Miss Manners...

sfokevin

I was invited to my partner's parents for dinner. Traditional Thai dishes and a choice of different kinds of rice were served. Each of our individual place setting had a large spoon and fork.

My question is what is the proper way to eat with just a large spoon and fork?

Which hand holds which utensil?

Should one or the other never be put in your mouth and only be used for moving food onto and around your plate?

My understanding of this is that the fork is used to push the food on to the spoon and the spoon is used for eating ie putting the food in the mouth. I don't know if there are correct hands to hold the utensils. I suppose like a knife and fork different folks and nationalities hold them in different hands, I'd be interested to know if there is a 'proper' way.

Fork in the left and spoon in the right hand. Use the fork to 'cut' and put the food onto the spoon. It with the spoon.

Great way to eat, if you are hungry and/or in a hurry.

Miss Manners would be horrorstricken if she knew about.

It is usual to use the Spoon in your "strong" hand - i.e. if you are right handed then use the spoon in that hand, but there's no problem reversing the utensils if you are left handed.

It's generally not considered polite to put the fork in your mouth however.

You will probably find that on more "formal" occasions each plate of food comes with it's own Serving Spoon which you would use to transfer food onto your own plate then use your own fork and spoon to eat. Usually as the meal progresses and the atmosphere becomes more relaxed this Serving Spoon is ignored and people simply use their own utensils to take food onto their plate.

On a related topic:

Please do NOT take a portion from each plate of food, dump it on top of the rice on your plate and start to eat it mixed up together - this is a real faux pas. Take a small portion of one dish and eat it with some of the rice on your plate then move on to another dish and repeat the process.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

I've only got one hand, so everthing goes in the right hand...

There is no rule about the fork in your mouth. User option. :o Edited by Ajarn

It is usual to use the Spoon in your "strong" hand - i.e. if you are right handed then use the spoon in that hand, but there's no problem reversing the utensils if you are left handed.

You will probably find that on more "formal" occasions each plate of food comes with it's own Serving Spoon which you would use to transfer food onto your own plate then use your own fork and spoon to eat. Usually as the meal progresses and the atmosphere becomes more relaxed this Serving Spoon is ignored and people simply use their own utensils to take food onto their plate.

On a related topic:

Please do NOT take a portion from each plate of food, dump it on top of the rice on your plate and start to eat it mixed up together - this is a real faux pas. Take a small portion of one dish and eat it with some of the rice on your plate then move on to another dish and repeat the process.

Patrick

A lot of Thai foods are served in bite-sized (or spoon-sized) pieces, no problem...

But sometimes there is a need to cut something up into pieces.

Is there a preference for using the spoon or the fork for cutting ?

I nearly fully agree:

with the fork it may come from that, that you are only allowed to eat with the right hand in hindu religion, that might be a leftover. (not sure)

I never saw someone using the fork on formal occasions and never ever left and right exchanged.

But on relaxed atmosphere the spoon might be droped and you take some pieces with the fork from the serving plate. That as well not nice and you must wait till the older start with that. (when everyone is already full) If they eat nice and and you serve yourself direct from the serving plate than it is very pig like.

It may also happen that your boy/girlfriend puts different dishes on your plate (but not over the rice and they must be nicely seppareted). In more relaxed atmosphere one of the parents may want to introduce some food or the nicest parts of it and put it on your plate (I hate it if someone messes arround with my food and put tons of fish which I don't like on my plate and I must eat it and confirm that it is delicous).

(when this is happening keep in mind that my father as honored guest in china got feeded, the old fat chinese put the spoon in his mouth first to check the taste and than pulled it in my fathers mouth and in romania the feed him with the eyes of sheeps, so there are much worse things than that here).

Else things may differ a lot in different societies (poor, rich, new rich, chinese, thai.....) and region (east, north south) and on how much alc they drink (I already saw a beginning like you dinner with the queen of england and an end like with the pigs).

My experience is: South, chinese who don't want to know that they are chinese, rich

what also may happen is terrible loud and wrong carraoke singing while eating.

On a related topic:

Patrick

konker the world with vertical smilies.... :D

I took me forever to get used to eating with the spoon in my right hand, and even then, I still had to think about it all the time.

I´ve been in Central Am. for two years now, and almost always, I look the pig at the table, cos I´m scoffing stuff down with a spoon, and using my fork to cut things. I hardly evr use a knife.

Everybody looks at me funny, but I know where I got it from, and I ain´t letting it go.

edit: I eat alone, a lot.

:o

Edited by kayo

How about sticky rice then? :o

BTW, I don't know why Chinese use chopsticks...they should use a shovel. :D

Sticky Rice is eaten with the fingers - one hand only, using the thumb and index finger to tear of a piece of rice, the other fingers being used to stop the rest of the rice moving around too much on the plate while you are doing that!

It's virtually impossible to eat it with a spoon simply because it will stick to the utensil.

I can admire the dexterity with which the Chinese use chopsticks for eating rice - from a bowl; but it's quite amusing to watch a Westerner desperately trying to use chopsicks to eat rice from a plate.

Patrick

................ and never ever left and right exchanged.

Slightly off topic:

I think this may well be because there seem to be relatively few left-handed Thais - in comparison with Westerners for example, and I think the reason is that they were forced from their school years to "conform" and use their right hand for most purposes (well, until recently perhaps).

I have several Thai friends who - for example - play Golf left-handed but write, eat etc. "right-handed", they confirm that their teachers insisted that they go against their natural tendencies and learn to use their right hand in most situations.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

How about sticky rice then? :o

BTW, I don't know why Chinese use chopsticks...they should use a shovel. :D

Sticky Rice is eaten with the fingers - one hand only, using the thumb and index finger to tear of a piece of rice, the other fingers being used to stop the rest of the rice moving around too much on the plate while you are doing that!

It's virtually impossible to eat it with a spoon simply because it will stick to the utensil.

I can admire the dexterity with which the Chinese use chopsticks for eating rice - from a bowl; but it's quite amusing to watch a Westerner desperately trying to use chopsicks to eat rice from a plate.

Patrick

dexterity is one thing, shoveling food in at 100mph, while holding a bowl only 1" from your face is another. :D

................ and never ever left and right exchanged.

Slightly off topic:

I think this may well be because there seem to be relatively few left-handed Thais - in comparison with Westerners for example, and I think the reason is that they were forced from their school years to "conform" and use their right hand for most purposes (well, until recently perhaps).

I have several Thai friends who - for example - play Golf left-handed but write, eat etc. "right-handed", they confirm that their teachers insisted that they go against their natural tendencies and learn to use their right hand in most situations.

Patrick

I'm one who tends to believe that this is more generalized in the Asian communities, and I think it mostly relates back to bathroom use of the left hand. I feel moslem countries like Malaysia and Indonesia really take this rule to heart, more than some other countries, like Thailand. As a teacher fpor 15 years here, I, too, have rarely seen a left-handed Thai student, but they certainly do exist, in my experience.

My understanding of this is that the fork is used to push the food on to the spoon and the spoon is used for eating ie putting the food in the mouth. I don't know if there are correct hands to hold the utensils. I suppose like a knife and fork different folks and nationalities hold them in different hands, I'd be interested to know if there is a 'proper' way.

It is the same way you hold the knife on the right hand and fork on the left. Hold the spoon on the right hand , and fork on the left. Fork is helping to push rice and food on your spoon.

It is correct, dont put all food on the table full in your plate. Just put a mouthful on your plate and eat mouthful, and slowly ( eventhough the rice is already cold now ).

DON'T put your spoon in the soup bowl. In a fine decent thai family, they shall have extra spoons for each food on the plates and bowl. Use that utensils to transport to your plate. Sounds complicated but it is very easy.

You can use your fork to put some small beef or fishball onto your mouth. Chewing with closed mouth. If they want to please you by giving you a big amount , smile and tell them , you would like to try a small piece , so you can try all the food on the table, and enjoy really the food.

Dont eat like a chicken, in this case, chicken likes to eat food and spreading outside ( of the plate ). With spoon hold a small mouthful of rice and beef or veggi then using fork to help onto the spoon, then put in your mouth slowly. Dont make a loud noise by eating soup ( for thai it's not polite, for chinese you must making a noise...yummy..swubbbbbb ) :D

If you cant swallow the food, dont put them on the plate, just put it on your napkin and close carefuly :o Chinese put all on the table :D

If you using hands for eating, they shall serve a small cute bowl with water and sometimes with lemon, dont drink it..it is for washing your hands. :D

Ok, take a short and fast look on others people when they eat then you copy them.

Well, hope your partner are thai not chinese, then you will have to practice more chopsticks and 10 menus at a time..well... :D

Isaan Dinner is easier. Using your hand with sticky rice, and using your hand to put variuos of veggis in your mouth. But becarefully, they are very hot and sharp spicy food, you might be sweat like waterfall at a time :D

Bon Appetite !

On a related topic:

Patrick

A lot of Thai foods are served in bite-sized (or spoon-sized) pieces, no problem...

Thais almost always cut with the spoon.

seems to me like all the effort surrounding the use of fork and spoon is rice related...if all we ever ate were tuna samiches we wouldn't have a problem, would we...?

support the thai tuna industry and demonstrate the pioneer spirit by baking your own bread (please see the 'biscuits and gravy' thread elsewhere...) ...if Thai Visa doesn't assist Thailand in reforming their eating habits, who will?...

On a related topic:

Patrick

Thais almost always cut with the spoon.

Due to the thin aluminum used in most spoons and forks, I pray nothing needs cutting...

Edited by Ajarn

Due to the thin aluminum used in most spoons and forks, I pray nothing needs cutting...

Ah yes - thanks Ajarn!

How could I possibly have forgotten that little booby trap!?

I sometimes wonder what genius designed those blasted utensils - they always seem ready to collapse under their own weight, even before anyone tries to use them for the purpose they were supposedly intended!

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Isaan Dinner is easier. Using your hand with sticky rice, and using your hand to put variuos of veggis in your mouth. But becarefully, they are very hot and sharp spicy food, you might be sweat like waterfall at a time :o

Bon Appetite !

Thanks for the great tips! What is Isaan Dinner, though?

Isaan = The Northeastern part of Thailand.

It has its own cuisine, some dishes of which are eaten all over the country (in adapted versions) - som tam, kai yaang and khaao niaow being the most famous combo - sliced green papaya salad with lime juice, fish sauce, chili and shrimps, barbecued chicken and sticky glutinous rice.

Isaan = The Northeastern part of Thailand.

It has its own cuisine, some dishes of which are eaten all over the country (in adapted versions) - som tam, kai yaang and khaao niaow being the most famous combo - sliced green papaya salad with lime juice, fish sauce, chili and shrimps, barbecued chicken and sticky glutinous rice.

an' you got the entire assembly offered in remote areas of Suphanburi from women with motorbike sidecars in fantastic sun hats with a grill on the back for dey chicken wings and they shall pound that muthuh som tam before yer very eyes in huge mortar and pestle arrangements with large lashings of nam pla... forever to produce the ethnic and heady concoction...sticky rice on the side wrapped up in plastic...

faced with the choice between the above and Walls ice cream (he usually comes by the house at the same time) ah know whats cookin'...

an'...ah doan' even like thai food....

but...the food preparation drama cannot be denied...