who can build high-end custom PCs?

TTom911

Hi, I am looking to build a high-end custom PC (mainly for 3D/rendering purposes, e.g 3DS Max must run as smooth and fast as possible) for a budget of 75.000 THB, or A LITTLE more). Latest top notch components wanted (again, within reason and that budget, but for that amount one does get VERY decent components). HI have more concrete suggestions/ideas which components to use for that system (I spare you the boring tech list here). The final system must be bench-mar tested and a 3DS Max test file must render with VERY good performance performance.

I wonder if anyone can recommend a shop which is knowledgeable to do that with/for me? Preferably in Khon Kaen, alternatively in BKK (or Phuket).

THANKS - TOM

one sponsor, InvadeIT, they deliver for you...

currrent top desktop listed is:

http://i.nvade.it/4bc

maybe they can get you better components too? or run a benchmark to see if this fits your needs.

otherwise the best chance is Panthip plaza in Bkk...about 6 stories of IT, buy the parts and someone there can put it all together for you.

maybe they can get you better components too? or run a benchmark to see if this fits your needs.

otherwise the best chance is Panthip plaza in Bkk...about 6 stories of IT, buy the parts and someone there can put it all together for you.

Sorry, this PC is not even close to deserving the name "workstation" - you never did any serious CAD work, did you?

OP - I suppose you don't know about PC building, otherwise you wouldn't ask... but my suggestion would be to spec the PC yourself.

3DS Max can run at least dual-threaded, so you would greatly benefit from a dual socket motherboard (i.e. with 2 CPU), for example:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z9PED8_WS/

Then put in 2 quad cores (Intel Xeon or AMD Opteron) and about 32 GB RAM, and dual quadro series VGA, and you are set!

You could even possibly get a boost from the new GPU coprocessors.

If you are hesitant to screw the parts together and to install the OS on it, a shop can do it for you.

I guess any shop could order the parts and screw them together.

JIB was cheapest when I did spec my PC about a year ago.

You could copy the spec of a HP graphics workstation:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/workstations/z820.html

Edited by manarak
  • Like 2

Well, I build my own but I would look into having it built in the US, in a used, dented and scratched case (for import duties) but with a new power supply. Then when in LOS I'd simply have it moved into a new case. I'd watch it being moved so that no one could steal/swap parts.

Nothing changes - OS installation, drivers, etc. simply by moving it into a new case which should take about 30 minutes. The case minus power supply is cheap.

Have it shipped as used with a low priced invoice.

Be aware that even in the US where parts are dirt cheap, you can spend 100,000 baht easily on a video card. There is some real high end professional stuff out there. You can also spend 50,000 baht on a motherboard and 30,000 baht for a cpu.

So you should specify some benchmark numbers you need to see, or just say that it must easily process your file. You don't need the real high end professional stuff to do that.

I just installed one that would do the job very nicely -

EVGA SR-2 mobo, 2 x Xeon 6350, 12 x 4GB DDR3 1600, Quadro K5000, Seasonic 760W 80+ Gold, LianLi case.

Geekbench 18.5k. It is being used for DaVinci Resolve and doing it very well.

That was considerably more than your budget; the Quadro card alone was about US$1100.

But the next build would be dual E5-2660, expect more speed but more money.

there was software (and bios flash) solution for quattros (from gtx graphic cards) I recommend you do a research. Perhaps you can find GTX 260 or GTX 280 which can be converted to quattro by software modification (if still works). These cards might be old, but in SLI mode they should provide enough horse power than the price of equal quattro cards.

In USA ebay, they sell lots of used server hardware for cheap with enterprise parts which can be used for workstation. However importing them to Thailand would cost an arm and a leg (big and heavy package). Though it would be free of transport if you bring them in your luggage :)

Theey can build any system..

Mine was a 60k system to my specifications. Advantage was Thomas speaks english and the second no warrantee problem...water cooler failed on day 360 returned it to him and a couple of weeks later got the service unit back in the mail. Not many places like that here.

Mine was a 60k system to my specifications. Advantage was Thomas speaks english and the second no warrantee problem...water cooler failed on day 360 returned it to him and a couple of weeks later got the service unit back in the mail. Not many places like that here.

If something critical fails, I doubt that most people can afford to wait two weeks for a replacement - which is the downside to ordering IT equipment over the Internet.

If something critical fails, I doubt that most people can afford to wait two weeks for a replacement - which is the downside to ordering IT equipment over the Internet.

Just see how long most places take with free guarantee replacement....they will not do it you are on your own to negotiate with the service agent..if you can find them. A bought replacement would probably have been mailed by thomas or if you wanted sent overnight within a day or two.

You are not in Kansas now.

I guess Jedicool could easily handle such a build. I've dealt with them a few times over the years (but not lately) and found them honest and competent those times. They're enthusiasts themselves.

http://jedicool.com/

However, no local shop is going to guarantee a particular level of 3ds Max performance or else. Get real. You'd better do your own homework (guess you've done some). Head over to arstechnica, neowin, tomshardware etc. and run your specs by the gurus there.

Last December when I wanted to build 2 custom(40,000 baht)desktop computers, I sent emails

to 6 different computer suppliers listed in the Thai Visa forum. Two sent back a copy of

their price lists, 3 never responded and only InvadeIT showed a interest in getting my business.

Their responses are quick, knowledgeable, and more importantly...accurate. Don't waste your

time and contact them. See how many Thai Visa members highly recommend this firm. Never had

a day of 'buyers remorse' getting my system from them and the fact they are in Hua Hin is not

a problem.

Hope this helps.

JIB is the one i use.They build one In House in 3Hrs ,to suit your needs. Google their W.Site for prices.thumbsup.gif

they will probably not have the required parts on hand

agree, if OP needs to run 3DS Max in a maximum performance, a serious NVidia Quadro is a must. not even dealer would stock these items.

JIB is the one i use.They build one In House in 3Hrs ,to suit your needs. Google their W.Site for prices.thumbsup.gif

they will probably not have the required parts on hand

agree, if OP needs to run 3DS Max in a maximum performance, a serious NVidia Quadro is a must. not even dealer would stock these items.

JIB have some high end shops with expensive hardware on show e.g. 90,000 baht monitors and I've seen 25,000+ baht video cards. Maybe just for show but wouldn't hurt to ask. JIB in general seem to keep good stock levels. Can't remember ever having to substitute anything I wanted to buy because they were out of stock.

If Quadro is want you are after then Jedicool at Pantip have various Quadro cards listed on their website at up to 80,000 baht.

• Like 1