Phuket sex show raids not coming – yet

webfact

Phuket sex show raids not coming – yet
Phuket Gazette

sow.jpg
Patong Police Superintendent Chiraphat Pochanaphan says he has received no order to crack down on lewd shows on Soi Bangla. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- The chief of police in Phuket’s premier party town of Patong has confirmed that he has yet to receive any order to launch a crackdown on lewd shows on Soi Bangla.

“As soon as we receive such an order, we are willing to do whatever the order demands,” Patong Police Superintendent Chiraphat Pochanaphan told the Phuket Gazette this morning.

The news follows reports of Tourism and Sports Minister Somsak Pureesrisak apparently telling at least one reporter on Tuesday that he would order a crackdown on Patong’s renowned “adult entertainment” shows that feature ping-pong balls and other paraphernalia.

Yet when speaking to the Gazette at the opening of Phuket’s new Tourist Court on Tuesday (story here), Minister Somsak said he was aware of the tweets posted by global celebrity Rihanna that had sparked worldwide controversy over Patong’s renowned shows (story here) – but would leave the matter in the hands of “the relevant authorities”.

“I am aware of the news. The relevant authorities are taking care of it. I have not ordered any local officers to take action about this,” he said.

“However, I will raise the issue with Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, and if she decides we should take further action, we will. Patong is a key tourism destination. We are keeping our eyes on it,” Mr Somsak assured.

Meanwhile, Col Chiraphat said that his officers rounded up yet another slow loris tout on Soi Bangla early yesterday morning, the third in as many days (story here).

Pichet Pimrat, 27, from Phitsanulok, was arrested with a slow loris – a vulnerable and protected species – and a camera at about 2am, said Col Chiraphat.

“He was charged with possession of a protected species without a permit,” he said.

“This is routine police work. We have not received any special order to enforce this law. Police are on the lookout for animal touts every day,” Col Chiraphat said.

“With every arrest of such touts, we hand the slow lorises over to the Environmental Conservation Division at Khao Phra Thaeo Wildlife Sanctuary in Thalang. However, touts keep getting their hands on them somehow,” he said.

“These people keep coming to Patong to make money, and we will keep doing our job of arresting them until they are no longer in Phuket,” Col Chiraphat vowed.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-sex-show-raids-not-coming-yet-22350.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-26

So now you know who profits from the sex industry in Thailand...

give a hint not the owner of the bar

yes i am open for a critics word on that

no i never had a sexshow bar in thailand

Edited by retell

So now the BIB need to get orders from above to actually perform the work they are paid to do. Ridiculous, but then again TIT...

Col. Chirapat's words are most revealing. It's clear that RTP are simply not in the business of wholesale law enforcement. This is something we already know, of course, but it's remarkable that a senior police officer would articulate it in public.

This situation reflects a general mentality in Thai enforcement agencies that if enough of a particular illegal activity is occuring, it loses its illegality. Of course, such a mentality is closely aligned with those people's tendencies to corruption.

• Like 1

chief of police in Phuket [...] I will raise the issue with Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, and if she decides we should take further action, we will.

Local policing a ministerial responsibility? blink.png

Edited by Morakot

So now the BIB need to get orders from above to actually perform the work they are paid to do. Ridiculous, but then again TIT...

Col. Chirapat's words are most revealing. It's clear that RTP are simply not in the business of wholesale law enforcement. This is something we already know, of course, but it's remarkable that a senior police officer would articulate it in public.

This situation reflects a general mentality in Thai enforcement agencies that if enough of a particular illegal activity is occuring, it loses its illegality. Of course, such a mentality is closely aligned with those people's tendencies to corruption.

Both your comments aren't really accurate. If you have ever gone to a nude go-go in Patong with nude dancers or sex shows, you will see they do employ lookouts which every so often alert the staff and dancers to cover up because the police are walking near by. They even did this when my friend, who is a foreign tourist police volunteer when he was in plain clothes. So they do fear getting caught by the police, even if it's to avoid being having to make another on the spot donation of tea money.

So now you know who profits from the sex industry in Thailand...

^^ BIS has a sex show? Bet that's popular.

^ And who is paying for it all? I read a lot of moaning about corruption here but how many are paying the bar fines to get girls ( or boys)

I happen to agree- what consenting adults do is their business

Prostitution is not illegal, however third party profit from it is. That's the sensible law that is ignored and forms the basis for Thailand's corruption. Let sex workers work, give them safe environments and let them keep their earnings, tax them accordingly.

VIOLA !! contributing citizens

All this crap about reputation, laughable. Thailand is the world's brothel. Take prostitution out of the equation and see tourist numbers plummet.

This is why I have no respect for Thailand- the hypocrisy and lies that are the basis of the culture.

( and yes, I'm using my western standards of morality, which isn't fair. But if they'd just admit it, instead of trying to appear to have western standards to attract money, e

Edited by MacChine
  • Like 1

Special orders, He's saying such are not expected. Why would they, it is a law. Why would he suddenly enforce a law ?

Stupid law that targets women anyway, ( who do have all the - meow meow !!) I'd like to incite these workers to rise.

"but make them do it illegally and so we can profit from protection...." is what they need to be fighting.

Edited by MacChine

“I am aware of the news. The relevant authorities are taking care of it. I have not ordered any local officers to take action about this,” he said.

“However, I will raise the issue with Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, and if she decides we should take further action, we will. Patong is a key tourism destination. We are keeping our eyes on it,” Mr Somsak assured.

Unbelievable. I know this is Thailand, but wow! If you know there is illegal activities going on, isnt your duty as a police officer to uphold the law and not wait for orders from the PM for something that should be taken care of at the city level?

It's grey area, institutionalized. and it is exploiting women specifically.

just the way it works if they check for helmets you can pass them without a safety belt upsidedown facing backwards while texting

and say they got order to check for 2 hours at this intersection it will be exactly 2 hours before and after everything is fine again

“With every arrest of such touts, we hand the slow lorises over to the Environmental Conservation Division at Khao Phra Thaeo Wildlife Sanctuary in Thalang. However, touts keep getting their hands on them somehow,” he said.

somehow, somehow, somehow...the statement of helpless ineptitude...

maybe there is a corrupt Thai official at the Wildlife Sanctuary who turns those Loris's right back in to the touts, just a thought...maybe somehow you are in on it, another thought...I better stop now, last thought

I'm in Patong right now with my family from Australia, my 89 year old mum my sister and three children,,, upon entering or leaving the Shopping center the Ping Pong touts crowd around us,,, the children are asking me to explain,,,, my sister chose Patong for convenience but it's not the best place for families to holiday.

I don't want to sound like a "killjoy" BUT........

If you have a Mother, Wife, Sister, Daughter or even a Son or Brother, would you enjoy having them perform these acts on stage so that a few people who probably can not either find anyone to have a sexual relationship with (unless they pay for it) or perhaps they just just simply are unable to "hold up" their END of the action?

I don't want to sound like a "killjoy" BUT........

If you have a Mother, Wife, Sister, Daughter or even a Son or Brother, would you enjoy having them perform these acts on stage so that a few people who probably can not either find anyone to have a sexual relationship with (unless they pay for it) or perhaps they just just simply are unable to "hold up" their END of the action?

What a terrible thought