What sort of sim card do u use for travel to europe?

snake24

I lived in Italy before moving to Thailand . I used to have a Sim card linked direct debit to my bank account , I also had bought a cellphone adapted to worldwide use , not all cellphone are .

On a round the world trip I was able to use my phone wherever I went , in the US without the international code . I'm sure that can be arranged in Thailand too .

only skype and whatsapp while abroad. this "you should be available every second of the day" never was my cup of tea and too often people have nothing to say anyway... i know this does not answer your question but it is a tip!

Edited by stickylies

In The UK always go to Carphone warehouse and buy an international sim 10 pound which is credit, use it in the uk and about 10P/Min to Thailand inform those you want to know your number, ditch it when you leave.

A new SIM in every country is always going to be the cheapest option, especially since cut-rate supermarkets like Lidl and Aldi almost give them away, but of course that means you have to keep changing your card. "Global SIM cards" are super expensive. They sock you with a big up-front fee and then huge calling rates. Vodafone, which owns a wireless operator in most European countries, offers "Vodafone Passport, a good deal on roaming charges and local calls across Europe, but I don't think there are any price breaks for calling Thailand: http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/pay-as-you-go/travelling-abroad/vodafone-passport/index.htm

To get cheap calls abroad, visit a phone shop in an immigrant district and pick up a cheap international calling card, in which you dial a local number to get an international connection.

Thanks for the input guys but here's the thing i am confused about. I mean aren't the countries in the EU all a collective? So suffice to say a sim card from one country in the EU should have the same charges as the home country when it's used in another country in the EU? Am i wrong here? So what it means is that even though countries in the EU all more or less have the same currency but when it comes to cell phone sim cards you still need to buy a sim from that country to avoid roaming charges?

So let's get this straight. I can use the same currency the euro when i visit spain or germany but if i need to make a phone call without expensive charges i would need to buy a different sim card when i visit spain and germany?

• 2 weeks later...

I think the best solution would be to buy international roaming sim card. For example if you buy Travelsim (www.travelsim.com) incoming calls for you will be free of charge in almost all European countries (outbound calls aren't that expensive either). Why to bother buying new sim card in every country you go when you can buy only one and speak cheaply.

I think the best solution would be to buy international roaming sim card. For example if you buy Travelsim (www.travelsim.com) incoming calls for you will be free of charge in almost all European countries (outbound calls aren't that expensive either). Why to bother buying new sim card in every country you go when you can buy only one and speak cheaply.

85€?? Shame on you.

Have used the same 1-2-call for 10 years or so.

Works everywhere.

How do you do that with 12 Call? I cannot even call from Vientiane to Thailand. Maybe on a good day near the river. It does not work outside of Thailand for me.

Have no idea why or how, but I can tell you it works in 25-30 different European countries, almost entire Caribbean, and most Asian countries.