Smuggled turtles dumped at Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

SMUGGLING
Smuggled turtles dumped at airport

Thirapon Khumsuk,
Boonchu Sritraipop
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Customs officials have found 220 turtles in three luggage bags at the Suvarnabhumi Airport. All the turtles were reported to be still alive when the officials discovered them in abandoned bags yesterday morning.

"There is no name tag on the bags," Paisarn Chuenjit said in his capacity as a senior customs official at the airport. He said the Spotted Pond Turtles were protected under CITES (Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species). Each turtle fetches between Bt1,000 and Bt10,000 on the black market. The species is native to Bangladesh.

"We have removed the turtles and will forward them to those relevant officials who can assist with their rehabilitation," he said. He added that officials would also try to locate the suspected smugglers and press charges. The bags were left near Gate 6 at the arrival terminal.

Meanwhile, officials found a dead elephant in Phu Luang Wildlife Sanctuary in Loei. Its front left leg appeared to have been trapped in a gap between two rocks. There were no other signs of injuries.

"We believe the elephant accidentally slipped and one of its legs got stuck," said Watchara Thammasorn, head of the Phu Luang Elephant Nutrition Rehabilitation Project.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-23

Good to hear the turtles are still alive. Hopefully, they'll get placed where they can thrive. Turtles have been having a tough time worldwide for decades. Those that haven't become extinct, are headed that way. Surely, Chinese 'medicine' has a use for turtle meat. I was told by a HK Chinese g.f. that some Chinese think turtle meat gives men hard-ons because the head of a turtle looks like a dick.

The best place for the turtles would be to be sent back

to Bangladesh, instead of been dumped at a temple,

who knows where,or a government sanctuary where,they

would most likely not get the best of care, they are an

alien species to Thailand so should be repatriated.

regards Worgeordie

"There were no names on the (suitcase) tags." said officials at the airport. Does that mean there will be no efforts to find who the smugglers are? If a farang detective were put on the case, finding the culprits (and subsequent prosecutions) would be more likely.

Read the article before making silly comments

It clearly says they will try to arrest the smugglers,

What's a "farang detective" got to do with this story or Thailand?

"There were no names on the (suitcase) tags." said officials at the airport. Does that mean there will be no efforts to find who the smugglers are? If a farang detective were put on the case, finding the culprits (and subsequent prosecutions) would be more likely.

Because Thai detectives are often inept. One can refer to mysterious deaths of ordinarily healthy young tourists in Krabi region. Initials reports cited possible overdose of Ibuprophin and/or poison fish and/or.... several other theories, none of which were valid. After that, nothing. Just a couple of many dropped balls by Thai detectives.

It was a customs official the article quoted not a detective

If you actually read the article you would see that it says the no names were on the bags, it does not say that no names were on the bags so that means we won't bother trying to find the smugglers

Because Thai detectives are often inept. One can refer to mysterious deaths of ordinarily healthy young tourists in Krabi region. Initials reports cited possible overdose of Ibuprophin and/or poison fish and/or.... several other theories, none of which were valid. After that, nothing. Just a couple of many dropped balls by Thai detectives.

There is good and bad about every country and yes the police here are not the best in the world. I am sure in a few days we will hear of arrests being made or the names of suspects if they have already left the country. Maybe Thai detectives could help our police forces they almost always get a confession soon after arrests.

"There were no names on the (suitcase) tags."  said officials at the airport.  Does that mean there will be no efforts to find who the smugglers are?  If a farang detective were put on the case, finding the culprits (and subsequent prosecutions) would be more likely.  

I think he/she means put Ace ventura on the case:lol:

I'm a bit confused here. I never put my name on my bags, but when they are checked in they get a tag attached by the airline with a serial number that will easily trace back to the person who checked them in.

So whilst there may be no name written on the bags, I'm sure it would be very quick and easy to find the name of the individual who checked in, and then find the relevant photo taken as he/she passed through the airport in Bangkok.

• Like 1

I'm a bit confused here. I never put my name on my bags, but when they are checked in they get a tag attached by the airline with a serial number that will easily trace back to the person who checked them in.

So whilst there may be no name written on the bags, I'm sure it would be very quick and easy to find the name of the individual who checked in, and then find the relevant photo taken as he/she passed through the airport in Bangkok.

This would be the most sensible thing to do,check security cameras, and the bags should have

some sort of ID on them, maybe not name of owner(highly unlikely) as hes smuggler,but there

should be a baggage check in label, sensible and Thailand ,no.

Look out at Chatchak market,next week sure to see some Bangladeshi spotted turtles for sale.

regards Worgeordie

If they cannot determine who dumped them from airport surveillance camera recordings and perhaps track them to a vehicle it would be a poor result.

Or perhaps like many hotel cameras they were not working at the time!

The best place for the turtles would be to be sent back

to Bangladesh, instead of been dumped at a temple,

who knows where,or a government sanctuary where,they

would most likely not get the best of care, they are an

alien species to Thailand so should be repatriated.

regards Worgeordie

Problem is, while the original species may be native to Bangladesh; it would require a lot of work to determine how pure (species cross breeding wise) the smuggled turtles are to the original Bangladeshi turtles. It would be a shame to skip the legwork and just ship the smuggled turtles but only to have another disaster a la Africanized bees (accidental release causing major problems for incumbent populations).

first thing a farang detective would do is interrogate the turtles and -if required- use the third degree or threaten to torture them if they don't confess.

whistling.gif

• Like 1

When you fail to board the plane, your luggage are off-loaded. They can find your luggage. If they can find your luggage, they should be able to find the baggage owner. Or is that asking too much?

yes it is asking too much if the baggage tags were removed and the smuggler did not leave any business cards inside the luggage.

the baggage was found in the arrival hall Dr. Watson and the smuggler obviously removed the tags but, for whatever reason, did not dare to clear customs.

first thing a farang detective would do is interrogate the turtles and -if required- use the third degree or threaten to torture them if they don't confess.

whistling.gif

Exactly. Boiling water springs to mind... they're supposed to be tasty.