24 Thai provinces under grip of floods

webfact

INUNDATION
24 provinces under grip of floods

The Nation

30215774-01_big.jpg

Northeast, East brace for tropical depression approaching from Vietnam

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Irrigation Department is keeping a close eye on the impact of the upcoming tropical depression from Vietnam, which might affect several provinces in Thailand's Northeast and Eastern regions.

Ubon Ratchatani, Si Sa Ket, Surin and Prachin Buri would likely be affected by the upcoming depression. These areas are already severely hit by floods, the department's deputy director-general Suthep Noipairoj said yesterday.

He expressed concerns about the flood situation in Prachin Buri as the Pasak Chonlasit Dam is now nearly full and needed to discharge some volume of water before the new tropical depression arrived.

To date, the volume of water in Pasak Chonlasit Dam was 785 million cubic metres while the full capacity of the dam was 960 million cubic metres.

"We have to discharge about 8.9 million cubic metres per day from the dam to prepare for the upcoming depression," he said.

Meanwhile, Chao Phraya River should drain water at 2,300 cubic metres per second, which exceeds its capacity of 2,195 cubic metres per second.

Suthep explained that the department would drain the excess amount of water into the fields on the western and eastern banks of Chao Phraya River.

However, he explained that most of the flood-affected areas were located along the river and waterway and that is why they were at risk from the adverse impact of the flooding.

Floods have already affected more than 2.1 million people this month and ravaged more than 1.14 million rai of farmland.

Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department director-general Chatchai Phromlert said yesterday that floodwater had also damaged 2,310 roads, 6,900 houses and 145 bridges. "Of the 29 flood-hit provinces, the situation in just five has returned to normal as of today," he said.

Still under water are Surin, Si Sa Ket, Ubon Ratchathani, Buri Ram, Amnat Charoen, Chaiyaphum, Yasothon, Mukdahan, Phitsanulok, Phichit, Kamphaeng Phet, Phetchabun, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Lop Buri, Saraburi, Chainat, Prachin Buri, Sa Kaew, Nakhon Nayok, Chachoengsao, Ayutthaya, Angthong and Suphan Buri.

Many of these provinces are heavily flooded. The worst-hit spots in Chaiyaphum are about 2.8 metres under water.

In Buri Ram, floodwater levels have soared above three metres in Krasang district, marooning more than 200 families. Officials are making desperate efforts to get relief items to these victims.

Working alongside local administrative bodies, the department has mobilised thousands of volunteers to deliver assistance. More than 1,500 boats have been dispatched to reach the victims. Not all, however, are happy with the authorities' response.

Anong Thongsri, a 46-year-old resident in Prachin Buri's flooded Kabin Buri district, lamented that assistance efforts had failed to reach all those affected. "The floodwater level is also rising," she said.

Department of Religious Affairs chief Preecha Gunteeya said, meanwhile, that 295 temples in 12 provinces were flooded, affecting 2,014 monks.

The Government Housing Bank has offered a debt moratorium for flood-hit customers, whose loan repayments will be suspended for up to nine months depending on the severity of their situation. During that period, no interest will be charged on the loans.

Should flooding damage the whole house of a loan recipient, the bank will write off all outstanding debt on the house, leaving just the debt from the land purchase to pay.

Flood-hit loan recipients can contact the bank for help at (02) 645 9000.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-27

Government Housing Bank writing off debts associated with the house but not the land. I feel sorry for these people but is there not another approach. Seems to me more government money down the drain so to speak and more debt being built up. These people obviously have extreme problems but how long can 'nanny state' Thailand keep on doing this.

They should be sorting out proper flood management mitigation. Surely that would be a better approach and reduce losses leaving more for actual investment and mitigation rather than subsidisation..

• Like 1

If this incredibly ineffective bunch in government had followed procedure, completed the public hearings, undertaken the Environmental Impact Assessments then they might have been able to have spent some of the massive 350 billion baht that they borrowed 2 years ago.

Instead they ignore democratic process and attempt to dictate to the people then get upset when the populous complains.

Useless

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

If this incredibly ineffective bunch in government had followed procedure, completed the public hearings, undertaken the Environmental Impact Assessments then they might have been able to have spent some of the massive 350 billion baht that they borrowed 2 years ago.

Instead they ignore democratic process and attempt to dictate to the people then get upset when the populous complains.

Useless

Also noted that the amazing Mr. Plod has not commented on this debacle, except to say that Bangkok will definitely not be flooded....!! <deleted> kind of comfort does that give to those up country who have once again been abandoned...?!

• Like 1

coffee1.gif But Yingluck like "King Canute" promised ? cross my heart that she would hold back the water. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

clap2.gif Another splot of inane, disjointed, out of context, meaningless crud in which the person posting is apparently impressed with himself. w00t.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif These responses keep getting better & better.tongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png

• Like 1

Useless

"Useless." ??? Perhaps you would be good enough to elaborate on exactly what money did not go where and to do what and how you know it was not utilized in a productive fashion. ...And dictating exactly what to people??? Also, just who in the gov't made statements indicating that they were upset at people's discontent?

Useless

Also noted that the amazing Mr. Plod has not commented on this debacle, except to say that Bangkok will definitely not be flooded....!! <deleted> kind of comfort does that give to those up country who have once again been abandoned...?!

The same man who called the anti dam demonstrators stupid animals and said they should all be thrown in prison

• Like 1

A portion of the flooding problem is, that natural waterways are blocked by roads, new housing estates and airports built in a swamp that was designed to be a water holding area. The residents of KaBin Buri threaten to dig up the road so the water will flow. Politicians instead of fixing the problem, look for some one to blame. The blame game does not help the people that are dying while politicians talk, and count the money. coffee1.gif

This is a global problem mate. We see it here so often we're blinded to the fact

it exists darn near everywhere. Especially since the worlds weather patterns have

changed.

• Like 1

coffee1.gif But Yingluck like "King Canute" promised ? cross my heart that she would hold back the water. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

clap2.gif Another splot of inane, disjointed, out of context, meaningless crud in which the person posting is apparently impressed with himself. w00t.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif These responses keep getting better & better.tongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png

Well I am quite sure what you say is quite true but I believe there is a number of us not familiar with the story or the man who would get a little meaning out of it if we knew what or who you were referring to.wai.gif

Government Housing Bank writing off debts associated with the house but not the land. I feel sorry for these people but is there not another approach. Seems to me more government money down the drain so to speak and more debt being built up. These people obviously have extreme problems but how long can 'nanny state' Thailand keep on doing this.

They should be sorting out proper flood management mitigation. Surely that would be a better approach and reduce losses leaving more for actual investment and mitigation rather than subsidisation..

The Dutch offered to help with water Management after the 2011 disaster only to be turned down because Thai Academia said they could handle the problem.

Same problem same government same hope for the future.

Yes I remember now you say. I suspect somebody didn't know the Dutch have a sea to cope with not just a river. If the government are like the masses they wouldn't know where it was because they can't read a map.

Joking apart yes it's a sad indictment of Thai mentality I think.

The Dutch offered to help with water Management after the 2011 disaster only to be turned down because Thai Academia said they could handle the problem.

Yes I remember now you say. I suspect somebody didn't know the Dutch have a sea to cope with not just a river. If the government are like the masses they wouldn't know where it was because they can't read a map.

You are to kind.

With the exception of a few I was referring to the so called academia at the universities that has as yet to come forward with any new research still depends on the rest of the world and teaching teachers to teach students to learn by rote.

If I remember correctly they suggested a 100 mile long tunnel 10 miles deep that in the non flooding season could use the top of for a roadway.

Note please I did not make a general statement I did say there are a few who are truly thinkers the rest learned by rote.

Yet somewhere i read that a Thai (damming) expert has been employed to design and implement water barriers in Holland and elsewhere and when he offered to advise Thailand for free he was dismissed on the above statement,, if anyone has the facts on this i would like to read it again.

Useless

The above sums it up very well.

Yes, flooding can happen even in the most organised of countries & some of it may be unavoidable in Thailand. But B350bn (urgently appropriated by decree 2 years ago) ought to be able to mitigate some if not most of the repetitive flooding if the government could only put competent people in charge & use any offered expert advice.

What we have is a totally incompetent 'plodder' who is appointed for no other reason that he is a loyal Thaksinite. This idiot spends more time on wacky ideas and insulting anyone who has a different opinion, especially local people who are not consulted.

The Bangkok Post had a few things to say about the main culprit a few days ago.

You are to kind.

With the exception of a few I was referring to the so called academia at the universities that has as yet to come forward with any new research still depends on the rest of the world and teaching teachers to teach students to learn by rote.

If I remember correctly they suggested a 100 mile long tunnel 10 miles deep that in the non flooding season could use the top of for a roadway.

Note please I did not make a general statement I did say there are a few who are truly thinkers the rest learned by rote.

Indonesian flood control and a 200km "super floodway" Thai proposal here:

http://www.irinnews.org/report/95680/thailand-how-to-move-floodwater-through-bangkok

Useless

"Useless."  ???  Perhaps you would be good enough to elaborate on exactly what money did not go where and to do what and how you know it was not utilized in a productive fashion.  ...And dictating exactly what to people???   Also, just who in the gov't made statements indicating that they were upset at people's discontent?

Its a matter of public record that less than 1% has been spent. Korn raised the matter in parliament.

Dictating what dams will be built where without the required public hearings and EIAs is not democratic. Its dictatorial

Yes and the same problem for many many years now.