Elephant caretakers urge Thai govt to review wildlife bill

webfact

Elephant caretakers urge Govt to review wildlife bill

AYUTTHAYA, 23 September 2013 (NNT) - A group of Ayutthaya elephant caretakers yesterday gathered at the province's city shrine, urging the Government to review the 2013 wildlife conservation and protection bill.

The gathering, led by Lai-thongrien Meepan, president of a Thai elephant foundation, was joined by 5 mahouts and their elephants, holding up placards urging the Government to review the bill. The group's leader claimed that the bill has been drafted without taking mahouts’ opinions into consideration.

Mr. Lai-thongrien stated that the bill was to replace the 1992 Wildlife Conservation and Protection Act. According to him, the government initially agreed to amend the act to close legal loopholes in the ivory trading. However, instead of just making the much needed amendment, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment added other clauses to the package without hearings from related people.

The Ministry claimed that the bill was to comply with the international trade agreement, which dictates the registration of elephant caretakers within 90 days after the bill is proclaimed law.

The new bill also demands the registration of elephants nationwide. Punishments of 10 years’ jail term and a fine of no more than 2 million baht will be imposed on violators.

Mr. Lai-thongrien said that the bill limits the freedom of elephant caretakers and disdains their profession. He threatened to mobilize 3,000 elephants to the Government House if the Government proceeds to enforce the bill.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-09-23 footer_n.gif

Three thousand elephants mobilized...... that's more than your average red or yellow shirt rally.

I wonder if Babar and his pals have been told yet?

So I suppose we'll have protest by the street cleaners next because of all the extra work.

Apart from showing disdain for their profession and limiting their freedom (to do what?) there's not much information to go on.

• Like 2

Soon only mahouts will be needed to cater for the only people who are responsible for the extinction of 99% of world's species the Chinese. In the West spots on radio and tv as well flyers ask people not to take an elephant ride as the animals have a terrible life. Most travel agents are scrapping the tours and with very good reasons. So the Mahouts should consider another trade just like the rubber tappers in the South.

• Like 2

Three thousand elephants mobilized...... that's more than your average red or yellow shirt rally.

I wonder if Babar and his pals have been told yet?

So I suppose we'll have protest by the street cleaners next because of all the extra work.

Apart from showing disdain for their profession and limiting their freedom (to do what?) there's not much information to go on.

The freedom to exploit these wonderful and highly intelligent creatures and to drag them around the hot and dusty streets of Thailand. I only have utter disdain for these people.sick.gif

• Like 1

I can only imagine the jail holding 3,000 elephants

"The new bill also demands the registration of elephants nationwide. Punishments of 10 years’ jail term and a fine of no more than 2 million baht will be imposed on violators."

At least with the elephants being in jail they will have some one to take care of them.

Never ceases to amaze me the people who carry on about don't do this and don't do that never have an answer as to how to take care of the elephant. Not much of a line up to live up to their should do list and not a one of them on the list that is there.