No green book but 'has invoice papers' (?)

lemonjelly

My wife's dumbass cousin had her scooter confiscated 3 times for not having a copy of the green book in Pattaya. Rightly or wrongly, it was confiscated and cost her 2,500 baht (or thereabouts - can't remember exactly but it wasn't cheap) to get it released.

I've also been at checkpoints where I've seen a few bikes confiscated from Thais. Also see police trucks and 4x4's regularly around Pattaya loaded to the gunnels with scooters and bikes - I'm pretty sure the BIB aren't doing a free home delivery service.

The Police here are an INDUSTRY. That means they'll take any/all opportunity to gather revenue, regardless of the law or it's technicalities as we may view them.

I wouldn't touch a bike without a green book.

• Like 2

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife's dumbass cousin had her scooter confiscated 3 times for not having a copy of the green book in Pattaya. Rightly or wrongly, it was confiscated and cost her 2,500 baht (or thereabouts - can't remember exactly but it wasn't cheap) to get it released.

I've also been at checkpoints where I've seen a few bikes confiscated from Thais. Also see police trucks and 4x4's regularly around Pattaya loaded to the gunnels with scooters and bikes - I'm pretty sure the BIB aren't doing a free home delivery service.

The Police here are an INDUSTRY. That means they'll take any/all opportunity to gather revenue, regardless of the law or it's technicalities as we may view them.

Please, whatever you do, think the rest of Thailand is like Pattaya/Phuket! I've said before, and I'll say again, I'd never ride/own an unregistered bike there due to the police, it is common knowledge that Police pay to be posted there due to the amount of money they can make from bribes etc

The police oustide of Pattaya are nothing like those in Pattaya and living/riding outside of Pattaya is nothing like living/riding in Pattaya.

Please, whatever you do, think the rest of Thailand is like Pattaya/Phuket! I've said before, and I'll say again, I'd never ride/own an unregistered bike there due to the police, it is common knowledge that Police pay to be posted there due to the amount of money they can make from bribes etc

The police oustide of Pattaya are nothing like those in Pattaya and living/riding outside of Pattaya is nothing like living/riding in Pattaya.

I've seen bribes being taken all over the country, and police corruption is frequently documented and reported from every part of the country . But if you want to believe the BIB outside the tourist areas are virginal in their activities, good luck with that. coffee1.gif

So why, on each and every occasion I've been asked to show papers, have they only asked for (and been happy with) the import papers and excise tax papers which in Thai are อินวอย+เสียสรรพสามิตรเเล้ว? Surely if they could have then they would have confiscated my bikes for not having the other tax and duty paid? Any pics of all these confiscated bikes you've bought Richard?

I'm very happy for you that you can ride around on an illegal motorcycle without insurance. But someday, maybe tomorrow, maybe next month you get stopped by the wrong police check point and you're without a motorcycle. When that happens we probably see a post on this forum that the Thai police is so bad, but the truth is that the police currently is not doing there job.

Maybe I have to move to your part of town, if you even live in Bangkok. In some rural villages and cities it's still no problem to have an unregistered motorcycle.

For pictures of motorcycles we bought from the government, I think it would be unappropriated to show pictures here, people are already hurt enough that they loose there motorcycle and not need me to rub some salt on open wounds. But if you tell me what your motorcycle(s) are and I will promise that when I have it I will publish the pictures here.

For everybody else who wants to buy a motorcycle in Thailand, stay away from unregistered motorcycles. Some motorcycle shops in Bangkok and probably other towns still try to sell them, some shops even try to sell them with red-license plates.... Just don't do it, now-a-days we have enough legal, no headache options to buy

So no pics of all these confiscated bikes you've bought so as to not hurt the feelings of the people they were confiscated from, very kind...or full of <deleted> wink.png

The reputaion you have on here is deserved, I've lost count of how many of your posts have been ridiculed due to misinformation or just plain wrong, for someone supposedly in the know you actually know very little! Like I said already, I no longer ride an unregistered bike but the ones I did had the correct import papers, 3% (not 30%!) excise tax paid and compulsory government insurance from the local transport office which was good enough for both the police and tax officers, both of who requested to see only those papers.

I still ride with and know many owners of unregistered big bikes and none have had,or know anyone that has had, their bike confiscated so out of thousands there hasn't been one! Surely if you were right then the tens of thousands of bikes with only อินวอย+เสียสรรพสามิตรเเล้ว could be rounded up and confiscated which would be a very nice little earner for everyone concerned including the police and government!

Again I care little about what you think, but misinforming people is something you're doing. We talk here about a person who wants to import a motorcycle, not a company with a license to import motor vehicles. Therefore the excise tax is 30%....

For more information you can look at the just updated website of the Thai custom office.... (it's a bit scrolling down but it clearly says 30%)...

http://www2.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/PersonalVehiclesPermanent/PermanentImport.jsp?menuNme=PersonalPer

Edited by Richard-BKK

So why, on each and every occasion I've been asked to show papers, have they only asked for (and been happy with) the import papers and excise tax papers which in Thai are อินวอย+เสียสรรพสามิตรเเล้ว? Surely if they could have then they would have confiscated my bikes for not having the other tax and duty paid? Any pics of all these confiscated bikes you've bought Richard?

I'm very happy for you that you can ride around on an illegal motorcycle without insurance. But someday, maybe tomorrow, maybe next month you get stopped by the wrong police check point and you're without a motorcycle. When that happens we probably see a post on this forum that the Thai police is so bad, but the truth is that the police currently is not doing there job.

Maybe I have to move to your part of town, if you even live in Bangkok. In some rural villages and cities it's still no problem to have an unregistered motorcycle.

For pictures of motorcycles we bought from the government, I think it would be unappropriated to show pictures here, people are already hurt enough that they loose there motorcycle and not need me to rub some salt on open wounds. But if you tell me what your motorcycle(s) are and I will promise that when I have it I will publish the pictures here.

For everybody else who wants to buy a motorcycle in Thailand, stay away from unregistered motorcycles. Some motorcycle shops in Bangkok and probably other towns still try to sell them, some shops even try to sell them with red-license plates.... Just don't do it, now-a-days we have enough legal, no headache options to buy

How about motorcycles with a "grey" book. (for example when they stamp another number on the frame) Do they get confiscated as well ?

How about motorcycles with a "grey" book. (for example when they stamp another number on the frame) Do they get confiscated as well ?

Nah, nothing wrong with a good old bogus book facepalm.gif

So no pics of all these confiscated bikes you've bought so as to not hurt the feelings of the people they were confiscated from, very kind...or full of <deleted> wink.png

The reputaion you have on here is deserved, I've lost count of how many of your posts have been ridiculed due to misinformation or just plain wrong, for someone supposedly in the know you actually know very little! Like I said already, I no longer ride an unregistered bike but the ones I did had the correct import papers, 3% (not 30%!) excise tax paid and compulsory government insurance from the local transport office which was good enough for both the police and tax officers, both of who requested to see only those papers.

I still ride with and know many owners of unregistered big bikes and none have had,or know anyone that has had, their bike confiscated so out of thousands there hasn't been one! Surely if you were right then the tens of thousands of bikes with only อินวอย+เสียสรรพสามิตรเเล้ว could be rounded up and confiscated which would be a very nice little earner for everyone concerned including the police and government!

Again I care little about what you think, but misinforming people is something you're doing. We talk here about a person who wants to import a motorcycle, not a company with a license to import motor vehicles. Therefore the excise tax is 30%....

For more information you can look at the just updated website of the Thai custom office.... (it's a bit scrolling down but it clearly says 30%)...

http://www2.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/PersonalVehiclesPermanent/PermanentImport.jsp?menuNme=PersonalPer

No Richard, we're not talking about a person who wants to import a motorcycle, the title of the topic is a slight giveaway but it is about buying a bike that only has invoice papers. Most of the bikes that are sold as inv only also come with papers confirming the excise tax has been paid. With the invoice papers and excise tax paid you can take out the compulsory government insurance at your local transport office. If you have these three things then the bike can't be confiscated by the police or tax officers, I'm saying this based on my own personal experience. I've owned unregistered bikes previously and before I bought I did my homework, my Thai friends with similar bikes took me to our local police station and tax office and asked about the worst case scenario if the bike had these papers and the answer was always a fine and nothing more.

During my time riding unregistered bikes without a plate I was asked to show papers about 3-4 times, the papers I always provided were invoice papers, excise tax papers and the govt insurance and each time that was sufficient, not even a fine! There were numerous other times the police had set up a roadside check stopping scooters and for whatever reason, riding a big bike or being a farang, I was waved through without being stopped. I personally know close to a hundred big bike owners that ride unregistered bikes around central & north Thailand and they in turn know many more, very few have even had a fine and the normal response when I ask about whether they are worried their bike will be confiscated is biggrin.pngcheesy.gifclap2.gif

Beardog, riding a bike with a plate that doesn't belong to that bike isn't the same as what this topic is about, nobody has suggested doing that. And if you have 40 beachfront rai with chanote for 200k a rai I'll buy them all today smile.png

I doubt that anybody with a license to import motor vehicles will risk losing that license by selling unregistered motorcycles, also why sell it unregistered... an official importer can easily register a vehicle. Plus profit on a registered motorcycle is higher...

Anyway what we learned in this discussion is that you can ride an illegal / unregistered motorcycle if you live in the middle of nowhere... But if you like to visit a big town you are risking everything.

Personally I ride a motorcycle because I can go anywhere and feel free (while in fact we never really free), I can go downtown Bangkok, if I manage to take a week of or even a weekend off I like to explore the country. And sometimes I even visit neighboring countries... All this without any worry...

Also people who consider buying a unregistered motorcycle, you have to consider your investment. I can remember the day that the police in Bangkok started to be tough on unregistered motorcycles... the price dropped like a stone... I have friends who bought unregistered bikes after that just to transform them into dedicated track bikes.

In the 2yrs I owned two unregistered bikes I rode to Phitsanulok, Sukhothai, Nan, Chiang Rai, Khon Kaen, Mae Sai, Chiang Mai, Loei, Pai and Udon Thani as well as numerous other places. There are some big towns on that list and some of the most beautiful riding roads in Thailand. To say they can only be enjoyed in the middle of nowhere and you aren't free to use them is wrong, not your first time ;-) When asked for papers I showed what I had and then allowed to carry on my merry way :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I doubt that anybody with a license to import motor vehicles will risk losing that license by selling unregistered motorcycles, also why sell it unregistered... an official importer can easily register a vehicle. Plus profit on a registered motorcycle is higher...

Anyway what we learned in this discussion is that you can ride an illegal / unregistered motorcycle if you live in the middle of nowhere... But if you like to visit a big town you are risking everything.

Personally I ride a motorcycle because I can go anywhere and feel free (while in fact we never really free), I can go downtown Bangkok, if I manage to take a week of or even a weekend off I like to explore the country. And sometimes I even visit neighboring countries... All this without any worry...

Also people who consider buying a unregistered motorcycle, you have to consider your investment. I can remember the day that the police in Bangkok started to be tough on unregistered motorcycles... the price dropped like a stone... I have friends who bought unregistered bikes after that just to transform them into dedicated track bikes.

In the 2yrs I owned two unregistered bikes I rode to Phitsanulok, Sukhothai, Nan, Chiang Rai, Khon Kaen, Mae Sai, Chiang Mai, Loei, Pai and Udon Thani as well as numerous other places. There are some big towns on that list and some of the most beautiful riding roads in Thailand. To say they can only be enjoyed in the middle of nowhere and you aren't free to use them is wrong, not your first time ;-) When asked for papers I showed what I had and then allowed to carry on my merry way :-)

Dear Mr Pastafarian, I really hope you're very happy with your illegal motorcycles.

• Like 2

Dear Mr Pastafarian, I really hope you're very happy with your illegal motorcycles.

Dear Mr Richard, now I understand why you post such nonsense and misinformation, you don't pay attention! I've said a few times now I no longer own/ride unregistered bikes, I presume this is what you mean when you say illegal?

it's pathetic how many topics about the same thing over and over and ppl still jumping on. Everybody should decide by them selfs if they do it or not; but fact is that it is illegal, no matter what. If you get away with it or bribe yourself out its another story and doesnt chage that its illegal.

It surprises me too how much attention people pay to this topic! I never see any threads about speeding, drink-driving/riding, 11yr old kids riding scooters, no helmets, farang riding without a Thai licence, four people on one bike etc...all of which are also illegal but go on every day here yet nobody says anything. Get off your high-horse!

We had a lot of threads about "no helmets". And just in this moment there is a thread about "drunk driving" going on. And about thai licence the number of threads is endless.

Maybe it bc your three month in this forum, you haven't read much here. lots of discussions about everything, legal and illegal smile.png

Maybe it bc your three month in this forum, you haven't read much here

Under his current username you will mean cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

It surprises me too how much attention people pay to this topic! I never see any threads about speeding, drink-driving/riding, 11yr old kids riding scooters, no helmets, farang riding without a Thai licence, four people on one bike etc...all of which are also illegal but go on every day here yet nobody says anything. Get off your high-horse!

Like others have said there are loads of thread on the topics you mention but if you don't want to see them then you don't.

Reason why people are talking about this is helping someone out, if you don't know the ins and outs you might buy a bike you can never sell again or it gets impounded. This is not a you should not... no its a thread where potential buyers are helped.

This might not suit you because you have ridden them and treads like this make those kinds of bikes even harder to sell.

Anyway I find anyone drunk driving / driving uninsured ect an idiot especially because the guy / girl they hurt is blameless and wont get paid because of selfish people like that.

• Like 1

How come so many of those bikes are being sold? And why are their owners stopping after paying - whatever - excise tax?!? Seems that the path to legal importation is too rocky for most...

I rented a scooter without a GB. Its sticker was white and had the number 2552. Any cop would have a field day spotting me on that bike - and it had a plate.

Tried to buy insurance and pay the tax - no can do. I swear I tried. And we all know that one has to have a taxed and insured vehicle...

What happened to Red Baron's imports? They stopped, haven't they? You all know why, don't you?

Don't flame Richard or others who just want to w a r n you in good faith!

I think Kf6vci means that Red Baron doesn't import used motorcycles anymore. To import a used motorcycle you now-a-day need an import permit The problem is that “new” import permits are almost impossible to get.

Before the government banned the import of several types of used vehicles you also needed an import permit for every vehicle imported, but most import companies ignored that rule as the penalty for not having a import permit was 1,000 THB per vehicle, compared to spending a day or more getting an official import permit.

Currently no import permit means you cannot import the vehicle, even if you pay under the table as I know some motorcycle import companies do, you will have problems if you try to legally register the motorcycle. The Department of Land Transport now-a-day wants to see the import permit if it involves a used motorcycle, again no import permit no registration...

Okay some of you will think why I see older motorcycles at some motorcycle shops that are just imported, like a 2012 Suzuki, Yamaha, or Honda. This are old stock from Japanese distributors or dealers. This bikes are never registered in the country where they come from and are considered new motorcycles.

Yep, definitely looks like used/imported bikes are no longer being sold here tongue.png

http://www.powerspeedshop.com/index.php?mo=30&cid=225632

https://www.facebook.com/ErawanMotorSuperBike?fref=ts

http://www.siambigbike.com/Bigbike_Product1.asp

https://www.facebook.com/Gungbigbike?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bikes-Variety/210089109049982?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/BestRatchaburisuperbike?fref=ts

http://www.tpmotorcycle.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raceline-Superbike-Studio/194901943929388?fref=ts

And there are many more shops like that plus hundreds of private sellers on mocyc.com etc so it will be a long time before the only bikes sold here are all registered and with a green book, far too much money involved!

Sure a lot of companies have still import permits they can still use, but as I said new import permit are extremely difficult to get. Maybe if you paid here and there a few people you can get them easier, but that is not how you should run a professional company.

If we compare the list of companies you give us and we compare that to the complains on Thaivisa, or with the internet in general, we can see that they all score pretty high. With exception of Siam Big Bike who sells unregistered motorcycles but doesn't lie about it and will even tell you that getting a greenbook is no guarantee for some motorcycles (this is based on personal experience and not necessarily means that it's the idea everybody shares).

See also http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Ban-on-imports-of-used-vehicles-30180164.html

• 3 weeks later...

Pat I just went to the DLT to get a new duplicate license (in Pattaya) as I lost mine Friday. When I got there the inspection station had 2 agents going over a 90's 600 Honda Shadow with a fine tooth comb. Apparently his Engine # & bike frame numbers were doctored. When I came out 35 minutes later, There were 5 inspectors & a tow truck flatbed truck to remove the confiscated bike. The Farang was raising hell & the cop he was yelling at got 2 more cops at the seen. I think he got carted off to jail I didn't hang out to see the rest of the story but they did confiscate his bike & he exasperated the situation worse by giving the heat a load of crap. If they charged him who knows but this is LOS. When you go in for a bike 6 years old or later that is one of the times you are exposed to getting Ganked for bad papers. So it is a definite chance you take if the papers are not legit.

• Like 1

Pat I just went to the DLT to get a new duplicate license (in Pattaya) as I lost mine Friday. When I got there the inspection station had 2 agents going over a 90's 600 Honda Shadow with a fine tooth comb. Apparently his Engine # & bike frame numbers were doctored. When I came out 35 minutes later, There were 5 inspectors & a tow truck flatbed truck to remove the confiscated bike. The Farang was raising hell & the cop he was yelling at got 2 more cops at the seen. I think he got carted off to jail I didn't hang out to see the rest of the story but they did confiscate his bike & he exasperated the situation worse by giving the heat a load of crap. If they charged him who knows but this is LOS. When you go in for a bike 6 years old or later that is one of the times you are exposed to getting Ganked for bad papers. So it is a definite chance you take if the papers are not legit.

Very different situation being compared yet again! A bike with legal import papers that match the engine/frame numbers and excise tax paid for that bike is not the same as a bike with doctored engine/frame numbers.

Very different situation being compared yet again! A bike with legal import papers that match the engine/frame numbers and excise tax paid for that bike is not the same as a bike with doctored engine/frame numbers.

of course different as you never go to DLT office with a bike holds only excise and tax papers, right?

I recommend a legit bike in Thailand not one that put you in a situation like the poor guy with honda shadow 600cc.

at DLT or on the streets, does not matter!

• Like 2

of course different as you never go to DLT office with a bike holds only excise and tax papers, right?

I recommend a legit bike in Thailand not one that put you in a situation like the poor guy with honda shadow 600cc.

at DLT or on the streets, does not matter!

Actually when you go to do the compulsory annual insurance (porabor?) it is done at the transport office and engine/frame numbers are usually checked against those on the invoice papers.

the guy probably though he bought a 100% legal bike, his fault for not checking the nrs...

If he knew the bike was illegal, som nam na...

Newsflash. They stopped issuing green books for imported bikes this year. They are basically gray book turned into green books with grease money. One of the local shops verified this when I wanted to purchase a bike that didn't have a book. So yes it can be done, But certainly not as dodgy as going to Honda or Kawasaki & getting a full bonafide green book & no extra grease being paid out. The bike that got today probably had the exact paper change you are talking about. Still illegitimate even if it passes & subject to losing when you gamble instead of getting a clean bill without all the hoops. I think we are talking in different worlds are you insinuating the type of bikes (like a Harley for instance-can be any expensive ride) for lets say !.3 million baht in the states & 1.7 for Legitimate taxing emissions check full duties paid. I would bet their aren't more than a scant handful that will really do that. Not in Human nature! But you hang onto the fantasy belief & you may be the next victim. Even some friends that purchased bikes in any of the same categories know they can lose their ride in a whim of a cops interest. You sound kinda Naive.

Edited by Beardog

Newsflash. They stopped issuing green books for imported bikes this year. They are basically gray book turned into green books with grease money. One of the local shops verified this when I wanted to purchase a bike that didn't have a book. So yes it can be done, But certainly not as dodgy as going to Honda or Kawasaki & getting a full bonafide green book & no extra grease being paid out. The bike that got today probably had the exact paper change you are talking about. Still illegitimate even if it passes & subject to losing when you gamble instead of getting a clean bill without all the hoops. I think we are talking in different worlds are you insinuating the type of bikes (like a Harley for instance-can be any expensive ride) for lets say !.3 million baht in the states & 1.7 for Legitimate taxing emissions check full duties paid. I would bet their aren't more than a scant handful that will really do that. Not in Human nature! But you hang onto the fantasy belief & you may be the next victim. Even some friends that purchased bikes in any of the same categories know they can lose their ride in a whim of a cops interest. You sound kinda Naive.

Small correction is that they stopped issuing green books for imported used motorcycles without an import license. Currently some motorcycle shops still have some import licenses they can use. The import of new motorcycles is still very much possible.

Of course you already need an import license to import a used motorcycle otherwise you not even pass the customs... But it's true that many people who still ride on unregistered motorcycles will probably never get legal papers for the bikes they own...

Edited by Richard-BKK