Chuvit puts derailments down to cheap railway tracks

webfact

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh No. They better quickly revise the 2.2 trillion baht loan which includes cost for construction of the high speed rail. The estimate was based most likely on the rail cost with substandard steel. Perhaps yingluck can beg for an additional trillion to make sure the steel for the rails is adequate.

Edited by kirk0233

The brunt of the force delivered to the track goes to the sleepers and substrate as a pair of shock absorbers. Cheap steel must be REALLY cheap to be the culprit. I rode a train to Sirin two years ago, and there are places where the trains slow to a crawl because the sleepers are rotting out and the substrate is washing out...causing the trains to wobble from side to side on the way through the danger zone. Even expensive steel will buckle under these conditions. And, yes, I worked with railroads before. Standard flunkie. Maintenance is 70% culpable here--the steel is probably 30% (or less). Whenever I read an incomplete story, I always wonder who is being misdirected, and why. Some maintenance contractor could very well be a friend of the accusing party here... Just a thought. It's not a conspiracy. It's politics.

Resume rants.

Edited by FangFerang

Chuvit is well aware of the slander and libel laws of Thailand and you have to believe he has the proof to back up his claims. Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt and State Railway of Thailand (SRT) Governor Prapat Chongsanguan certainly didn't accuse him of besmirching the good name of the SRT. Chuvit know corruption from the inside out as he, for many years, bribed the police to ignore his illegal operations. I'm glad for Thailand that he reformed himself, somewhat.

Wouldn't Chuvit be protected by parliamentary privilege?

You may have a point; I'm not qualified to answer how far parliamentary privilege goes. Still, he got no immediate argument from the Transport Minister of the SRT Governor.

Chuvit is well aware of the slander and libel laws of Thailand and you have to believe he has the proof to back up his claims. Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt and State Railway of Thailand (SRT) Governor Prapat Chongsanguan certainly didn't accuse him of besmirching the good name of the SRT. Chuvit know corruption from the inside out as he, for many years, bribed the police to ignore his illegal operations. I'm glad for Thailand that he reformed himself, somewhat.

Seems that he knows where a lot of the bodies are buried - after all he is still alive after several months/years of crusading.

Not sure of his motivation, but he may just be Thailand's best hope.... scary

It is scary that he seems to be the only voice speaking out and he brings photos and documents to back up his accusations. The Democrats are like a bunch of old women; they just complain. He may be suffering from 'Reformed Whore' complex. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=reformed%20whore

• Like 1

He may have a point. Chinese products do have a reputation of being cheap and cheerful. smile.png

Apple iPhones are Chinese products. Hardly cheap and cheerful. smile.png

China can produce any quality you want. It depends on what the specifications are. Apple demands high quality and they get it. Thailand demands low quality and they get it. This track situation has nothing to do with China and everything to do with corruption in the SRT.

• Like 1

Seems that he knows where a lot of the bodies are buried - after all he is still alive after several months/years of crusading.

Not sure of his motivation, but he may just be Thailand's best hope.... scary

I know his history but I think Chuvit is one person who could knock heads and get Thailand working together.

• Like 2

A previous poster was right on about the condition of the tracks and rolling stock to be seen at the Chiang Mai terminus. This system is not worthy to be considered a railroad. Narrow gauge, filthy old junk, tear it all out and get new tracks and equipment to build a full size, up to date system, capable of hauling freight and passengers safely. The high speed China Express idea is a pipe dream, and will be a horrible boondoggle if they ever decide to really do it.

Not sure what a boondoggle is but I think I'd like one with extra onions please.

If you used Sri Lankan or Pakistani railroads you will learn to appreciate the quality serene pace of Thai adventure rail,never sure wha day you'll arrive and a possible jolt out of bed hike along the tracks to a minibus! all part of what makes Amazing Thailand.

Edited by RubbaJohnny

Great ideas to begin to tackle corruption but no one is interested. The first thing you need to do is stop people running away when they are up for court or convicted and out on bail pending appeal. Thai cannot be trusted - least not to show up to be incarcerated.

I long to see the day when Thailand enforces a zero tolerance policy on corruption and set out to really enforce it.

Oh No. They better quickly revise the 2.2 trillion baht loan which includes cost for construction of the high speed rail. The estimate was based most likely on the rail cost with substandard steel. Perhaps yingluck can beg for an additional trillion to make sure the steel for the rails is adequate.

Off the mark a little Kirk. Estimates are always based on the best quality/highest priced materiel. The supply is always sub-standard low cost materiel. The gap in price between estimate and

supply = kick back, back hander, tea money, campaign funds, we're just getting our fair share or call it what you will.=CORRUPTION.

The brunt of the force delivered to the track goes to the sleepers and substrate as a pair of shock absorbers. Cheap steel must be REALLY cheap to be the culprit. I rode a train to Sirin two years ago, and there are places where the trains slow to a crawl because the sleepers are rotting out and the substrate is washing out...causing the trains to wobble from side to side on the way through the danger zone. Even expensive steel will buckle under these conditions. And, yes, I worked with railroads before. Standard flunkie. Maintenance is 70% culpable here--the steel is probably 30% (or less). Whenever I read an incomplete story, I always wonder who is being misdirected, and why. Some maintenance contractor could very well be a friend of the accusing party here... Just a thought. It's not a conspiracy. It's politics.

Resume rants.

I wonder if this is more a case of "incompletely reading the story" rather than "reading an incomplete story" . The article clearly includes both maintenance and ballast as causes

along with cheap steel. I am of course including ballast as substrate which I hope is correct. If so all the factors you mention are included in the article making it complete.

Rant ends.

Off the mark a little Kirk. Estimates are always based on the best quality/highest priced materiel. The supply is always sub-standard low cost materiel. The gap in price between estimate and

supply = kick back, back hander, tea money, campaign funds, we're just getting our fair share or call it what you will.=CORRUPTION.

2 trillion so the end bill will be around 12 trillion

He may have a point. Chinese products do have a reputation of being cheap and cheerful. smile.png

The steel may be cheap hard to say. Him being a politician and a Thai.

Maybe he can explain why cheap steel causes the road bed to sink.

It is always some one else's fault not the Thai government that has been pocketing the money ear marked for rail road maintenance for years.

Were his lips moving if they were it is a dead give away either he is lying or has no idea about what he is talking about.

2 trillion so the end bill will be around 12 trillion

The bill wont but the cost to the tax payers will.

It is always some one else's fault not the Thai government that has been pocketing the money ear marked for rail road maintenance for years.

Were his lips moving if they were it is a dead give away either he is lying or has no idea about what he is talking about.

Hate to disagree with another member but he is one guy who could get this country's s*it together.

One way or another he already has more money than he needs so not a factor.

Hate to disagree with another member but he is one guy who could get this country's s*it together.

Most of them have more money than they could ever need but to them it is a matter of feeling important. The more money they have the more important they feel.

That is a big part of the problem today. Not enough politicians on both sides of the aisle willing to live in the style they have and put their efforts into helping the every day average Thai. Even though it would mean a lessening of their assets.

No comment on his ability to get Thailand's sh*t together. Would require a new culture. One basically the same minus a few odds and ends. Give it two generations. By then the schools should be turning out students capable of reason and logic.

hmpf theyre trying to sneak this one past us

A fuel cargo train derailed yesterday morning in Nakhon Ratchasima's Sikhiu district, though no further damage or casualties were reported. The State Railway of Thailand said this accident had not been caused by flooding and that the train could be salvaged by yesterday evening.

The Nation September 24, 2013 1:00 am

http://nationmultimedia.com/national/Floods-under-control-30215522.html

I work with heavy duty Chinese steel and nothing wrong with it. Well, I've given it punishment and I'm still alive.

The Chinese have different grades of steel, generally adhering to international standards, and you get what you pay for.

There are different grades of Thais and I think Chuvit is the man to get them together.

• Like 1

Most of them have more money than they could ever need but to them it is a matter of feeling important. The more money they have the more important they feel.

That is a big part of the problem today. Not enough politicians on both sides of the aisle willing to live in the style they have and put their efforts into helping the every day average Thai. Even though it would mean a lessening of their assets.

No comment on his ability to get Thailand's sh*t together. Would require a new culture. One basically the same minus a few odds and ends. Give it two generations. By then the schools should be turning out students capable of reason and logic.

I think he is the one guy who can do it.

Much better odds than the rest of them.

He's practical and knows what needs to be done.

I repeat myself: I know his history and still think he could do a great job.

So now they are blaming it on cheap low grade steels from China. May I than ask who made the desicion to purchase & use the low grade steel?

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't think they are blaming china are they, think they are saying that is the cause and obviously relates back to the purchase of such from this end.

Wonder how much cheap steel is in all of those motorways ??