400,000 Or 40,000 A Month

I heard from an ex-immigration friend of ours that it is not what we have been led to believe. That is for the marriage extension you must have 400,000 or 40,000 income per month. Since my last visa extension, when I presented my bank book with the 400,000 in it I have paid in around 60,000 a month. I went to immigration today. No, no they said. The money coming in must come from a pension fund. They advised me that if I didn't have the 400,000, to go to Mukdahan and cross over and get a 1 year multiple entry, then come back to them when I had the 400,000.

I find this a bit ridiculous, because the reason we do not have the money, is because we have just bought two new houses. We have a company which owns four houses, and of course The Farang Connection, and yet this does not count towards collateral.

So..............................can someone tell me the procedure and any tips for going across to Savahnnaket.

I believe the 40k is accepted for local employment with a work permit. Also it seems they will accept pension income if what they told you is true (as certified by your Embassy I suspect). As others have recently posted they seem to be checking support Thai wife extensions very closely these days.

There have been several posts about going to Savannakhet but I am not sure you can still obtain a multi entry there.

I heard from an ex-immigration friend of ours that it is not what we have been led to believe. That is for the marriage extension you must have 400,000 or 40,000 income per month. Since my last visa extension, when I presented my bank book with the 400,000 in it I have paid in around 60,000 a month. I went to immigration today. No, no they said. The money coming in must come from a pension fund.
If you are over 50, it could be that Immigration is trying to push you on the retirement route.

For the marriage extension, the income does not have to be from a pension, as Lopburi has mentioned.

Quote from the Immigration Bureau’s web site:

...In case of working in Thailand, Work permit and evidence of tax payment are required.

Employment evidence, work permit, and tax documentation showing an income of at least 40,000.- Baht...

This is nothing new, really.

You do not mention the source of those monthly deposits of about THB 60,000 you made into your account?

If they are were remittances from abroad, did you submit a letter issued by your embassy certifying a regular monthly income abroad, i.e. pension or other type of income? This is usually a requirement for retirement extension, but it could work also for marriage extension. For example, there are people who have monthly income from renting out property outside Thailand, or remit from foreign savings to Thailand.

--------------

Maestro

Martin,

I had a friend go to Savanahkeht consulate a couple of weeks ago to enquire if I can get a multi entry Non Imm visa there. This was in case of my extension application being knocked back. He was informed that they will only issue single entry tourist and single entry Non Imm visas there.

THankfully my extension was approved.

Sezzo

Thank you everyone.................................immigration at Kap Choeng tols me to go to Savahnaket for a multiple.

I was told I was getting a marriage/business extension,as I was on a business visa. The money paid into my account was revenue from my business here.

My point is, why are other assets not taken into consideration? On paper we are worth in the region of 20,000,000. I could have easily got a bank loan to cover the 400,000, but it is to late now.

I am on a Support visa for my Thai wife and son an I go to Suan Phlu every year from near Khampaeng Phet about 400 km.

I have a couple of pensions which cover the 40,000 a month bit but 1 year I went down to about 20,000 baht in the account and the lady I usually deal with just smiled and suggested that I borrow a bit to top it up which I did.

Nobody at Suan Phlu has ever suggested I go down the retirement route at all.

Personally I find that going to Suan Phlu is soooo easy apart from the time etc I wouldn't bother to go elsewhere.

I believe the 40k is accepted for local employment with a work permit. Also it seems they will accept pension income if what they told you is true (as certified by your Embassy I suspect). As others have recently posted they seem to be checking support Thai wife extensions very closely these days.

There have been several posts about going to Savannakhet but I am not sure you can still obtain a multi entry there.

I have heard this statement many times in the past BUT the Australian Embassy will not issue certification as this recent email from them confirms.
Dear Bxxxxx

Thank you for your message regarding your Thai visa. The Embassy does not provide assistance for Australians to obtain Thai visas.

I recommend you check with Thai Immigration what they require and present them with evidence of your income to obtain the visa.

Regards

Robin xxxxxx

First Secretary and Consul

Australian Embassy Bangkok

Phone: 66-2-3446453

Fax: 66-2-2874534

With regard the "OA" extension and in light of this what documentation will Immigration accept as proof of income? I'm a self funded retiree as such do not have a government pension to show, but can provide tax assessments etc. Edited by bdenner

Nice of your Embassy to be so helpful. If you do not have paperwork that you can have legalized (probably a stamp by your home government but perhaps they don't do that either?) I guess you will have to use the bank deposit of 800k and top up each year. You can talk with Immigration about what they might accept from your nationality.

I have just come off the phone to Savvanakhet.

They will issue a 3 month single entry visa, which local immigration( Kap Choeng) will issue a one year extension on, as soon as the 400,000 is topped up again. This is also what Kap Choeng told my wife, but her being Thai, I only got half the story. :o

It must be something wrong with your ears and you did not hear right. That is what I always get when I question the wife.

That means in 60+ days you and wife go to immigration with the bank account of 400k and get back into the one year extension of stay process. Not a major problem and Savannakhet is not too far from you.

I thought that the 400,000 Bt per year had to be remitted from abroad...
Burr, you’ve got that wrong. There is no need for annual remittances of 400K. If you go the 400K route, what you need is to show a balance of not less than 400K at the time of application for extension and to keep that balance until your application is approved. In other words, if you spend less than 400K during the year, you only have to top up the account to be over 400K again.
...doesn't have to come from a pension fund.
The OP talked about monthly deposits into his account, not annual remittances, and has since clarified that his monthly deposits were local payments, not remittances from abroad.

--------------

Maestro

I was told I was getting a marriage/business extension,as I was on a business visa. The money paid into my account was revenue from my business here.
This is confusing. Are you employed by and receive a salary from “your business”, and do you have a work permit?

Or are you a registered shareholder in “your business” and your “revenue” is in the form of dividends?

Remember, it is the husband who must support the wife. If your business is in your wife’s name, the income from it does not count as your support for your wife.

--------------

Maestro

More confusion. Too bad there's not just one place to look for definitive information.
This “just one place” exists: www.immigration.go.th

Plus, to cover the point “The officials reserve the rights to examine or ask for additional documents if necessary”, a chat with your local immigration office.

It’s as simple as that :o

--------------

Maestro

I am on a Support visa for my Thai wife and son an I go to Suan Phlu every year from near Khampaeng Phet about 400 km.

I have a couple of pensions which cover the 40,000 a month bit but 1 year I went down to about 20,000 baht in the account and the lady I usually deal with just smiled and suggested that I borrow a bit to top it up which I did.

Nobody at Suan Phlu has ever suggested I go down the retirement route at all.

Personally I find that going to Suan Phlu is soooo easy apart from the time etc I wouldn't bother to go elsewhere.

I have just got my 3rd annual extension based on support of Thai wife and child.

The process is always easy at Suan Phlu. If you have the correct paper work and your bank account is in order then evertyhing goes smoothly. I got my under consideration stamp 1st March and the annual extension was ready on the 24th March just before I returned to the UK.

Sir Lampy, IMHO if you go the support wife route you need to have 400,000 in the bank that has come from overseas. Your business interests must have confused them! :o !

My salary is less than 40,000b a month and Suan Phlu didn't take it into account as I hadn't paid any tax. I had to borrow the 400,000 for a month. I guess I'd be better getting a visa based on my work.

Now that I have paid tax, and have the relevant card, they should take it into account?

Maybe next time I'll only have to show 100,000 or so in the bank.

The whole thing pisses me off - I have more than enough to look after my wife and daughter(both Thai citizens) without needing money in the bank, especially from overseas. Why from overseas?

Is it ok to just leave 400k in the bank?....or do they want to sees some activities in the account too for visa extension? I'm planning not to touch it.

I'm 44 and have thai wife..... and funding my life in thailand on my own private saving...so no pension for me yet.

Edited by BKK90210

Why from overseas?
Nobody says it has to be from overseas (for support Thai wife), but if it is from Thailand, it should be earned legally, and income taxes should be paid on it. What’s wrong with that?

--------------

Maestro

Is it ok to just leave 400k in the bank?....or do they want to sees some activities in the account too for visa extension? I'm planning not to touch it.

I'm 44 and have thai wife..... and funding my life in thailand on my own private saving...so no pension for me yet.

If you leave the 400K untouched and on your next application for extension the Immigration Officer asks what money you used to cover living expenses, you should have a good answer ready and documents to prove your point.

But as usual, why make it simple if there is a complicated way?

--------------

Maestro

If you leave the 400K untouched and on your next application for extension the Immigration Officer asks what money you used to cover living expenses, you should have a good answer ready and documents to prove your point.

But as usual, why make it simple if there is a complicated way?

--------------

Maestro

I have just renewed my “O” extension with only 3 transactions on my account last year, 2 pissy bits of interest and 200 Baht bank charge. The officer in Nong Khai did not question the fact that I had not used any of the 400K.

I had a bag full of ATM receipts with me just in case.