Infamous video 'sniper' denies shooting at Red Shirts

webfact

Infamous Video 'Sniper' Denies Shooting At Redshirts
By Khaosod Online

sn.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The soldier who had been captured on video instructing his fellow soldier to shoot at a Molotov-throwing Redshirts protester on 15 May 2010 told the court his team was merely firing blank rounds.

MSG Kacharat Niamrord was testifying to the court as a witness in the inquests of Mr. Mana Saenpreasertsri and Mr. Ponsawan Nakachai, who were shot dead during the clashes between the soldiers and the Redshirts on Rama IV Road.

The court is trying to establish whether the 2 individuals were shot dead by the military as the Redshirts have claimed. The military has repeatedly denied any responsibility in the deaths of more than 90 people killed throughout the political violence of April-May 2010.

MSG Kacharat said he was a tank driver assigned to the 5th Cavalry Battalion in Lopburi Province. He said his unit was stationed near Lumpini Park on 15 May 2010 to join the military operation against the Redshirts.

According to the witness, the situation grew tense in the afternoon as 3-4 M79 grenade attacks landed near his unit′s position, while a number of buildings, vehicles, and rubber tires were burned by the protesters. Sounds of gunshots and explosion were echoing in the area, MSG Kacharat said.

Around 15.00, the soldier said, he switched from a shotgun to an M-16 rifle armed with sniper scope and blank rounds. He and SGT Sarinkarn Taweecheep then took position on the second floor of a building opposite Lumpini Boxing Stadium "to observe the situation and alert other units" of potential dangers.

It was at this position that the pair was captured on a now notorious video, which showed SGT Sarinkarn aiming his sniper rifle, firing his weapon as MSG Kacharat gave instructions.

In the video, the Master Sergeant could be heard instructing SGT Sarinkarn to shoot at a protest who had been throwing Molotov cocktails for many times. The Sergeant fired the rifle. MSG Kacharat suddenly stood up, his hand stretched out, shouting "He′s down! He′s down! Don′t repeat [the shot]!".

SGT Sarinkarn disobeyed him nonetheless, firing his weapon one more time, before MSG Kacharat pushed him to stop.

However, MSG Kacharat insisted to the judges yesterday that SGT Sarinkarn was firing blank rounds, and that he was in fact saying "Ceasefire! Enough!" because "the exercise rounds were limited. We were not supposed to waste them".

The witness said he had no idea at which direction the Sergeant was aiming. He also claimed he saw no one shot throughout the firing.

Asked by the lawyer representing the families of the deceased which direction the witness and SGT Sarinkarn were facing, MSG Kacharat replied they were facing toward a burning garbage truck, and not the protesters.

Mr. Sukit Tasanasunthornsawong, a doctor at Lertsin Hospital, later testified that he received the body of Mr. Ponsawan around 16.45 on 15 May 2010. Mr. Sukit said he found gunshot wounds on the right ribcage, the bullet penetrating the victim′s lung and liver.

He told the court he tried operating Mr. Ponsawan, but the victim was bleeding too profusely. The victim reportedly died after the operation.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM09UWTNPRGt4TlE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-09-21

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 individuals shot dead? For real? I'm quite sure I saw the reds godhead on live TV that day saying that absolutely for sure the army had "murdered" at least 300 of the poor unarmed protesters. What ever happened to the 300+ corpses, or was he getting ahead of himself and guessing that his orders had been followed more closely than they actually were?

I edit typos only, coz I have late stage MS, am 3/4 blind and its like typing with two lumps of wood.

I happened to read your post before I wrote my first reply. When I posted, I saw your edit. You didn't correct any

typo"; you added the Thaksin BS at the end.

I had to edit my post stating that I was suprised that no one had denied that the army killed anyone. But you, apparently, had simply forgotten to do that in your original, unedited post.

• Like 1

This is obviously BS, he should be indicted on charges of breaking the RoE and murder.

Has anyone from the army outlined the RoE during the riots? This should be a keypoint in the entire investigation. Against popular belief, sniper teams do not engage off their own backs, these teams have to be following orders from higher up.

As commented before, without a proper attachment or fitting on the weapon, the weapon will not be effective firing blank rounds. it is the first time I have ever seen a spotter being used for a sniper using blanks, the only reason I can think off would be training to ensure the sniper had his/her procedures right, which wouldn't be the case here.

Don't know if some one mentioned this.

There is a definite recoil on the shot.

To me it doesn't look like a big recoil, but it may be ameliorated by the recoilless nature of the weapon.

Blanks are by their nature supposed to be lightweight and I would expect little recoil.

The obvious next step would be to compare recoils from a full round and a blank with the video above.

(It may be with mentioning that rifle may need an adaptor to enable it's action to cycle with the low compression of a blank)

Edited by cheeryble

I am sure this was a well thought out reason that has already been floated to the judge to see if can be "bought". I agree though that in a n"normal" society firing at a protester about to throw a Molotov would be justifiable if it was a shot to wing him.

Remember though this is not a normal society. There is no justifiable killing. There is IMHO just killing and Killing that ha enough money to back it up.

Also even though the story has a lot of problems you have to think that it is going to be very hard for the prosecutor to prove them wrong.

yes he can bring in testimony but it is a person's word against a THAI Soldier.

• Like 1