Disposing of litter

phitsanulokjohn

It's just been announced on the news,that the police/government are to implement a Singapore style policy with regards to the disposal of litter or spitting.If you're caught,throwing down a cigarette butt,tissue or spitting they are going to issue you with a 2000 baht fine.Any thoughts?

Good idea! Can only see it being inforced when Farangs are committing the offense. Lets be honest if they try to inforce this with Thais motorcycle taxis will cease to exist.

I think the plastic bag and plastic bottle situation needs to be addressed before they start on spitting or cigarettes. A major education of 7/11 employees should be implemented and a if you need to buy more than 2 items before you can get a bag. A bottle of water and a pack of smokes does not need a bag!!!

Watch the local school bus everyday with kids chucking crap out of the windows, walk out of tesco watch the kids throw their rubbish on the floor with Mum and dad with them. Thais dont care about this and see no need to change anything.

• Like 1

OP do you have a reference to this - what media exactly? Is it only butts and tissues or litter in general?

I think they already had the 2000 baht fine in certain places in BKK for dropping cigarette butts - there was a thread on this before.

I would love to really see this happen but unfortunately just cannot see it being uniformly enforced. Also are they going to start fining the Chinese for spitting........

More laws begets more 'criminals'

Education is a far better option. Starting with the very, very young. Ruling by 'fear' doesn't work all that well in the end. A change of attitude is what is needed.

In Australia many moons ago they began an intensive public anti litter campaign, based on love of country, appealing to our national pride, with the slogan 'Don't Rubbish Australia', and then, Ian Kiernan came up with his idea of a national 'Clean Up Australia Day'. I know this sort of public mindedness exists in pockets of the country but it needs to be nationwide.

Packaging in this country is unreal, why wrap it once when you can wrap it up tightly three times and then vacumn seal it in almost unbreakable plastic covering for good measure.

I have wondered for a long time why the Thais continue to treat their country like a rubbish dump. Someone elses problem. Thais are such an extremely proud, parochial, nationalistic lot, I am sure an appeal to them on the grounds of love of country blah blah blah would be more effective. Otherwise it will just end up Tea Money for you know who.

A very public 'Royal Project' to this effect would probably work wonders.

• Like 2

Don't Rubbish Australia was an extraordinarily successful campaign and you are quite right in pointing out that education is fundamental and very important. Focus on the kids and get them to shame their parents into not littering. This is what was done in Australia and it worked a treat.

• Like 1

OP do you have a reference to this - what media exactly? Is it only butts and tissues or litter in general?

I think they already had the 2000 baht fine in certain places in BKK for dropping cigarette butts - there was a thread on this before.

I would love to really see this happen but unfortunately just cannot see it being uniformly enforced. Also are they going to start fining the Chinese for spitting........

True,,, Was in BKK a few years back,,, was popping into a shop and I flicked my cigarette but on the floor.

the misses waited fore me out side the shop,, when I came out side, they were waiting for me,,, holding the cigarette.

Took me to one of them police booths on the side of the road,,, 2000 baht maxim fine,,, A lit bit of pleading and a little bit of haggling, ended up paying 500baht fine .

At best they'll pick on a few foreigners, while the large scale dumping of garbage over the back wall, bottles, bags and cans thrown from passing vehicles will continue.

There is no point trying to deal with litter when a sense of responsibility beyond one's own family/home/people who you owe favours to(or might be useful to you in the future) is lacking.

Edited by GuestHouse

First step is get some rubbish bins.

So soon we´re going to live in SEA´s Hub of environmental protection, good. Even if this is true, it´s just another anouncement and nothing to be serious about.

But they actually put up some trash bins now, these light brown ones? Some years ago i really had trouble to find a place where i could get rid of my orange juice bottle i like to buy while walking. So there really is slight progress thumbsup.gif

Hi.

I'm sorry I don't but my wife was telling me about it, whilst she was watching the article on telly, as i was posting on tv.