No green book but 'has invoice papers' (?)

lemonjelly

Newsflash. They stopped issuing green books for imported bikes this year. They are basically gray book turned into green books with grease money. One of the local shops verified this when I wanted to purchase a bike that didn't have a book. So yes it can be done, But certainly not as dodgy as going to Honda or Kawasaki & getting a full bonafide green book & no extra grease being paid out. The bike that got today probably had the exact paper change you are talking about. Still illegitimate even if it passes & subject to losing when you gamble instead of getting a clean bill without all the hoops. I think we are talking in different worlds are you insinuating the type of bikes (like a Harley for instance-can be any expensive ride) for lets say !.3 million baht in the states & 1.7 for Legitimate taxing emissions check full duties paid. I would bet their aren't more than a scant handful that will really do that. Not in Human nature! But you hang onto the fantasy belief & you may be the next victim. Even some friends that purchased bikes in any of the same categories know they can lose their ride in a whim of a cops interest. You sound kinda Naive.

Small correction is that they stopped issuing green books for imported used motorcycles without an import license. Currently some motorcycle shops still have some import licenses they can use. The import of new motorcycles is still very much possible.

Of course you already need an import license to import a used motorcycle otherwise you not even pass the customs... But it's true that many people who still ride on unregistered motorcycles will probably never get legal papers for the bikes they own...

Now your a man that I can believe in as I know you deal in bikes & are licensed to do so! If you go the legit way they want you to do it & pay the exorbitant taxes you can get an imported bike. Yamaha wanted the price for the bike of a Yamaha Dragstar + about 245,000 on top of it to get all the proper paperwork that will be good till the bike is scrap. I am certain facts are facts & Brian at Sumet would agree with exactly what you are saying. Unless Pat is talking about a bike that is going to cost up the yang & most likely a newer import- Me thinks he is not clear on a legit green book. I was trying to get my 2009 Kawasaki 1100 engine packed in cosmoline & ready to cleanup & install via California & do have dealers lic. collectors lic. & wholesaling Lic. & pretty much 6 weeks ago found out not going to fly. To get my 2008 up here would cost about the same as my new truck I was going to ship (in proportionate taxes duties & whatever money is needed to keep the wheels greased.)

But Richard correct me if I am wrong if you haven't turned legit documentation in the specified time frame your pretty much doomed to go other routes than the legal begal type. I wish the DLT & I were wrong but it would be ludicrous for me to import either my bike or the spare motors for damn near the same price or more to get it legal.I can even get my contacts to ship out a motor from Japan but it will still cost about the same in taxes & duties.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Beardog,

It's for somebody like me difficult to talk about about less legal ways to get a motorcycle registered. But I guess it's still possible, but if we now want to register a imported “used” motorcycle the Department of Land Transport wants to see full paperwork, including the import permit. The import permit was always a needed document, but nobody really cared about it... the attitude to the import permit has changed...

I can imagine that the need for a import permit to register an imported used motorcycle can be a problem for many of the motorcycles in the market which are being sold as so-called invoice motorcycles, as it was always a pain in the butt to obtain a import permit and the penalty for not having one was only 1,000 THB. (so many importers of secondhand motorcycles never bothered of applying for a import permit).

Will it be a problem to try to register a imported used motorcycle from pre-2013, the new rules I have seen doesn't have anything what says something like from “January 2013 and onward it is required”. So without somebody trying to register a pre-2013 imported used motorcycle we will never know, also what happens in one office of the DLT will not automatic apply to another office of the same DLT...

If you serious about a motorcycle and wish to import a used motorcycle into the country, you can try to obtain a import permit because it's a classic (very difficult for but with a an experience agent you could pull it off), also I was told that it's still possible to import one vehicle when you settle in Thailand (this rule still exist but success rate is very very small). Also it's useless to try to import a motorcycle which would not pass the Thai emission standard. For a classic motorcycle you best become member of one of the Thai classic vehicle clubs which could assist you with some advice on how to get specific classics into the country legally....

Importing a motorcycle in parts, assemble it yourself and trying to register it will indeed be possible. But your motorcycle build date would be the date that you submit your documents to the DLT. The duty on a 2013 new motorcycle is much higher than a 2003 Yamaha Dragster (more the 60% difference)... You would also need to pay some tax corrections... Also it's a long and time consuming process of getting the motorcycle legal, including expensive safety and environmental testing.... (not only exhaust emission testing as you would need with a road worthy imported vehicle).

Hello Beardog,

It's for somebody like me difficult to talk about about less legal ways to get a motorcycle registered. But I guess it's still possible, but if we now want to register a imported “used” motorcycle the Department of Land Transport wants to see full paperwork, including the import permit. The import permit was always a needed document, but nobody really cared about it... the attitude to the import permit has changed...

I can imagine that the need for a import permit to register an imported used motorcycle can be a problem for many of the motorcycles in the market which are being sold as so-called invoice motorcycles, as it was always a pain in the butt to obtain a import permit and the penalty for not having one was only 1,000 THB. (so many importers of secondhand motorcycles never bothered of applying for a import permit).

Will it be a problem to try to register a imported used motorcycle from pre-2013, the new rules I have seen doesn't have anything what says something like from “January 2013 and onward it is required”. So without somebody trying to register a pre-2013 imported used motorcycle we will never know, also what happens in one office of the DLT will not automatic apply to another office of the same DLT...

If you serious about a motorcycle and wish to import a used motorcycle into the country, you can try to obtain a import permit because it's a classic (very difficult for but with a an experience agent you could pull it off), also I was told that it's still possible to import one vehicle when you settle in Thailand (this rule still exist but success rate is very very small). Also it's useless to try to import a motorcycle which would not pass the Thai emission standard. For a classic motorcycle you best become member of one of the Thai classic vehicle clubs which could assist you with some advice on how to get specific classics into the country legally....

Importing a motorcycle in parts, assemble it yourself and trying to register it will indeed be possible. But your motorcycle build date would be the date that you submit your documents to the DLT. The duty on a 2013 new motorcycle is much higher than a 2003 Yamaha Dragster (more the 60% difference)... You would also need to pay some tax corrections... Also it's a long and time consuming process of getting the motorcycle legal, including expensive safety and environmental testing.... (not only exhaust emission testing as you would need with a road worthy imported vehicle).

Thank you Richard! I do appreciate that info. I settled on a 2 year old Kawi 650 ER6n with book & warranty. At this point I would not be shipping my complete bike over. It is A california bike & would pass the toughest in the world as California is very stringent and super anal. I wouldn't doubt they have probably dissembled Catalytic convertors & counted the Platinum beads inside it. And I am not even sure I would take a chance on modifying the 1100 cc on the 650 frame anyway. Smarter to just pay the fare & buy one here. I have to much to lose. If I get in trouble over vehicle scenario's I would be petrified if my California Nevada & Hawaii dealer & collector licenses & certifications got pulled which they surely could.

But I do trust your wisdom as you are current in the field & better to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak!

There is a lot of misinformation out there that gets confused with legal cause you just pay the 1000 baht fine if you do get caught. And personally I don't care at all if someone has a bad book, that's not any of my business anyway. Just for me I like to keep it legal so the snake can't reach around & bite me! Thanks for the info!

For those who claim "police cannot confiscate your unregistered (untaxed, licensed, or insured) bike!!!" Stop down by victory monument in BKK, under the overpass by ratchawiti, and see a whole lot full of confiscated bikes with no greenbooks, The get back to me...

so i am on this board since about 4-5 years but actually never seen a post by anyone that his bike have been confiscated. Of course it could but.....

Every police station does have confiscated bikes mostly they have been involved in races, crimes or accidents.

so i am on this board since about 4-5 years but actually never seen a post by anyone that his bike have been confiscated. Of course it could but.....

Every police station does have confiscated bikes mostly they have been involved in races, crimes or accidents.

I would imagine that no one wants to post he or she had bogus paperwork on the web. I did see a bike get yanked in Pattaya friday flat bed truck cops the whole shbang. It won't be me since any of the bikes I have had were new with real greenbooks & if it were the other way around I sure wouldn't be advertising that I was the idiot so every one on TV could be saying I told you so....Just sayin.....

I would imagine that no one wants to post he or she had bogus paperwork on the web. I did see a bike get yanked in Pattaya friday flat bed truck cops the whole shbang. It won't be me since any of the bikes I have had were new with real greenbooks & if it were the other way around I sure wouldn't be advertising that I was the idiot so every one on TV could be saying I told you so....Just sayin.....

That's where you are confused again Beardog and why there is no point debating this topic with those who aren't fully informed. Nobody has condoned doctored engine/frame numbers or bogus paperwork, what this topic is about is riding/owning a bike which has the proper invoice papers and excise tax paid, nothing more. Those, like you, that have never owned a bike like this and therefore aren't aware of the legalities have opinions based on misinformation and heresay!

There are thousands of these bikes being ridden in towns/cities without any issues, the yearly compulsory insurance can be issued by the transport office and, if the mentioned papers are in order, the police don't/can't confiscate, simple!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's where you are confused again Beardog and why there is no point debating this topic with those who aren't fully informed. Nobody has condoned doctored engine/frame numbers or bogus paperwork, what this topic is about is riding/owning a bike which has the proper invoice papers and excise tax paid, nothing more. Those, like you, that have never owned a bike like this and therefore aren't aware of the legalities have opinions based on misinformation and heresay!

There are thousands of these bikes being ridden in towns/cities without any issues, the yearly compulsory insurance can be issued by the transport office and, if the mentioned papers are in order, the police don't/can't confiscate, simple!

I wonder why the don't cancel the car/bike registration at al, because it is clear from your comments that an unregistered vehicle is completely legal to enter the road.

So tens of millions of road users in Thailand waste their money each year by paying road taxes, since it is completely unnecessary.

• Like 2

I wonder why the don't cancel the car/bike registration at al, because it is clear from your comments that an unregistered vehicle is completely legal to enter the road.

So tens of millions of road users in Thailand waste their money each year by paying road taxes, since it is completely unnecessary.

No, it isn't 100% legal as, like I've said, you can get fined for it but nothing more. In the last few years more fully legal bikes have become available here so there is more choice which means less of these bikes are being sold but they are still the choice of many as it means a very large saving.

An example of this is a 2012 Monster 1100 Evo a guy I know bought for 430k with invoice papers and excise tax paid, a similar bike was sold on a well known bike only forum for 200k more as it had a green book. Is the guy that saved 200k going to regret not buying a registered bike? Who knows but in my own personal experience he isn't!

To the OP, accompany the seller to the Land Transport Department and get him to start the registration process, saying you will buy it if it is successfully registered.

No registration = no compulsory insurance = no road tax = no green book = no copy of green book to show roadside cops = no plate.

I wouldn't fancy arguing at a road block with the senior officer in charge of the 20 or so cops at the road block that he did not have a legal basis to impound the bike, would you? wink.png

Pat forgive me for saying but I want whatever your smoking! If it isn't legal anything in life can be revoked or confiscated listen to what your own words are saying . It isn't 100% legal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what part of illegal you don't get. Your just saying he has gotten away with it end of story.

I think it is you that is on something buddy! Nobody mentioned anything about engine/frame numbers being doctored but you brought that up. Nobody mentioned dodgy papers but you brought that up. This thread is about bikes with invoice papers which isn't anything like that. How many of you have actually owned a bike with the correct invoice papers and excise tax paid? How many of you have had such a bike confiscated or personally know anyone that has?

Of course if you can get fined for something it is illegal but the punishment varies depending on the crime. A bike with the correct invoice papers, correct amount of excise tax paid and compulsory annual insurance issued can't be confiscated and rarely gets even a fine! This is based on my own personal experience of previously owning two of these bikes and the research I did prior to buying with both the police and local excise tax office. Riding without a helmet is illegal but people do it every day, now and then a fine is dished out and that is it. Similar story with owning a bike this thread is about, at worst a fine is given if you are unlucky but more often than not the above mentioned papers shown let you on your way. Again, I'm speaking from my own personal experience, not from misinformation or heresay!

• Like 1

Pat forgive me for saying but I want whatever your smoking! If it isn't legal anything in life can be revoked or confiscated listen to what your own words are saying . It isn't 100% legal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what part of illegal you don't get. Your just saying he has gotten away with it end of story.

I think it is you that is on something buddy! Nobody mentioned anything about engine/frame numbers being doctored but you brought that up. Nobody mentioned dodgy papers but you brought that up. This thread is about bikes with invoice papers which isn't anything like that. How many of you have actually owned a bike with the correct invoice papers and excise tax paid? How many of you have had such a bike confiscated or personally know anyone that has?

Of course if you can get fined for something it is illegal but the punishment varies depending on the crime. A bike with the correct invoice papers, correct amount of excise tax paid and compulsory annual insurance issued can't be confiscated and rarely gets even a fine! This is based on my own personal experience of previously owning two of these bikes and the research I did prior to buying with both the police and local excise tax office. Riding without a helmet is illegal but people do it every day, now and then a fine is dished out and that is it. Similar story with owning a bike this thread is about, at worst a fine is given if you are unlucky but more often than not the above mentioned papers shown let you on your way. Again, I'm speaking from my own personal experience, not from misinformation or heresay!

So for the sake of you saving face why don't you tell us the particulars. It seems like you or your friend neglected to go through the full cycle of making the bike legal which makes it illegal any Layman can figure that out. You it appears or your friend have gotten away with doing a slip & slide on the real way to register the bike. So while it may be legal to you it still isn't legal. 100% makes it legal . Real book real taxes paid & real ins. No book no plate no ins. Under the table still does not make it legal. Personally Pat what you do is up to you. To me it either is legal or its not. 95% is not legal. If it gets yanked which it could then you will know you are wrong or otherwise why do most people do it the legal way?

Listen to yourself man you are a talking contradiction. And I have friends that have bike that are not 100% legal but they all know the realities of the situation you seem either Naive or in denial. But I guess if you wish hard enough your brain will allow you to believe that black is white!

Edited by Beardog

So for the sake of you saving face why don't you tell us the particulars. It seems like you or your friend neglected to go through the full cycle of making the bike legal which makes it illegal any Layman can figure that out. You it appears or your friend have gotten away with doing a slip & slide on the real way to register the bike. So while it may be legal to you it still isn't legal. 100% makes it legal . Real book real taxes paid & real ins. No book no plate no ins. Under the table still does not make it legal. Personally Pat what you do is up to you. To me it either is legal or its not. 95% is not legal. If it gets yanked which it could then you will know you are wrong or otherwise why do most people do it the legal way?

Listen to yourself man you are a talking contradiction. And I have friends that have bike that are not 100% legal but they all know the realities of the situation you seem either Naive or in denial. But I guess if you wish hard enough your brain will allow you to believe that black is white!

Maybe Pastafarian is Thai and they have legal and little bit legal, same as they have red traffic lights and little bit red traffic lights biggrin.png

• Like 2

Maybe Pastafarian is Thai and they have legal and little bit legal, same as they have red traffic lights and little bit red traffic lights biggrin.png

JB now that I would believe! When I looked for bikes in BKK they told me fine to have a bike without papers for Thai for a farang no way!

Went through the Little bit of red light in Korat the other day, Copper pulled me over and demanded 600 baht, I argued, said it was just a little bit (finished crossing the junction while red came up), he said ok 200, paid him 200 and was on my way. :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

LOL I have a bike that i have been working on doing up for a considerable time.I have the invoice for all the parts that were imported from Japan and the id details from the guy i bought it from up north.It has a red number plate.Is there a way to make it road legal.I bought it unaware of all the pitfalls.I have no problem paying to make it road legal and compliant.If it was now i would certainly not buy a bike without a green book.Sensible suggestions only please

LOL I have a bike that i have been working on doing up for a considerable time.I have the invoice for all the parts that were imported from Japan and the id details from the guy i bought it from up north.It has a red number plate.Is there a way to make it road legal.I bought it unaware of all the pitfalls.I have no problem paying to make it road legal and compliant.If it was now i would certainly not buy a bike without a green book.Sensible suggestions only please

Try going along to your local Dept of Land and Transport and asking the correct procedure. When I found a really nice 1300 superfour I did exactly that and the answer I got was 'impossible'! This was in Kanchanaburi.

Crying shame as it was a beautiful bike and I would have bought it in an instant if I could have gotten a plate and book.

Cheers,my bike does turn heads,It has red plate on it so at some stage must have been rego.Will give it a go.Otherwise just break it down to parts ,ship it to Aus and rebuild it there

I am afraid having a red plate does not mean that it was once registered in Thailand. A red plate is simply a temporary licence plate issued to a dealer by a local police station which can be placed on any vehicle temporarily while awaiting registration by the Land Transport dept. There are lots simply floating around as well.

In order to get your bike registered, the Land Transport dept will need to have all the evidence it requires that all necessary taxes have been paid. Usually 4 different taxes are due on imported vehicles or parts, Excise duty, Ministry of Interior tax, Import tax and VAT. Then you need to show that the vehicle is in compliance with laws on vehicle design, emissions, have the right frame numbers, etc. It is a difficult task to collect all the correct bits of paper. Possibly more difficult than assembling the motorcycle itself.

Cheers,my bike does turn heads,It has red plate on it so at some stage must have been rego.Will give it a go.Otherwise just break it down to parts ,ship it to Aus and rebuild it there

I am afraid having a red plate does not mean that it was once registered in Thailand. A red plate is simply a temporary licence plate issued to a dealer by a local police station which can be placed on any vehicle temporarily while awaiting registration by the Land Transport dept. There are lots simply floating around as well.

In order to get your bike registered, the Land Transport dept will need to have all the evidence it requires that all necessary taxes have been paid. Usually 4 different taxes are due on imported vehicles or parts, Excise duty, Ministry of Interior tax, Import tax and VAT. Then you need to show that the vehicle is in compliance with laws on vehicle design, emissions, have the right frame numbers, etc. It is a difficult task to collect all the correct bits of paper. Possibly more difficult than assembling the motorcycle itself.

The law has been changed in 2012. Now even with all taxes paid, registration of an individually importe vehicle has been prohibited. That is why the transport office said it's impossible. My curiosity would be to see what the office big boss would say if discretely shown a tick envelope.
  • Like 1

Having the Excise import invoice is most important thing ... without it the bike can never be legal EVER.

but to make it legal you need to pass inspection , registration, homolgation etc will cost between 40,000 -100000 depending on bikes make , capacity and value decided by the officials ,process will take between 1 month and 6 months .

Having the Excise import invoice is most important thing ... without it the bike can never be legal EVER.

but to make it legal you need to pass inspection , registration, homolgation etc will cost between 40,000 -100000 depending on bikes make , capacity and value decided by the officials ,process will take between 1 month and 6 months .

As mentioned above, that was the case before the law was changed. Now it is simply not allowed.

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk

it can still be done but you need insider knowledge like help from a thai grey importer they are still bringing in late model bikes not as many as before mind , and getting them legal green books , but it will cost .

Oh and red plates mean bugger all , they are issued to new bikes but many shops and garages have them too , i actually still have some from when i was importing they are useful but dont assume red plates confer legal status on an bike , its paperwork and computer status in Bangkok land transport computer not provincial one that really matters

Edited by liddelljohn

let me share my experience

ages ago i purchased a xjr1300 from a local teacher who supplements his income by buying bikes imported from japan in crates and reassembling them and reselling them at a profit.

he paid the relevant taxes on the bike and i happily rode it around for about a year.

then all the stories of bikes being confiscated arose, i got concerned and went to see a friend who owns a large second hand big bike shop, in darkest issan, he informed me that the thai police can and will on occasion confiscate large bikes and hold them, if the are found on the road, and then the bikes are auctioned by the police.

he informed me that i can ,at that time, get a green book through bangkok if i could prove the bikes origin and that the taxes had been paid. 75000 baht later and @6 months he called me and said the book was ready , he had my bike in his possession for a few months whilst i was working overseas, so i have a legally registered bike, however it was originally issued with a book in my thai wifes name and when i recently renewed the annual registration i tried to get the book/plate transferred to ubon, where i live.

this is proving to be a problem, can do but will take time.

also to register it in my, falang name, the bike first has to be re-registered in my wives falang name, same as mine.

also i need to be on her tabien bahn, house book, or it aint gunna happen.

also according to the transport department i cannot transfer the bike to another falang unless he also is on a tabien bahn.

however i can sell it to a thai citizen no problems.

once again its a case of som num nah falang!

it seems the laws are in a constant state of change and nobody seems to know whats what.

i have checked with si sa ket transport dept. and my book is legit and i was issued a plate, it just seems that imported bikes are subject to different laws from say a late model ducati that was made here.

i am continuing my negotiations with the transport dept and will inform of final outcome, but as far as i am concerned , if it aint built here DO NOT BUY IT !

ROB

Edited by moose7117

Rob your post is most curious.

You appear, through the second hand big bike shop, to have achieved the very difficult part which is to get the bike legally registered and thus obtain a green book.

You appear to be stuck on the very easy part which is transferring the vehicle to your name although you are simultaneously wanting to get a new Ubon plate.

There is no need to have an Ubon plate just because you live in Ubon. I am sure you have tried already but in case you haven't, you could try doing it in this order.

1. Transfer bike to your name (This is very easy, just get a residence certificate from immigration - usually 300 B)

2. Change the address in the log book to your current Ubon address (easy but not as super easy as previous step)

3. Change the plate to an Ubon plate (more hassle than it is worth in my opinion).

I am a little confused over what is hindering your progress. It could possibly be that your legal green book was obtained by paying somebody off and they don't want any other office to see the lack of paperwork.

It will turn police heads, that you can be sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Rob your post is most curious.

You appear, through the second hand big bike shop, to have achieved the very difficult part which is to get the bike legally registered and thus obtain a green book.

You appear to be stuck on the very easy part which is transferring the vehicle to your name although you are simultaneously wanting to get a new Ubon plate.

There is no need to have an Ubon plate just because you live in Ubon. I am sure you have tried already but in case you haven't, you could try doing it in this order.

1. Transfer bike to your name (This is very easy, just get a residence certificate from immigration - usually 300 cool.png

2. Change the address in the log book to your current Ubon address (easy but not as super easy as previous step)

3. Change the plate to an Ubon plate (more hassle than it is worth in my opinion).

I am a little confused over what is hindering your progress. It could possibly be that your legal green book was obtained by paying somebody off and they don't want any other office to see the lack of paperwork.

the problem is that the transport dept. tells me that i cannot transfer the registration to my name unless i am listed on a tabien bahn (house book) , i have a piece of paper from immigration that shows my residency , and this allowed me to register a car in my name, however the reason i get fromm the transport dept is that the bike was not made in thailand so it cannot be put in falang name.

i can transfer to a thai name but not to falang.

i am able to keep bike registered in si sa ket and just pay annual rego fees, and that looks like my only option, until she-devil gets me added to the house book.

it is just annoying that if i want to sell the bike as i intended at the moment i can only sell to a thai unless the falang has a tabien bahn , a work permit is not good enough, apparently.

i cannot explain what justification they have and they are telling me the rules as applied to them. i guess they do not deal with many falang owned big bikes up here.

and the shop owner tells me that all the falang he deals with are long term residents with a tabien bahn, usually old old men.

sometimes this country sucks as one rule applies in pattaya/bangkok another applies in the sticks.

rob

on that note even to get a thai drivers licence was incredibly easy here