this... your willy will stop working..blindness..cancer (usually inthe brain) fingers and toes going numb and leading to huge peoblems... and. Could go on.

So just change your diet NOW...lose weight moderately not too fast and go back toa better healthier non problematic life

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I have diabetes type 2 since 10 years and has been advised by the Doc to eat salad or vegetables for breakfast.

Do you Type 2 guys have a better idea, like Musli without sugar? Any brand name you can recommend. I have looked at Tesco-Lotus and Villa market, but all brands are unknown for me.

Thanks in advance!

I am a medico... now abitof advice which has probably been given... reduce your food intake. Type 2 can be CURED. Itis prevalent with just too much eating in 98% of ALL CASES. Regardless of your weight now... reduce whatyou eat. Carbonated sweet drinks...pre packaged juices...as they haveadded extra sugars ALCOHOL which is high in EVERYTHING white grains..yes rice included because of starch carbo compounds and switch to whole grain...brown rice products.

YESIT TAKES AWAY WHAT YOU LOVE TO EAT... but the consequences of this short term pain for LONG TERMGAIN are this... your willy will stop working..blindness..cancer (usually inthe brain) fingers and toes going numb and leading to huge peoblems... and. Could go on.

So just change your diet NOW...lose weight moderately not too fast and go back toa better healthier non problematic life

That's all true except the part about being able to cure Diabetes which is definitely not true. It is possible however to reduce the symptoms and to eliminate blood glucose spikes at a dangerous level through a carefully controlled diet. A program of weight loss at the outset is useful, endocrinologists typically recommend loosing ten per cent of your bodty weight, by doing so you will eliminate most of the fat around your internal organs and in particular eliminate fatty liver, this allows the body to manage glucose better.

One fairly recent and quite prominent theory is that a concentrated weight loss program in the early days of Type II Diabetes, a diet containing no more than 800 calories a day for nine weeks will return the metabolism to NEAR normal, the diabetes will never be cured because it is a progressive disease and once cells die they do not magically get reborn! I actually support that thoery bvecaus eit's more or less what I did albeit by accident and without knowing about that theory. Today I can eat low glycemic carbs, proteins and fat in a balanced and measured way and my blood glucose levels remain well managed. But if I eat a slice of white bread, a cake or similar my levels would skyrocket.

• Like 1

I guess my question is how can any processed carbohydrate be good for you. A few of the things mentioned here are just sugar wrapped in a brown cooked exterior cereal or some component of corn, wheat, or rice each of which after break down convert to a sugar which releases insulin.

Which of the few things are u referring to?

all of the various cereals people mentioned made from rice, corn, and wheat

Thanks in advance!

That's all true except the part about being able to cure Diabetes which is definitely not true. It is possible however to reduce the symptoms and to eliminate blood glucose spikes at a dangerous level through a carefully controlled diet. A program of weight loss at the outset is useful, endocrinologists typically recommend loosing ten per cent of your bodty weight, by doing so you will eliminate most of the fat around your internal organs and in particular eliminate fatty liver, this allows the body to manage glucose better.

One fairly recent and quite prominent theory is that a concentrated weight loss program in the early days of Type II Diabetes, a diet containing no more than 800 calories a day for nine weeks will return the metabolism to NEAR normal, the diabetes will never be cured because it is a progressive disease and once cells die they do not magically get reborn! I actually support that thoery bvecaus eit's more or less what I did albeit by accident and without knowing about that theory. Today I can eat low glycemic carbs, proteins and fat in a balanced and measured way and my blood glucose levels remain well managed. But if I eat a slice of white bread, a cake or similar my levels would skyrocket.

This is correct. Last time I was here I went down to around 600-800 calories a day, green veg only, for six months. All the weight gone and no more diabetes.

Then back to contracting in the UK and all back on again with terrible consequences.

Marcus is right about the effects. Left hand has been numb for the past five months with left arm aching all the way to the heart, blurred vision, extreme fatigue and endless (and very large) groin abscess'. The last abscess was in my sack. Ended up having it done under a local rather than a general anaesthetic due to work pressures, back at work next day and pulled the packing out myself. Whoo Hoo!!!! The doc said and I quote in an Iranian accent "You're right, you have an incredible tolerance for pain!"

Oh and my willy doesn't work.

I guess my question is how can any processed carbohydrate be good for you. A few of the things mentioned here are just sugar wrapped in a brown cooked exterior cereal or some component of corn, wheat, or rice each of which after break down convert to a sugar which releases insulin.

Which of the few things are u referring to?

all of the various cereals people mentioned made from rice, corn, and wheat

Cereals are fine as long as they are not processed cereal;s and contain all three elements of the grain, their low glycemic value means they take a long time for the body to break them down hence the glucose spike is shallow and short. But if that ceral or grain is processed and parts of it are removed and other things are added it becomes a problem, most breakfast cereals falll into this category - rolled or steel cuts oats (and some Quecik Oats) do not, as long as there is no added sugar..

• Like 1

Thanks in advance!

your advice is correct EXCEPT you can cure tyoe 2..not type 1

Thanks in advance!

your advice is correct EXCEPT you can cure tyoe 2..not type 1

Evidence published by an impartial medical authority with nothing to sell please?

Good info guys.

I was diagnosed with type 2, four years ago.

about 4 months ago, I got on nutrisystem for diabetics (i'm still in the states), lost 30 pounds and now i'm prediabetic. I no longer shoot insulin once at night. I gained most of the weight after I retired a few years ago. now I know that if you continue to eat the same, and you are 80% less active, fat happens. :)

i'm going to lose another 20 or so before I come over for a year or 3.

I was wondering what I could find to keep the blood sugar at a reasonable level. now I know.

take it easy folks.