Thai Document Translated to English and Legalised

I need to get a Thai marriage certificate translated into English, and legalised.

I know the MFA legalises English documents translated into Thai, but do they do it the other way round?

The Irish Embassy require a Marriage Certificate – evidence (apostilled document) that marriage has

been registered in applicant’s country of origin/residence to issue a visa.

Thanks

Hi Colin,

You don't say where you are. Ireland or Thailand?

My translation for INIS was done in the UK by a normal translation agency.

I can't envisage a problem with your idea.

Your marriage certicate/s (the two documents) are the legal bit. If they had a problem they could always cross check.

My experience is that Eire is very relaxed.

In know things have moved on but when my wife got her citizenship in 2007 there was no interview of any sort and the whole think was done by post and telephone to the office in Tipperary. My only complaint is that it took several months.

If you are from Ireland you'll know Tipperary is a small rural town so it's not like dealing with a big office in London.

There are only around a 100 people working in the office so give them a call. You'll soon have a couple of people who can help you.

The number is 353 -62- 32500.

If you need any more help send me a pm. I don't want to get involved in a long running thread or dispute about other issues or the minutiae of European cross border migration.

Good luck and best wishes.

Edited by Jay Sata

The MFA does, indeed, legalise translations of Thai documents into English. Since it is hassle going to the MFA in Chaengwattana and waiting in the lengthy queues there, it is worth getting the translation agency to get the MFA legalisation done for you which most will do for an additional fee. Sometimes the MFA rejects the translations (happened to me twice for trivial reasons), so it is good for the translation agency to take overall responsibility.

You cannot get documents apostilled in Thailand because Thailand is not a signatory to the 1961 Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalisation of Foreign Public Documents. (Thailand is so backward in this respect that there is not even a law governing public notaries). That means that anyone insisting on an apostile of a Thai government document is asking for the impossible. The Irish Embassy should know this and only need the translation legalised as above.