Do you use a UK mailbox service to maintain a UK address?

AbeSurd

I've been living in Thailand for most of the last seven years and no longer have my own place in the UK.

At the moment I use a family member's address to maintain a virtual address in the UK. This means that as far as UK banks, the driving licence centre, the taxman, the local council, and even the local doctor are concerned - I still live in the UK.

Some folks reading this will assume I do this because I'm cheating on benefits or want to have my state pension index-linked. So let me just explain that this is not the case. No, I'm not claiming any benefits - and I'm 61, too young to get the state pension. So why do I go on paying my UK taxes and maintaining a UK address? Answer: because that's what I'm comfortable with.

But I'm not sure I'll always be able to use a family member's address to provide me with a virtual UK address. Things change, relationships change - so I need a backup plan for the future.

An alternative would be to subscribe to a mailbox service like Mailboxes Etc (MBE):

http://www.mbe.co.uk/

MBE in the UK promise more than a mailbox, they promise a virtual address.

Have any UK expats on ThaiVisa tried this approach to keeping a UK address?

If so, how well did it work?

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever reason you have chosen to keep a UK Address,it's a good decision,should you need an emergency bolt hole for the unforeseen happening,it's about your only option,just like your Mother,she is always there for you! There has always been a stigma attached to a Mailbox address,(often used by Con men) even though it could be quite legitimate,but still raise suspicion and doubt. Far better to keep your present arrangement,with someone who you can trust,back home!

Forgot to mention,there are other checks as to your residency in the UK. If you have not been to see your Doctor for a very long time (I think it's 3 years) he is getting a NHS retainer for you,and has to find out if he is still entitled to a annual amount for looking after his (you) patient.

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

Far better to keep your present arrangement,with someone who you can trust,back home!

Yes, I agree. But unfortunately relationships and circumstances can sometimes change for the worst over time. As I say, I'm just exploring a backup plan.

• Like 1

Mailboxes etc is a particular bad idea. All the addresses are flagged and so are rendered useless.

I keep a house in North West England, but if I was in the position where this was not the case, then your best bet is pay a landlord of student accommodation for the use of the letter box. Most landlords offer this service if you approach them. Alternatively you can simply redirect mail from any UK address to a post office box or international redirection. All you need to do is prove you once lived there by using a debit card. Use a prepaid debit card like Vanilla Prepaid and simply put the address you want to redirect from to you thai address. As far as everyone is concerned you live in the UK. Except you don't pay council tax. Simples. !!!

• Like 2

Doesn't the Tax department pick up on the fact that you reside overseas?

Immigration and Tax Dept's not liked?

I'm an Aussie so don't know.

Our systems are linked.

I haven't heard of this happening in the UK - if you say you live in the UK.

The UK taxman is happy if you say you are resident in the UK because he gets to claim on your money. So even if the systems are linked, I imagine he ignores the fact that you look on the system as if you live overseas.

Now, if the opposite applied and I was claiming to be live overseas, things might be very different - and he might take a lot more interest in my movements.

Mailboxes etc is a particular bad idea. All the addresses are flagged and so are rendered useless.

I keep a house in North West England, but if I was in the position where this was not the case, then your best bet is pay a landlord of student accommodation for the use of the letter box. Most landlords offer this service if you approach them. Alternatively you can simply redirect mail from any UK address to a post office box or international redirection. All you need to do is prove you once lived there by using a debit card. Use a prepaid debit card like Vanilla Prepaid and simply put the address you want to redirect from to you thai address. As far as everyone is concerned you live in the UK. Except you don't pay council tax. Simples. !!!

Very interesting post - thank you. Can I begin by asking you about "Mailboxes etc is a particular bad idea. All the addresses are flagged and so are rendered useless"?

I suspect you may well be right about this. Especially as we live in the age of databases - and Mailboxes Etc have their own unique postcode (well, that's what my local branch claims). But do you have any specific proof that they are flagged?

Alternatively you can simply redirect mail from any UK address to a post office box or international redirection.

The last time I enquired with Royal Mail they would only redirect mail for a maximum of two years. So unfortunately I think redirection is only a temporary solution.

Depends on your reason for maintaining an address in the UK I guess.

Regarding using student accomodation or a relatives address unless you are on the electoral role at that address it is meaningless. Thats what officaldom in the UK are using now

Try a trival motoring offence with an address 20 years old on your licence and not registered to vote at that address. Even car hire companys have access to the database. Try getting a UK credit card on a virtual address. I did it was impossible. first thing they checked was if I was registered to vote at that address

Depends on your reason for maintaining an address in the UK I guess.

Regarding using student accomodation or a relatives address unless you are on the electoral role at that address it is meaningless. Thats what officaldom in the UK are using now

Try a trival motoring offence with an address 20 years old on your licence and not registered to vote at that address. Even car hire companys have access to the database. Try getting a UK credit card on a virtual address. I did it was impossible. first thing they checked was if I was registered to vote at that address

Not having the correct address on your driving licence can cost you a £1000 fine.

Very interesting post - thank you. Can I begin by asking you about "Mailboxes etc is a particular bad idea. All the addresses are flagged and so are rendered useless"?

With British Monomarks you have the choice of a mailbox address i.e. BM1327 blah blah or a real address.

Addresses flagged - but that doesn't mean they know where you really are, or why you are using it.

Post Office redirection - service only available for a maximum of 1 year.

Edited by FiftyTwo

I just "borrow" my brother's address for driving licences and other post. I'm not on the electoral roll and don't need to be.

HMRC know I live in Thailand: I tell them every year to get my UK tax rebate. If I lived in the UK I could be liable to quite a few thousands in income tax/CGT, so it's in my interest to make sure they know I'm here!

I just "borrow" my brother's address for driving licences and other post. I'm not on the electoral roll and don't need to be.

Have you tried opening any UK bank accounts since you went off the electoral roll?

I left the UK nearly 40 years ago and have never been on any electoral roll since I was about 20. I have not had any difficultly opening UK bank accounts since then, either using my overseas address or my UK one. Not all UK banks will accept the Thai address though.

Have you tried opening any UK bank accounts since you went off the electoral roll?

I left the UK nearly 40 years ago and have never been on any electoral roll since I was about 20. I have not had any difficultly opening UK bank accounts since then, either using my overseas address or my UK one. Not all UK banks will accept the Thai address though.

Thanks, this is very helpful. When was the last time you opened a UK bank account?

With British Monomarks you have the choice of a mailbox address i.e. BM1327 blah blah or a real address.

From their website it looks like your mailbox has to be a London address.

Alternatively you can simply redirect mail from any UK address to a post office box or international redirection.

The last time I enquired with Royal Mail they would only redirect mail for a maximum of two years. So unfortunately I think redirection is only a temporary solution.

Addresses flagged - but that doesn't mean they know where you really are, or why you are using it.

Some UK government departments and councils specifically state on the envelope that mail is not to be redirected so the Post Office will not redirect them. Their mail will also not be sent to an obvious mailbox either. You do need to be aware of this, though a virtual address might be a better option.

I suspect you may well be right about this. Especially as we live in the age of databases - and Mailboxes Etc have their own unique postcode (well, that's what my local branch claims). But do you have any specific proof that they are flagged?

Mailboxes etc have around 50 or 60 franchises in the UK. Your probably no further than 30 miles from one. In order to operate the type of business they do, which is a "second address", they are in a tricky situation. Lets say you rent a mailbox and start receiving goods from overseas (which is plausible and totally legal). HMRC will certainly know that the address is a hub of mailboxes some business and some private. They have the right to make enquiries as to the owner of any mailbox, this is why when you sign a lease for a mailbox they ask for you for photo id, plus proof of address.

Moving on, lets say you put down your address as 33 Great George Street, Leeds LS1 3AJ, when HMRC or Royal Mail do a postcode lookup search, it will display hundreds of companies. Try googling the address as an example.

There is obviously no problem saying its a mailbox as you live in Thailand, but you would be lying if you said you lived there. You simply wouldnt be believed and would end up losing whatever it was you were trying to obtain or retain. For instance lets say finally you wanted to vote, you would not be able to convince Leeds City Council that you lived at that address registered to so many companies and private individuals, which an address lookup saying Mailboxes etc and they would not allow you to register to vote.

Its not the proof you asked for, but I hope this illuminates an answer a little clearer for you.

I agree with both your points.

I wouldnt want to put down on a pension credit /state pension that I 'claimed' to live at a mailboxes etc address. You might have some explaining to do there.

I am in a similar situation. I stopped working in the UK in 2007 and declared myself a non resident for tax purposes, then made sure I was only in the UK for less than the days allowed. However, I believe that most banks will not renew Debit or Credit cards unless you have a UK address and they will not send them overseas. I currently use my Father's address as a mailing address then he forwards anything I need onto me via DHL, Fedex etc etc. The couple of times Royal Mail and Thai Postal Services have been used the envelopes have mysteriously disappeared.

I'd be interested to know whether any of the "mail-box" services listed here are a valid address for having bank cards sent to.

Ye gods there is some awful tax advice on here.

Nobody can choose to be resident or non-resident, these are decided on the facts. In order to clarify the previously confusing situation HMRC introduced a Statutory residence Test on 6th April, 2013 which lays down rules to determine whether or not you are UK resident.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/rdr3.pdf

"....and I'm 61, too young to get the state pension"

But that will be one purpose of all this subterfuge won't it? In any case, time passes very quickly at that age when living in Thailand. I know, I was 55 years old when I came here 2 years ago, and now I'm 64!

• Like 1