Thai Senate OKs alcohol tax rise

webfact

Great news!! Finally they solved how to get rid of alcohol related problems! I hope that those of you who called politicians morons are embarrased!

no i dont think so......i do have a great collection of more choice words,but i dont need another ban ......w00t.gif

I am in Nakhon Sawan, everywhere I go I see almost empty fridges where the beer used to be, Makro only had Leo last thursday. What is it like where you are? I heard that brewing had stopped at the main breweries as a protest against the tax rise.

I doubt that. The brewer families are all deep into politics themself. If they would really don't like that law they could have stopped it.

• Like 1

This is not a new tax rise on alcohol, but the Senates approval of the proposal that was announced - without notice - on September 4.

Numerous topics about this on the various sub forums here, suffice to say supply has halted somewhat because, IMO, the wording used in the application of the tax equation is ambiguous (to say the least) and the department responsible for the collection and creation of taxes do themselves no favors by saying one thing and doing another.

Taxation Accountants and taxation lawyers/attorneys/solicitors/barristers will be making a fortune out of this in a few months as they to come to terms with the ambiguity of this new equation and exploit the short comings of it.

Indeed.

My intel is that this is all about getting back at ThaiBev, who are getting a bit uppity and not paying due homage to dear leader. The tax rise was to show ThaiBev, and Khun Charoen, who is boss.

The slipshod application of the new calculation tells me that this new law is an adhoc order upon high, and the MOF (usually some of the best civil servants going around) are left trying to figure out how to calculate a policy which takes time to work through and develop.

Do you think there is some true in it?

showing power with alcohol producer doesn't seem to be a good idea. They have very deep pockets, they could arrange a 1 Million people demonstration in Bangkok by just paying them and pay some of Thaksins cronies from Army and police to change sides.

Well it was hardly gonna come back down again. But, I wonder, would these senators be voting so in favour if they actually had to pay for their alcohol, like the guy earning 300 baht (or less)?

Guys earning 300 baht or less shouldn't be drinking alcohol, because it would burn up the few brain cells left.

rather cruel dont you think....earning 300 baht or less doesnt make someone automatically thick...neither funny or well thought out...coffee1.gif

I think people who are born poor in this country stay poor forever no matter how talented they may be the system does not allow them to progress which is why you get rich idiots running the show, often with their mistakes being swept under the carpet by their assistants who take care of things for them. The rich will always get richer and pay or get round whatever taxes are applied. Just like in my home country, funny that.

I am in Nakhon Sawan, everywhere I go I see almost empty fridges where the beer used to be, Makro only had Leo last thursday. What is it like where you are? I heard that brewing had stopped at the main breweries as a protest against the tax rise.

I doubt that. The brewer families are all deep into politics themself. If they would really don't like that law they could have stopped it.

Democrats possibly?

Do you think there is some true in it?

showing power with alcohol producer doesn't seem to be a good idea. They have very deep pockets, they could arrange a 1 Million people demonstration in Bangkok by just paying them and pay some of Thaksins cronies from Army and police to change sides.

You're looking at it way too simplistically...

Increased by what %?

That is a good question, local shops seem to be makking up prices as they go along, before the "great event" I could get a bottle of Chaing Classic for 42 just about anywhere, now I have been charged in a rrange between 46 and 50, there is local profiteering going on and the 50 bt merchants will not get my custom in the future, it will be a case from Makro, just like them, then I will make a profit and they will not.

• Like 1

We still dont know what the tax increase is in bt or %. Here in N/S before the application Chiang Classic was 42bts, it is now betwwn 46 and 50bts which in % terms is almost 10% or 20% increase, this cannot be right, can you imagine a rise of the magnitude in your home country? The govt needs to sort out this blatant rip off of all customers.

We still dont know what the tax increase is in bt or %. Here in N/S before the application Chiang Classic was 42bts, it is now betwwn 46 and 50bts which in % terms is almost 10% or 20% increase, this cannot be right, can you imagine a rise of the magnitude in your home country? The govt needs to sort out this blatant rip off of all customers.

The govt knew "exactly" what they were doing. From what I've seen beer prices have indeed increased approx. 15%...and as mentioned the govt knew before hand the prices would go up that much.

The government has sorted it out already, they are cashing in, and they have approved a new law recently that allows them raise the price as they wish.

The government has sorted it out already, they are cashing in, and they have approved a new law recently that allows them raise the price as they wish.

Hahaha... If by "sorted out" you mean they've come up with this whiz bang yewbeaut fandangled gizmo equation in which to calculate this then, sure, they've done that...

But if by "sorted out" you mean they're applying it correctly and currently and all is running smoothly, you better have another toke on the peace pipe, because I can assure you, there's so much ambiguity in the application of this new calculation, it's almost a darwin moment...

This is not a new tax rise on alcohol, but the Senates approval of the proposal that was announced - without notice - on September 4.

Numerous topics about this on the various sub forums here, suffice to say supply has halted somewhat because, IMO, the wording used in the application of the tax equation is ambiguous (to say the least) and the department responsible for the collection and creation of taxes do themselves no favors by saying one thing and doing another.

Taxation Accountants and taxation lawyers/attorneys/solicitors/barristers will be making a fortune out of this in a few months as they to come to terms with the ambiguity of this new equation and exploit the short comings of it.

Indeed.

My intel is that this is all about getting back at ThaiBev, who are getting a bit uppity and not paying due homage to dear leader. The tax rise was to show ThaiBev, and Khun Charoen, who is boss.

The slipshod application of the new calculation tells me that this new law is an adhoc order upon high, and the MOF (usually some of the best civil servants going around) are left trying to figure out how to calculate a policy which takes time to work through and develop.

Foodmart Jomtien have increased the price of alcohol "due to increased taxes"

A 4.5 ltr box of Cedar Creek wine selling last week for 960bht is now priced at 1200bht.

Is this really due to tax increase or is it Foodmart increasing their margin.?

Well it was hardly gonna come back down again. But, I wonder, would these senators be voting so in favour if they actually had to pay for their alcohol, like the guy earning 300 baht (or less)?

Guys earning 300 baht or less shouldn't be drinking alcohol, because it would burn up the few brain cells left.

What a bloody inane comment, I reckon you are already short of a few brain cells than those on 300 Baht a day. These people need all (100%) of their brain cells to survive whilst you, no doubt, are living in comparative luxury.

• Like 1

rather cruel dont you think....earning 300 baht or less doesnt make someone automatically thick...neither funny or well thought out...coffee1.gif

I think people who are born poor in this country stay poor forever no matter how talented they may be the system does not allow them to progress which is why you get rich idiots running the show, often with their mistakes being swept under the carpet by their assistants who take care of things for them. The rich will always get richer and pay or get round whatever taxes are applied. Just like in my home country, funny that.

Another crock of sh-t, I know many born and bred Thai people who hold high positions within the company they work for and are earning in excess of 200K baht a month.