Isaan and the rest of LOS

swissie

Isaan is and will remain a special place in Thailand. As it reads, idle youth with little to do and parents with even less to do, possibly waiting for an other "Rice-Price-Scheme" or other windfall project originating from Bangkok to bail them out.

Different in my neck of the woods: Unless related to domestic violence, there is no crime. Early this year, local police-force was reduced from 250 to 50 in my amphoe.

Is this the recipe? Come sunset, no more juvenile motorbike riders are allowed (with or without drivers-licence). The few night spots have a uniformed guardian-angel present, that stops any trouble before it gets out of hand.

Unknown people, entering a village (having been announced by the local dogs beforehand). will be asked by the villagers "where do you come from". Frequent visitors to Pattaya will be confronted with the same question about 17 times a day, but trust me, it's not meant in the same context!!

Around here, there are hardly any houses with iron bars securing windows and doors. 6 months ago, I lost my house-keys and half of the village helped me search for the key(s) with no success. Ever since then, my door is unlocked and everybody knows it. Sometimes I leave for weeks (and everybody knows it). And? Never nothing missing.

A long time ago, my Thai-Wife told me that Farangs think Thailand is Thailand. Herself coming from the Isaan she made it clear from the very beginning, that we shall not live and/or invest in the Isaan ever.

Bless her heart.

Cheers.

A long time ago, my Thai-Wife told me that Farangs think Thailand is Thailand. Herself coming from the Isaan she made it clear from the very beginning, that we shall not live and/or invest in the Isaan ever.

Bless her heart.

A strange one. Why do Bangkokians and people from all over Thailand investing in land, houses etc in the northeast now? Oh, they must be stupid, or they don't know what business is....

Isaan" is the real Thailand, while many people might think the tourist attraction places are worth to die for. I won't fall off the balcony, I'm sure.-wai2.gif

• Like 2

Bless her heart.

A strange one. Why do Bangkokians and people from all over Thailand investing in land, houses etc in the northeast now? Oh, they must be stupid, or they don't know what business is....

Isaan" is the real Thailand, while many people might think the tourist attraction places are worth to die for. I won't fall off the balcony, I'm sure.-wai2.gif

Sirchai, I know you mean well mate, but please go easy on saying truthful things about the Isaan area.

If you manage to convince the anti-Isaan mob we may get the bitter buggers moving here - and whoops, there goes the neighbourhood!

Had to smile at the part about the kids not returning to the village at Songkran; my wife's village is packed with returning kids, spouses, offspring and friends - and the village rocket festival is even more packed.

Perhaps the writer has never seen the TV news where they show the crowds at Morchit Bus Station or packing the trains - even travelling on the roof at times!

• Like 2

Bless her heart.

Sirchai, I know you mean well mate, but please go easy on saying truthful things about the Isaan area.

If you manage to convince the anti-Isaan mob we may get the bitter buggers moving here - and whoops, there goes the neighbourhood!

Had to smile at the part about the kids not returning to the village at Songkran; my wife's village is packed with returning kids, spouses, offspring and friends - and the village rocket festival is even more packed.

Perhaps the writer has never seen the TV news where they show the crowds at Morchit Bus Station or packing the trains - even travelling on the roof at times!

Perhaps the writer has never seen the TV news

Yeah you are right there, the writer was stuck in the road to hell that is HW #9 heading to Bang Pa-In, thats before he had to drive through one of the most dangerous roads in the area #1 in Sara Buri, thankfully the new bypass has been open for a few years now, after surviving that, it was on to the wacky races that is HW #2 and the fun and games of Khao Yai, lets not forget the left hand lane that is almost undrivable, nutters in beat up pick up trucks with everything including the kitchen sink loaded onto the back.

I wont bother mentioning the drink driving and death rate, someone as experienced as yourself will be well aware of the fatalities over SongKran, mai ben rai sanuk mak chai mai.

No been there done that, never again, and after enduring all the above, it had to be endured on the way back, no thanks, never again, any visits are done outwith holiday periods.

BTW, never said about kids not returning, I mentioned about Issan people I know who dont bother going home, perhaps like me they are fed up with it, will be sure to ask them tomorrow night if you like.

Your wife's apparent hostility towards Isaan is 100% atypical and IMO distorted beyond belief. She must have had some unfortunate experiences in her family life.

Believe it or believe it not, makes no difference to me, I can only relate to some of the Thai women living overseas I have met.

Its nothing to do with Issan, although some are from the region, its Thailand in general.

One Thai living in America told me, "America is the greatest country in the world"

Others living in Australia and the UK have no intention of returning here.

The theme is always the same, overseas no one cares about their family name, they learn not only is it ok to have an opinion but also its ok to express it.

They are not treated as second class citizens, they dont need to worry about the pee/nong patronage system that exists here etc etc etc.

I know of one woman who lives in Pattaya with her husband, she is from Issan, she never goes back, fed up with worthless family, her words not mine.

I also know of Issan people living in Bkk who dont bother going upcountry for Songkran, too many problems is a typical answer when asked why they dont go.

Once some of these women get overseas, its an eye opener for them, throw free childrens education, healthcare etc etc into the equation and the attractions of living overseas become obvious to them.

If anything, they cant understand why we would want to live here.

For many its not, "unfortunate experiences" its a whole new world opening up to them and realizing there is an alternative to life here.

I think that's what my ex-wife now realizes.

I won't slate Thailand because it draws too much fire here, but if you have children here, do everything you can to get them back to your country to grow up in.

I failed at this and will spend the rest of my life living with the regret of it.

I agree with the OP.

Isaan is the real Thailand for me.

I have been visiting Isaan for 12 years and living here full time for 2 years now.

Crime is non existent in my village and the surrounding villages witht he exception of a child pinching 20 baht off the kitchen table from time to time.. Like I did as a child in U.S.A..

People here are not wealthy, or flashy, but people are happy and good people for the most part.

There are few farangs around, but those that are here want to be here.

They respect the locals and are treated well by them in return.

They don't complain and try to change the people to be like the people " where I come from".

And No, I won't tell you exactly where we are.

An influx of Farang -Thailand types would ruin what we have found and love here.

Al l the negative comments the op has received just show how bad the attitude of the Farang -Thai element is..

Stay out of our villages and we will stay out of your bars. Deal?

Happy in Esaan

post-147745-0-85181800-1380350380_thumb.

Bless her heart.

Bangkokians invest in the Isaan because within 150 Km's of Bangkok land prices have reached astronomical proportions. If they are buying land in the Isaan, it's strictly for Investment/Speculative purposes. Present-day affluent Bangkokians would not consider living in the Isaan.

- As to "Isaan is the real Thailand". = If you consider the poorhouse of Thailand to be the "real Thailand", try again! Make a trip from Bangkok all the way to Chiang May (through Central-Thailand).

Come and see the other Thailand.

Cheers.

Your wife's apparent hostility towards Isaan is 100% atypical and IMO distorted beyond belief. She must have had some unfortunate experiences in her family life.

Actually she had some unfortunate experiences in her family life. From the very beginning she described her family as "thieves, liars, gamblers and lazy beyond description". (her words, not mine.)

This statement goes back to the year 2012 and she hasn't changed her mind in the meantime as far as this is concerned.

Again, bless her heart and lucky me.

Cheers.

I like Issan a lot. It's the real Thailand. Most farangs never explore it. Their loss.

- As to "Isaan is the real Thailand". = If you consider the poorhouse of Thailand to be the "real Thailand", try again! Make a trip from Bangkok all the way to Chiang May (through Central-Thailand).

I always think this "real Thailand" thing in nuts. An Issan rice farming village is no more or less "real" than a Maptaput industrial estate or a Pattaya ping pong show. They are all elements to a diverse country and no single one of them defines the country. Telling a Bangkok Thai that they are not a "real Thai" because they don't farm rice is just ridiculous.

Also if you are looking for opinions on Issan in my experience the worst people to ask are non-issan Thais. They seem to parrot all the worst stereotypes about their brethren from the Northeast.

Edited by Dakling

Ask a guy from Bangkok that has just told you that 'Farang not know Thailand' if he has visited Isaan. He will answer 'no, why should I?'

Otherwise, I agree with above comments, keep away, Isaan is the pits of hell.

Isaan is where my wife comes from. Her parents still live there as do some of their children and assorted grandchildren. We visit regularly and have built a house for ourselves on the outskirts of the village.

I LOVE the time we spend up there (about 2 to 3 months a year) and have nothing but good to say re my inlaws. They look after my missus's farm, our cows, ducks, fish etc for mothing but a free feed every now and then. We show a small profit every year which is just what we want.

Fishing in the local dams and rivers, barbecues with a few other expats in the area, my kids getting to know all about farm animals in the flesh etc etc are priceless experiences for me.

However I could not live there full time as miss the western side of things too much when away. Hope we can continue living where we do with regular visits to where my missus and kids call home.

I for one love where I live in Isaan, it stays green in the dry season because we are near the river, The small town is good, ye a few things happen from time to time that ar'nt so good but overall you can live a quiet life. Good family, relatives and a few friends, life here is what you make of it, it's that way most places.But for me Isaan people have become home, because that is what my wife is, my kids, her parents. I got lucky, or maybe it was destiny, that brought me here but I'm happy here and that's where all of us should try to be, where we are happy, Perhaps that's why so many of us farang come and stay in thailand, and with the girl we have chosen. It makes happy.

I like Issan a lot. It's the real Thailand. Most farangs never explore it. Their loss.

I always think this "real Thailand" thing in nuts. An Issan rice farming village is no more or less "real" than a Maptaput industrial estate or a Pattaya ping pong show. They are all elements to a diverse country and no single one of them defines the country. Telling a Bangkok Thai that they are not a "real Thai" because they don't farm rice is just ridiculous.

Also if you are looking for opinions on Issan in my experience the worst people to ask are non-issan Thais. They seem to parrot all the worst stereotypes about their brethren from the Northeast.

Also if you are looking for opinions on Issan in my experience the worst people to ask are non-issan Thais.

Yeah, much better to ask Issan Thais, they can tell you all about it warts n all.

First you had better define what you mean by Issan.

Also if you are looking for opinions on Issan in my experience the worst people to ask are non-issan Thais.

Yeah, much better to ask Issan Thais, they can tell you all about it warts n all.

First you had better define what you mean by Issan.

Definition of Issan would be the provinces of Thailand that are on the Korat plateau. Basically including Korat, Burriram, Surin, Sisaket, Ubon, and all provinces north of them. Look for a more detailed list here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isan .

The point I was trying to make is that when I was in Bangkok and would talk to "central" Thais (ie. those from BKK and surrounding provinces), they seemed to have terrible opinions of Issan people and Issan provinces despite not actually knowing any of the people nor having ever been to Issan.

• Like 1