USA router ethernet cable but wall phone outlet

Fatfrank

This is probably a dumb question:

I currently live in a building which supplies internet to all apartments via TOT, I am not satisfied with the router supplied by the building so during my recent trip to the USA I purchased a highly rated ASUS router.

To my surprise, when I replaced the building router with the Asus router and tried to plug the supplied ASUS router ethernet cable to the wall outlet jack I realized it's a "phone jack" outlet. The building supplied router has a phone jack adapter to accept a phone jack cable, however my ASUS router will only accept an enthernet cable.

The million dollar question is:

is it common for a place like MBK to sell a combo type phone/enternet cable to fix my problem or am i stuck having to purchase a router locally which uses a phone jack connection to access the internet?

Thanks for anyone's assistance on this perplexing issue.

Not sure as you've provided no details but am guessing that you have DSL from TOT? If so, your "old" router had a built-in DSL modem, and your "highly rated ASUS router" does not. Again, this is just my best guess.

Can you share any details? About the exact type of service? What is the brand/model of your "old" router? Does it have a different looking RJ-11 (phone jack) port on the back, maybe labeled "phone", or "DSL"?

Edited by lomatopo

Thanks for the recommendations gents, here is some additional information:

current router supplied by building- Zyzel Model P-660HN-F1 (1 DSL port which has the cable connected to the wall phone jack, and 4 ethernet port)

new router- ASUS RT-N53 Dual Band Wireless N600 SOHO Router, DD-WRT Open Source support ( 5 ethernet ports in the back)

Although not 100% sure I guess I am currently receiving DSL internet service from TOT base on the above.

The reason why I want to switch routers is that the wi-fi signal keeps dropping/turning off sporadically, if computer is connected via LAN cable, the internet runs consistently unless the TOT service goes completely down which unfortunately happens more than i care for

Is there any workaround to replacing the current router with the Asus router?

Thanks again guys

Edited by Fatfrank

Although not 100% sure I guess I am currently receiving DSL internet service from TOT base on the above.

The reason why I want to switch routers is that the wi-fi signal keeps dropping/turning off sporadically, ...

It's odd that you should say that your internet is being provided by the building as if you have an individual modem with individual login (as it appears) then one would expect that to be billed individually to you by the ISP (TOT in your case). It shouldn't really have anything to do with the building. It certainly doesn't in any condo I have ever lived in here.

Anyway, that's not relevant to your problem.

I expect that your wifi connection problem will disappear if you just change the wifi channel via the existing router's configuration page. Common channels are 1, 6, 11, 13 but you should try all of them in order until you find the one that works best for you. Do not alter any settings apart from the wifi channel.

If that doesnt work then you will either need to put the existing modem/router into bridge mode and turn off its wifi and use the new router with it, or buy an ADSL modem and use it with the new router. But try the wifi channel first as in my experience this solves nearly all wifi problems.

Edited by KittenKong

You could set the Zyxel unit in Bridge mode, use it as an ADSL modem only, then connect your new router and use it.

This will require that you access the UI/management system on the Zyxel unit. The user's guides for both units will be valuable sources of information.

There have been some good threads on this subject here, and there are a lot of good articles, diagrams and videos available via Google.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bridge+mode+site%3Bthaivisa.com&oq=bridge+mode+site%3Bthaivisa.com&aqs=chrome..69i57.7491j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=bridge+mode+site:thaivisa.com

Each interconnection between a bridged modem and router can be challenging and unqiue to configure.

Not sure you needed another router, the Zyxel unit should be fine unless you have specific application requirements which require DD-WRT, like router-based VPN.

This all seems similar to the USA AT&T 'Two Wire' modem which connects to a regular telephone outlet .... works fine but very specialized ... it is possible to connect a more conventional 'router' to this type of system

This all seems similar to the USA AT&T 'Two Wire' modem which connects to a regular telephone outlet .... works fine but very specialized ... it is possible to connect a more conventional 'router' to this type of system

Based on the OP's current/old router, Zyzel Model P-660HN-F1, it seems as though he has DSL; standard from TOT, rather than some "USA AT&T 'Two Wire'" system.

He can use the Zyxel unit in Bridge mode as an ADSL modem, and then connect the new Asus router, and then use it as a 4-port ethernet router and/or WiFi AP. The Asus router has a WAN/uplink port, it should be blue, which would be sued to connect to an ethernet port on the Zyxel unit, typically port 1 if a multi-port unit.

Assuming you have the username and password for the Zyxel unit ( browser to: 192.168.1.1; default password is "1234" ) it should be relatively easy to configure.

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/adsl_modem_router_bridge_mode

What he is describing is DSL or ADSL.

I wasn't exactly sure as nearly everyone refers to DSL as DSL, rather than referring to it as a "USA AT&T 'Two Wire'" system. Note that there was/is a DSL-CPE supplier called 2Wire.

FWIW, I worked at Bell Labs, and then Lucent for ~ 5 years, specifically on DSL. After which I went to work with a DSLAM start-up. While BellCore and Bell Labs individuals, along with many other academic types, could lay claim to "inventing and perfecting" DSL, it might actually have been international standards bodies, specifically the ITU, which ultimately led to the wide deployment of DSL?

• Like 1

As indicated above:

The Zyxel Model P-660HN-F1, is a modem+router - (all-in-one type of affair);

The ASUS RT-N53 Dual Band Wireless N600 SOHO Router is a router only and requires connection to a modem first.

Edited by Ginkas

Based on the OP's current/old router, Zyzel Model P-660HN-F1, it seems as though he has DSL; standard from TOT, rather than some "USA AT&T 'Two Wire'" system.

He can use the Zyxel unit in Bridge mode as an ADSL modem, and then connect the new Asus router, and then use it as a 4-port ethernet router and/or WiFi AP. The Asus router has a WAN/uplink port, it should be blue, which would be sued to connect to an ethernet port on the Zyxel unit, typically port 1 if a multi-port unit.

Assuming you have the username and password for the Zyxel unit ( browser to: 192.168.1.1; default password is "1234" ) it should be relatively easy to configure.

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/adsl_modem_router_bridge_mode

I used the word "similar" in a descriptive manner. surely you noticed this - so there is no need to be tacky...

This type of setup is common in the USA from AT&T ... "Two Wire" DSL ,,, My suggestion was an attempt to help OP recognize what he was working with... seems he was using the wrong features of the device he has in trying to hook it up to his existing system. In the USA - AT&T even uses this two wire technology to supply three services at that same time over two telephone wires - called U-Verse ... Telephone, Internet and TV programming... Considering they are using very old telephone cabling from home to substation the result is quite amazing.

Good Luck OP -- I hope you get your Internet back up soon using your new device...

• 3 weeks later...

As indicated above:

The Zyxel Model P-660HN-F1, is a modem+router - (all-in-one type of affair);

The ASUS RT-N53 Dual Band Wireless N600 SOHO Router is a router only and requires connection to a modem first.

Thx, I didn't realize they made combination Modem/routers before I purchased the ASUS router, it's all very clear now.

I've seen plug cables being sold (Telephone RJ11 to RJ45) where one end (RJ11) can plug into the wall phone jack and the other end (RJ45) can plug into the router enternet jack

I've seen plug cables being sold (Telephone RJ11 to RJ45) where one end (RJ11) can plug into the wall phone jack and the other end (RJ45) can plug into the router enternet jack

Not sure if we are not being excruciatingly clear but this will NOT work. You need a DSL modem to "plug into the wall phone jack" FIRST, then with that device in Bridge mode you can connect your new ethernet router.

post-9615-0-19458500-1381729129_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-76236600-1381729138_thumb.jp