Drunk tourists 'saving' lorises off Phuket streets, says animal rescue worker

webfact

Why the police doesn't go to arrest the vendor ? If "drunk" tourist can find those animals for sale, police can't ? Oh I forgot, it is Thailand

They employ a number of lookouts which signal the touts usually with a laser pen. The lorises disappear into bags and purses, touts melt into Soi Crocodile where they receive protection from the legions of ladyboys there. These are the same people that were found to be trafficking Cambodian children a couple months ago.

• Like 1

I can't get the picture out of my head of a well-meaning 'drunk' tourist paying to save one of these Loris and in the interim period of buying and handing in to the animal welfare centre, getting arrested for being in possession of an endangered creature...............sad.png

What would stop a tout coming out with this excuse if they were stopped by the police?

I have seen the scam of a punter buying drugs of a tout and moments later being 'stung' by the BiB.

Watch this space.................thumbsup.gif

I can only congratulate these people, an say THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

I only wonder why they have to be called " DRUNK " ????

There is no time - no place - no condition - etc -

For having a good hart !!!

Thanks again !!

Denis

Because this ridicules high price would only a drunk person pay.

You need to think a bit further (I know it's hard for some people)... If selling loris makes that much money even more will be hunted!

Don't buy any and don't pay for taking pictures! Call the tourist police if you want save them.

True , Plus these people have no idea of the Value of the currency . I've noticed this with tourists , they only think in their own Currency ..Completely irrelevant of Course . This then makes the Animal worth More , and so the problem expands .

Like the F/ wit ..I saw ( Australian ) giving a Lady Boy $50 AUd for prancing on the Stage in Banglar road ...Thinking to myself , Dont you understand what you are doing you Idiot ! ..Same with the Lizards , Monkeys ..and everything else .." Release the Bird " ..etc etc ..

If you are doing a " Take 10 in Patong " ..Thats great , but have a little understanding with regard to What goes on . And for F s Sake , dont Give a Gattoy $50 ..ever ever . ( Unless you wish to Bang Him ..of course :) ) ..lol lol

So now exploiters know that their 'investment' can increase 4 fold if sold to drunken tourist. By this way, no wonder loris will increase around bangla. Stupid act indeed and fool the man for paying such sum.

Fool? He was drunk!

By the way,better than nothing, to do something, even buying them!

They will than even bring more SLOW Lorises for sale, possibly, but I hope the police will start do something than, when its getting an animal market place that Soi Bangla!

Just look in any bag a Thai carries inside Soi Bangla and you get nearly all of them!

Just a corruption and neglect thing - problem!

Who cares the price.

The drunk will throw that kind of money away on drinks and inviting Bar Girls in 2-3 days! Possibly and that for nothing, for no good deed!

I bought once a Pangolin and a Land turtle on a market at the border exit-entrance of the 3 Pagodas Pass in Kanchanaburi, in kind of "no Man's Land", but on Thai soil, smuggled them threw a Thai police-Immigration check point and set them free in National park in Kanchanburi.

I felt good with that small deed.wink.png

Rihanna did the best thing a single person has ever done for the lorises in Thailand. These tourists and locals that are buying them are making matters much worse.

Soi Bangla with its North and South entrance is easy observed, just look in every bag and under every coat a Thai carries in and you will catch all soon.

Just let plain clothed policeman observe on Bangla and it is no Rocket science to stop that photo shooting,

only a bit money for the workforce and the will, the authorities have to provide.

I doubt Rihanna has pushed the button now!

In my opinion the surely few (drunk) Tourists who buy them make not much difference in that business,

but sure a difference for the life of the (few) animals they rescued with their good deed.

Better make something than nothing! thumbsup.gif

So now exploiters know that their 'investment' can increase 4 fold if sold to drunken tourist. By this way, no wonder loris will increase around bangla. Stupid act indeed and fool the man for paying such sum.

Fool? He was drunk!

They will than even bring more SLOW Lorises for sale, possibly, but I hope the police will start do something than, when its getting an animal market place that Soi Bangla!

Just look in any bag a Thai carries inside Soi Bangla and you get nearly all of them!

Who cares the price.

The drunk will throw that kind of money away on drinks and inviting Bar Girls in 2-3 days! Possibly and that for nothing, for no good deed!

I bought once a Pangolin and a Land turtle on a market at the border exit-entrance of the 3 Pagodas Pass in Kanchanaburi, in kind of "no Man's Land", but on Thai soil, smuggled them threw a Thai police-Immigration check point and set them free in National park in Kanchanburi.

Fool? He was drunk!

Who cares the price.

Thank you very much Alfredo,

If everyone , drunk or not, would act this way,

And not the wrong way,

The world would be a better place to live in.

Thanks again

Denis

• Like 1

How stupid is this? Enforcing a principle merely for the purpose of enforcing a principle, yet with absolutely no support to provide for the ones being "saved" or "rescued"; rather instead sending them to worse conditions.

Has anyone asked the lorises what he thinks about it? After all, most of these animals are so domesticated that it really makes no difference whether they are kept by attentive owners, or kept by insincere idealists who sleep good at night because they enforced a principle merely for the purpose of enforcing a principle... and give a dam_n after that.

Yes regarding -" kept by attentive owners "

But at least better in a cage that fits and hopefully in the future in a not so bad habitat, than carried around, by the owners or and touts who make business with the Lorises, night by night, in a extreme loud atmosphere and flashing lights and cuddled and touched by dozens - hundreds of people! sad.png

How would you possibly know that they are " Drunk " , hardly likely . It would be far easier selling the Scam to a Sober Female ( Generally )

Or a Sober Wild Life Fanatic .

Im guessing the Assumption is because If the Animal is brought in at 3am ..There simply are no Sober Tourists .

BUT ..if I'd had a nice night in the Bars , and was Walking home ..There is NO WAY you'd get me for 10,000 to Save the Possum ! lol

However , I wish the animals well .

More likely you will spend the same kind of money on drinks and 2 legged companionship without a thought. tongue.png

Dumb n drunk, creating problems again. Leave the critters be. No sale, no expoitation.

correction...exploitation

The sometime happening sale - buying of such animals creates the "exploitation"?

Not doing so stops it? Sure? blink.png

I could not read that in the words of the Animal rescue activist in the article. whistling.gif

Thanks again !!

Denis

You need to think a bit further (I know it's hard for some people)... If selling loris makes that much money even more will be hunted!

Don't buy any and don't pay for taking pictures! Call the tourist police if you want save them.

A "call"? save yourself the money "for nothing" bah.gif

How would you possibly know that they are " Drunk " , hardly likely . It would be far easier selling the Scam to a Sober Female ( Generally )

Or a Sober Wild Life Fanatic .

Im guessing the Assumption is because If the Animal is brought in at 3am ..There simply are no Sober Tourists .

BUT ..if I'd had a nice night in the Bars , and was Walking home ..There is NO WAY you'd get me for 10,000 to Save the Possum ! lol

More likely you will spend the same kind of money on drinks and 2 legged companionship without a thought. tongue.png

Hardly .....10,000 in a night ? ( Me ) ..You gotta be kidding .

And have never ever , and never would , take a Bar Girl ..Have never needed to ..So many other options .

10k for Either the Possum Or a Night on the Slops ..No Way ! I know what 10,000 B can actually buy .

Thanks again !!

Denis

Sorry but I don't really like your reply,

I love annimals more than most of humans.

I adopted 2 streetdogs and a streetcat.

My dream would be to have a small house and a VERY BIG garden to keep a very big number of annimals, in freedom!

And enough money to take care care for them !

I eat and drink only a little bit, so no problem for me !

Best greatings.

Denis

Fool? He was drunk!

Who cares the price.

Thank you very much Alfredo,

If everyone , drunk or not, would act this way,

And not the wrong way,

The world would be a better place to live in.

Thanks again

Denis

How is giving the touts more money to buy more loris's good? They just caused another loris to get it's teeth ripped out and doomed it to a life of captivity. Look at the big picture guys.

Fool? He was drunk!

Who cares the price.

I bought once a Pangolin and a Land turtle on a market at the border exit-entrance of the 3 Pagodas Pass in Kanchanaburi, in kind of  "no Man's Land", but on Thai soil, smuggled them threw a Thai police-Immigration check point and set them free in  National park in Kanchanburi.

I felt good with that small deed.Posted Image

Many people like you still don't get it, do you ?? "Better buy them than doing nothing..." I've never said that, you are saying that !

Read down the line: call-the-police ! That's all you have to do. The more the money people pay, the more you will see touts around bangla. Doesn't matter if you buy for setting them free, if you love animals more than yourself. I do love animals too and I am well aware that giving 40,000 baht for a loris will only make things worst. This issue will stop if people use their brain thinking further beyond their hearts but you still don't get it do you ??

There is NO WAY you'd get me for 10,000 to Save the Possum ! lol

Hardly .....10,000 in a night ? ( Me ) ..You gotta be kidding .

And have never ever , and never would , take a Bar Girl ..Have never needed to ..So many other options .

Other options? So many?

So, a three "legged" option? In women's, or men's clothing, one more option. tongue.pngrolleyes.gif

Sorry but I don't really like your reply,

I love annimals more than most of humans.

I adopted 2 streetdogs and a streetcat.

My dream would be to have a small house and a VERY BIG garden to keep a very big number of annimals, in freedom!

And enough money to take care care for them !

I eat and drink only a little bit, so no problem for me !

Best greatings.

Denis

-Denis-

With money for nothing, I meant the money you spend for the phone call to the Tourist Cops same -diz- advised it.

The money for that call would be for "nothing".

If the Cops want to do something about that photo shooting problem with endangered animals, they would and do not need a call! whistling.gif

Fool? He was drunk!

Many people like you still don't get it, do you ?? "Better buy them than doing nothing..." I've never said that, you are saying that !

Read down the line: call-the-police ! That's all you have to do.

-cekipa-

Call the police? Is same doing nothing! They will do nothing! If they would want, they could! Why they need your call?

Enough plain clothed policemen in Soi Bangla!

=Tight control action, Grid square!= But they do not want that!

So, your call, not worth the money, as soon as you turn your back on them the animal handler walks again freely!

AND, I not mentioned that you wrote, "Better buy them than doing nothing..." Maybe you believed so. tongue.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Fool? He was drunk!

Read down the line: call-the-police ! That's all you have to do. 

-cekipa-

Call the police? Is same doing nothing! They will do nothing! If they would want, they could! Why they need your call?

Enough plain clothed policemen in Soi Bangla! 

=Tight control action, Grid square!= But they do not want that!

So, your call, not worth the money, as soon as you turn your back on them the animal handler walks again freely!

AND, I not mentioned that you wrote, "Better buy them than doing nothing..."  Maybe you believed so. Posted Image

Tourists and tourist police volunteers have to stick on pursuing. If you point them the touts they will do something. For every 40,000 baht you pay for 1 loris, other 2 will come out brand new.

Tourists and tourist police volunteers have to stick on pursuing. If you point them the touts they will do something. For every 40,000 baht you pay for 1 loris, other 2 will come out brand new.

They will do something? The Tourist police volunteers have no real "power" have to stick with their official Thai Tourist police comrades.

These Tourist police comrades and the man in brown will do something, -try to cash in- from the tout, as soon as the Tourist who "pointed" them out, is out of sight.

Exceptions prove the rule rolleyes.gif

Edited by ALFREDO