How does deportation work?

Hi,

I've been wondering - how does deportation form Thailand work? Whatever the reason for the deportation - who covers the costs, do they put you on the first plane home and wave goodbye?

If they don't cover the costs than what about the people who don’t have money to leave, to pay the overstay and so on? I guess they end up in detention centers. Where are the centers? Can they keep people there indefinitely? What are the conditions there?

I'm asking of pure curiosity. I know people here who have been mistreated by they employers, had their passports taken from them, tricked with false promises and so on, but are scared to fight back as they can't afford the costs of dealing with the overstay, deportation and so on.

cheers

• Like 1

if you're stopped by authorities and have overstayed, for example, you will be issued a fine. If you can't pay the fine you will be sent to prison to effectively repay the fine at a rate of 200 baht a day (I believe) until the fine is repaid. So a 10000 baht fine will take 50 days to repay.

After leaving jail, you will be deported. While tickets etc are arranged, you will be held in an Immigration Detention Centre. The main one is at Suan Plu. Thailand does not pay for the deportation costs; that is down to you. In the event that you don't have the funds to pay for repatriation or you cant get someone to help, you are held there indefinitely.

There are numerous examples of people being held for very long times. One Australian chap is currently there and has said he will happily die there; he doesn't want to return to Australia, despite people offering to pay his bills.

I am currently helping a lady in the UK get funds to her brother who overstayed and is being held in the IDC. It's a very grim place.

• Like 2

Thanks a lot! Very interesting and...a bit scary. I know people who wouldn't be able to pay and leave which means, theoretically, being indefinitely held in a DC.

I wonder what does international law say about holding someone indefinitely anywhere. And are there organizations one cans ask for help?

Thanks a lot! Very interesting and...a bit scary. I know people who wouldn't be able to pay and leave which means, theoretically, being indefinitely held in a DC.

I wonder what does international law say about holding someone indefinitely anywhere. And are there organizations one cans ask for help?

Very interesting question.

Anybody?

if you're stopped by authorities and have overstayed, for example, you will be issued a fine. If you can't pay the fine you will be sent to prison to effectively repay the fine at a rate of 200 baht a day (I believe) until the fine is repaid. So a 10000 baht fine will take 50 days to repay.

After leaving jail, you will be deported. While tickets etc are arranged, you will be held in an Immigration Detention Centre. The main one is at Suan Plu. Thailand does not pay for the deportation costs; that is down to you. In the event that you don't have the funds to pay for repatriation or you cant get someone to help, you are held there indefinitely.

There are numerous examples of people being held for very long times. One Australian chap is currently there and has said he will happily die there; he doesn't want to return to Australia, despite people offering to pay his bills.

I am currently helping a lady in the UK get funds to her brother who overstayed and is being held in the IDC. It's a very grim place.

"if you're stopped by authorities and have overstayed, for example, you will be issued a fine" - well that seems to be not the case in Phuket for example - if you are caught on overstay you will be arrested , fined and deported. That seems to be the current trend right now.

"if you're stopped by authorities and have overstayed, for example, you will be issued a fine" - well that seems to be not the case in Phuket for example - if you are caught on overstay you will be arrested , fined and deported. That seems to be the current trend right now.

How is that different from what I said.

You will be fined. If you can pay the fine, you will be deported at the earliest moment at your own expense.

If you cant pay the fine, you will be banged up until the fine is paid off at the rate of 200 baht a day. And then you will be deported. If you cant raise the funds to pay for your deportation, you will be held in IDC until you can.

Simple.

Generally if the deportation is merely for overstaying you will be allowed back in. If it is for a drug offence almost certainly banned for several years for canabis or life for anything more. If it is an offence that has a one year penalty you will probably be blacklisted.

One of our members deals with people on overstay professionally.

After serving time for the fine in regular jail, you will be held in IDC till you have arranged for a ticket out of Thailand. If you can't pay and can't find any family or friends to help you, there is an organization that will pay for your ticket after you stayed in IDC for 6 months

I often wonder why some folks think there Embassy should shoulder the cost of a ticket home for some scofflaw. When you booked the original flight to Thailand did your government pay for the ticket. I believe when you are in a country you are subject to the laws of that country, no matter what country you are a citizen of. Do not overstay.

• Like 2

I often wonder why some folks think there Embassy should shoulder the cost of a ticket home for some scofflaw. When you booked the original flight to Thailand did your government pay for the ticket. I believe when you are in a country you are subject to the laws of that country, no matter what country you are a citizen of. Do not overstay.

Well you may be surprised to know that certain countries take care (in form of a loan) of their citizens that have committed no serious crime, have no criminal conviction, but are detained indefinitely just because lack of funds.

• Like 1

I'm curious as to how some countries routinely pick up the tab when deporting undesirables, often after lengthy ("free") legal process; while others do bugger all without consequence.

It is taxpayers who pick up the bill.

I do not want any tax paid by me to be spent on extracting miscreants from foreign places.

I'm curious as to how some countries routinely pick up the tab when deporting undesirables, often after lengthy ("free") legal process; while others do bugger all without consequence.

I do not want any tax paid by me to be spent on extracting miscreants from foreign places.

Before say that consider. The longer they stay here in a place like the IDC the worse their health is likely to get. If they are returned to the UK they would likely need treatment at public expense which will cost much much more than the 20000 baht it would cost to return them which after all is generally a loan which they have to repay. The actual costs are just the administrative ones. While they are here they are entitled to consular visits and are the subject to many consular reports about detained nationals all of whichcost money. It is a simiilar situation with many other nationalities.

• Like 1

If you are a US citizen on Social Security or Veteran's pension, I would try to negotiate a deal whereby the Embassy buys the return ticket with the cost being deducted from future benefits payments.

Edited by moradave

Well you may be surprised to know that certain countries take care (in form of a loan) of their citizens that have committed no serious crime, have no criminal conviction, but are detained indefinitely just because lack of funds.

And we are talking people here,who have done little more than run out of funds, regardless how this came about, IMHO,they do not deserve to be locked up....Their own Embassy should get them home safely,knowing full well there will be many chances over the years,when they can retrieve the British Tax Payers money. If the British System can apply an attachment to earnings for Maintenance for ex wives and children,then it's a small step to apply the same principal,for returning Ex Pats,who got into difficulties!

let's not talk about criminals,who originally obsconded, in order to cheat the system or conned someone,thinking they would never need to go home and face the music!

• Like 2

This is a bit OT as it's Malaysia and not Thailand, but...

I was queuing for outbound immigration in KL a couple of weeks ago, and in the next queue there were around 20 Burmese in chains, looking to be of the illegal manual labourer sort. One by one, they were unlocked and sent to the immigration agent booth. Some went through the immigration agent in front of me. When I reached her desk, I asked her what was up with those guys? She told me they were illegal Burmese, and their government had arranged tickets for all of them to be repatriated at the same time.

So Myanmar pays for return tickets apparently. But then, I am not sure I would be looking forward to the Myanmar government's repayment plan once I got back.

The Canadian government will help after a ton of begging and if they pay your travel fees your passport is held until you repay the bill however they charge 300% interest and in most cases stamp your passport as "unfit for travel" which means you cannot leave Canada again but this depends how much you pissed them off and the situation that caused your deportation and the fee for travel at the said time of year etc.

Countries execute minors. hold minors in detention without trial and conscript them into armies.

"International law" is silent on these things.

Not sure it's something I would be relying on.

Thats what he said!

Before say that consider. The longer they stay here in a place like the IDC the worse their health is likely to get. If they are returned to the UK they would likely need treatment at public expense which will cost much much more than the 20000 baht it would cost to return them which after all is generally a loan which they have to repay. The actual costs are just the administrative ones. While they are here they are entitled to consular visits and are the subject to many consular reports about detained nationals all of whichcost money. It is a simiilar situation with many other nationalities.

This actually happened to a guy i knew in IDC,the money to repatriate him was eventually raised and he was flown home to stay in the English hospital until he was fit enough to be released...when released he was put in a council flat but unfortunately died 2 months later.

The other thing to consider is if a detainee dies in the IDC or even a prison and has no family the costs incurred then are also met by the Embassy of the person's country.

I think the punishment should be as it is and if unable to pay the deportation costs after six months all embassy's should intervene and fly persons home as the IDC not only causes sickness of the body but can bring on severe trauma.

Then passports should be confiscated until the person shows the passport office that they have funds to travel independently again,nine times out of ten the six months in IDC will put anybody off ever being in the situation again.

• Like 1

Yes. Your embassy.

Although whether they help with financial assistance depends upon the country. The UK doesn't, I believe.

Also, they're not being held indefinitely per se. They are being held until the money is raised - from whatever source - to pay for your repatriation. I'm not sure why overstayers think the Thai government should pay for their flight home, after they have deliberately flouted immigration rules.

Nobody said that the Thai government should pay for flights home. Sometimes those who overstay don't deliberately flout immigrations rules. If you hold a destitute person in detention, where that person can't get money, until he or she has money, you are holding him or her indefinitely, per se.

Are you an expat? If so you should pay no taxes in your home country.

Then regarding tax money, for example don't want my country to buy fighter airplanes exceeding the amount of the national deficit.

But I think that repatriating people that had bad luck (image you are robbed of everything), made mistakes or even commited crimes and paid the penalty, is a sign of civilization of which to be proud.

Thank you.