Rimping and Cheese

gennisis

I know that Rimping are certainly not the cheapest supermarket and I guess a premium has to be paid for its selection of imported foods,which I am quite prepared to do....BUt their cheese prices are getting a bit out of hand.

Certainly a good and varied selection, but I think they should moderate their prices.

Example.....Big C....President 8 portion Camembert....395 Baht

Rimping same cheese same make....595 baht

Incidentaly,Big C thesedays have a good selection of French cheeses

The gap of 200 Baht is so wide, I wonder if one or the other has made a pricing error?

I doubt it. It's the way things seem to be here. For example, very nice extra virgin olive oil made in Spain (sorry too lazy to go downstairs and check the brand), at YOK in the promotion room - 199 Baht for a large bottle, maybe even more than 1 litre, same bottle at Rimping costs 465 Baht! Yet some things at Rimping are priced better than Big C or Tesco Lotus. Hard to figure the pricing.

Edited by elektrified

MAKRO at Hang Dong still have a good selection of cheese, and I like the vacuum packed ones, as they keep well in the fridge.

It would be hard to beat their prices.

Well I like cheese but I find that I have to buy way to big a block of cheese for my personal consumption at Macro.

The gap of 200 Baht is so wide, I wonder if one or the other has made a pricing error?

I doubt it. It's the way things seem to be here. For example, very nice extra virgin olive oil made in Spain (sorry too lazy to go downstairs and check the brand), at YOK in the promotion room - 199 Baht for a large bottle, maybe even more than 1 litre, same bottle at Rimping costs 465 Baht! Yet some things at Rimping are priced better than Big C or Tesco Lotus. Hard to figure the pricing.

IS Yok in Chiang Mai if so where is it

Don's Mall in Phuket was sold in 2010. I have retired to fish and organic vegetable farming in the foothills of Doi Hang in Chiang Rai.

When I am in Chiang Mai I buy cheese at Makro Hang Dong. I think that they have an excellent store there. The Makro in Chiang Rai sucks!

IS Yok in Chiang Mai if so where is it

Yes it is. It is across from Big C Super Highway.

Never been to the Hong Dang Macro is it as large as the one here in Chiang Mai on the highway?

For that matter is it hard to find in Hong Dang?

Larger, probably, especially for stuff that foreigners might buy.

Hong Dang is crazy hard to find though.

(Or switch your keyboard layout back to QWERTY, all the vowels are in exotic places. )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Does Makro let anyone in nowadays? I thought you needed to have a business in order to get a card. There was a time when the original Makro was inundated with students from Payap buying a bag of croissants each. After a while the rules were enforced, and other places started making croissants so it went back to being a wholesale store. Is it now going to be inundated with farangs filling the payout queues with 250 grams of Danish Blue?

When I think “cottage cheese” I think of my grandmother who would greet me, growing up, with an offer of potted hough (she stocked that stuff like it came from the fountain of youth) and cottage cheese. The texture of cottage cheese is different. Somehow, though, I’ve been thinking about cottage cheese lately. Is that just a grandma thing? Has yogurt displaced it? Are there any young people who eat cottage cheese? If so, are you one of them? Please tell me more in the comments.

Does Makro let anyone in nowadays? I thought you needed to have a business in order to get a card. There was a time when the original Makro was inundated with students from Payap buying a bag of croissants each. After a while the rules were enforced, and other places started making croissants so it went back to being a wholesale store. Is it now going to be inundated with farangs filling the payout queues with 250 grams of Danish Blue?

No business needed. Member card not required. Unlike in Europe in which this is strictly enforced.

Never seen anyone shopping in there for just one item. Too easy to grab a few things; especially at the Hang Dong branch.smile.png

Sometimes I see older Thais shopping like its their local fresh market buying just enough for tonight's dinner, perhaps out of habit. They seem to be always sitting in front drinking free instant coffee to power up for their big shop first looking rather happy. i find it endearing and would rather be behind them in line then the ones stocking up for their Mom & Pop shop any day.

Do you want me to tell them, or did you do so already?

From all the posts and my personal experience (I once complained about buying cheese that was bad upon opening it and after being told I should check everything before leaving store i.e. open every package at check out, then asked for my member card very aggressively) if they don't respond to your or any customers needs just go shop somewhere else, or at least for those items. It's not like at a restaurant (you knew I'd fit this in somewhere) where you order food and then get something different and are expected to pay for it. I'm not under some illusion that they will care too much but by shopping around one can get what ones needs but one can't always get what one wants (cue Mick Jagger) instead of getting frustrated by their lack customer service.