Local version of poison ivy

junglechef

I have a very itchy rash climbing up my legs that is very much like poison sumac or poison ivy in USA. Believe originally from Mt Biking in jungle where I came home to find a large gash in my leg that looked like an huge scratch, all red and puffy but no blood or pain.A week later it started to swell and spread. Went to hospital and they gave me an antibiotic (dicloxacillan) and a steroid cream (betnoven-n) to go along with the antihistamine (certirizine dihydrochloride) I was already taking. Has anybody else experienced this or I know what it could be?

There is more than just a plant that makes you itchy. While doing some gardening with my shirt off, I was moving large bundles of plants and grass and it was in contact with my shirt. Later, burning sensation followed by massive swelling and blistering....just like a burn. Never did find out what plant caused it. But no more gardening without protection now.....sad.png

There are some caterpillars covered with a kind of hair or fur. These can cause the symptoms you described.

• Like 1

I have bright green caterpillars on the lily leafs in the pond who's bite feels like a wasp but last only a short while.

This rash is starting to get white heads and after a few days of medication and staying in the cool and relatively still it is not getting any better.

Thanks for input and any more welcome.

There are certain grasses (a bit like short pampas) that can give you an uncomfortable time for a few days also plenty of plants will prick you and give you a spotty rash. All the ones I've had clear up after a few days. I don't think I have heard of the Thai poisoned Ivy. Can somebody post a picture please?

i do get pretty nasty reaction working with bamboo or those little purple flowery weeds, but also after working a few hours helping harvest the rice fields

what does help me is as soon as i am finished go inside and rinse with just cool water , no soap

but i doubt if you really are sensitive or got some into a scratch or catterpillars this is gonna be doing much

I had it last year from a mango tree. The reward for helping my wife with picking some mango's. I seem to have some of the white fluid on my fingers and did scratch my leg. Itchy and blistering and spreading out over my left lower leg. The itching I could only get rid of for about 6 hours by schowering with very hot water. After about two weeks it was getting better. I didn't use any medication.

Fishtail Palms give people an itch if their leaves are touched. There are several varieties, the most common being a clumping plant about 3-4 meters tall but some others single trunk and very tall. Fairly easy to identify, there are a lot of leaflets along each stem and they are shaped like ragged fish tails.

A lot of plants are possibilities.

I had this years ago in Kanchanaburi at Jolly Frog - had not come in contact with any plants and finally determined it was a reaction to pesticide or herbicide being sprayed. Very similar to my poison ivy reactions except this was even hotter, skin eventually peeled off, area was about 8" by 2".

I have bright green caterpillars on the lily leafs in the pond who's bite feels like a wasp but last only a short while.

This rash is starting to get white heads and after a few days of medication and staying in the cool and relatively still it is not getting any better.

Thanks for input and any more welcome.

I want to alarm you! Go to a major govt or private hospital now. What you have sounds like a bacterial infection and should be checked out now. It's probably nothing but if it's necrotizing fasciitous (flesh eating bacteria) the sooner you go the more limbs you will have when it's over.

got very sore and itchy blisters on my right hand from clearing up dead leaves, I'm sure it was a hairy caterpillar - the only thing that helped was aloe vera gel, thoroughly recommend it, relieves the itch/pain, it's antibacterial as well and helps the skin heal. Still took more than a month for the blisters to go away.

Did you try aloe vera yet?

Aloe-Vera.jpg

Do you use it? How? I have read about preparing, just smearing on the juice doesn't work apparently: http://dokmaidogma.wordpress.com/2012/10/09/aloe-vera-does-cure-middle-age-acne/

I "burned" my hands by working with some chile peppers that I thought were not hot. I just broke off a piece of an aloe vera plant and rubbed it on the afflicted portions. It worked brilliantly.

• Like 1

We have aloe Vera growing in a few different places in the garden as four accident prone active kids about (my 3 sons and myself) and use it right from a broken leaf. Seems to take care of most of the cuts, scraps and bites.

ME Smith - just try keeping me off my bike and out of the jungle, might as well just pack up and move back to Boston

riceyumm - been to hosptial and I'm on antibiotic as well as other meds listed in OP

Johpa - totally lost me with the reference

But anyway learnt a lot from this topic, feeling a bit better today so think its getting better, thanks for all the input and love - there's so much love on TV it make me want to?!!

We have aloe Vera growing in a few different places in the garden as four accident prone active kids about (my 3 sons and myself) and use it right from a broken leaf. Seems to take care of most of the cuts, scraps and bites.

ME Smith - just try keeping me off my bike and out of the jungle, might as well just pack up and move back to Boston

riceyumm - been to hosptial and I'm on antibiotic as well as other meds listed in OP

Johpa - totally lost me with the reference

But anyway learnt a lot from this topic, feeling a bit better today so think its getting better, thanks for all the input and love - there's so much love on TV it make me want to?!!

Apocalypse now I think. The guy gets out of the boat to collect mangoes and gets attacked by a tiger.

• Like 1

Highly recommend

"Dr Chai Chan "

His clinic open everyday 1700-2000
Location 18.739662,98.99084
or
http://goo.gl/maps/VOEQG

Detail in Thai

คลินิกโรคภูมิแพ้ คุณหมอชายชาญ โรคภูมิแพ้ทางผิวหนัง (Allergic skin disease)
ถ.เกาะกลาง ต.ท่าวังตาล อ.สารภี, Chiang Mai, Thailand 50140

• Like 1

I suggest not walking under the tree, let it live to supply you with something to breath, and enjoy the butterflies to come ?

Unfortunately it's not that simple, the hairs get shed and into clothes, bedding etc. I have plenty of other trees.

totster :)

I suggest not walking under the tree, let it live to supply you with something to breath, and enjoy the butterflies to come ?

Unfortunately it's not that simple, the hairs get shed and into clothes, bedding etc. I have plenty of other trees.

totster smile.png

There is a tree that caterpillars like to colonise this time of year - name in Chiang Mai = Maleet mai

Some years the trees are heaving with them in a sort of web that encases the tree.

Black furry cute looking little guys but way too many of them !