Charity groups estimate that 200 to 300 foreigners living on the streets in Thailand

webfact

It's always sad when someone ends up homeless through circumstances beyond their control.

I have lived in Chiang Mai for more then 8 years now and I have never seen a homeless farang here.. so I'm not convinced this story is accurate at all.

Living here on and off for 12 years, I have encountered 3-4, and have heard from others of several more. I think it's probably not far off.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris, sorry your down on your luck, might be a good idea to get a new calculator! 200,000GBP =1,000,000 THB? By my reckoning it's about 10,000,000 THB Good luck, nice to hear someone who doesn't go with the corrupt flow and has a conscience.

Chris has bigger problems than being homeless. If, as he claims, he was in the finance industry and calculates 200,000 quid to be only a million baht, he's in real trouble.

I'm interested in your story too martman. Put pen to paper.

Like I said earlier.

There must be at least 10 replies have all said the same thing. I don't think anyone would make such a schollboy error in basic maths.

Chris is a financial consultant.... Every financial consultant I have ever discussed pensions with has used the same terminology. They first say the pension fund value, then they say what it is worth annually.

Now £200,000 would probably come very close to paying around £20,000 a year in pension.

So I would have thought it very obvious that Chris was saying his fund is worth 200K which is worth a million baht (A YEAR) which to me is quite accurate.

I don't think anyone was stupid to take a pension fund of £200K and unlock it all... even if they wanted to, they couldn't They can only unlock a % at the age of 55.

If Chris gets out of BKK or Patts... Then his monthly pension should serve him well for the remainder of his life. Especially as he is now used to a basic standard of living.

Both the Nation and the Post have ran articles on these 200-300 homeless (white) foreigners in recent weeks. I've got to just say that I haven't seen any of them in Central Bangkok or in Phuket. I don't visit Pattaya much but I've also never seen any there. Also, the pic in the article appears to show a warm sleeping bag and just wondering how anybody could use that in this climate and if the pic was really taken in Thailand?......My only experience of a homeless white man is about six years ago when a Dutch bloke in his late 20's wondered the streets of Silom, Surawongse and Sukhumvit. He became quite popular amongst some of the expats and one of the newspapers took up his story. He ended up being taken off the streets by a Thai lady who wanted a kid, and after being impregnated he was beat up by her and her family and kicked out again. Finally, he managed to make his way back to Holland probably after the news report.

Another down and out financial expert on the scrounge for food and money keep him in Thailand already plenty scroungers in the UK that we are paying for let So him stand on his own two feet and try signing on with the social security office over here in Thailand he is in this predicament because of his own stupidity no one else told him he had to accept a job that he needed a conscious to complete the work, it’s all his own choice.

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal. Please do not post using overly large font.

I mentioned this several times, they can go live at a temple, free food and room. They can even get paid to teach English, no work permit neded if living at the temple. They don't even need to become a monk. Also they will meet many Thais who will help them with a new start by giving them work for helping at the temple. Then they can leave the temple after a year or so and have a new start. I did it so why can't they, I guess they are too lazy or just drunks.

Randy

It's very easy to pass judgement when we have never walked in their shoes.

For the Pattaya readers. Has anyone ever noticed the foreign guy with the black beard who always sits in the police box on Sukumvit. He is usually sat at the Theprasit junction? Always wondered if anyone knows what his story is?

Regularly,I stay on Khaotalo not far from his usual haunts.Word is he has lost everything to a Thai wife/girlfriend.I wish him no harm but I wonder why the authorities just ignore him.Surely it would be better for all concerned if he was repatriated?

I see him on a regular basis. He also frequents the elevated stage on Beach Road. There are three other foreign chaps that i see regularly that have all the appearances of homelessness, i.e dirty clothes, unkempt, public drinking (not to be confused with hard party tourists). Of more concern are the undocumented, homeless Burmese, Laos and Khymers. They have nothing and no safety net at all.

Once again we are reminded just how far down the scale of human misery some people must descend before they can find someone they can look down upon.

I wonder how many of the people making scathing remarks about the guy in this report can actually say with any certainty that they themselves could never wind up homeless in Thailand?

I suspect that's what's at the bottom of their remarks - hating most that which they see in themselves.

• Like 1

On the rocks, homeless and totally destroyed in Thailand can easily happen.

I have seen many cases.

Non judgemental compassion and practical help never fails to work.

A big finger to the holier than thou, complacent, it can't happen to me , they deserve their fate posters on here.

• Like 1

On the rocks, homeless and totally destroyed in Thailand can easily happen.

I have seen many cases.

Non judgemental compassion and practical help never fails to work.

A big finger to the holier than thou, complacent, it can't happen to me , they deserve their fate posters on here.

I consider myself to have been circumspect and chosen wisely ........ but I recognise at the same time that I have also been fortunate considering what I know now.

Would I do the same again with someone else, ten years older and wiser?

Pass.

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

I mentioned this several times, they can go live at a temple, free food and room. They can even get paid to teach English, no work permit neded if living at the temple. They don't even need to become a monk. Also they will meet many Thais who will help them with a new start by giving them work for helping at the temple. Then they can leave the temple after a year or so and have a new start. I did it so why can't they, I guess they are too lazy or just drunks.

Randy

Well I was going to mention that. Seems like the cities they are all in have notorious red light districts. Along with that comes the booze.

I believe some of the Embassies will help them. Not all some could care less.

Where to start..??

In the US, I met numerous homeless people. I worked at a Mission one summer and discovered most homeless keep themselves that way because it is easier than working for a living. Yes, there was the guy working his way up in business while he slept in a tent under the bridge, until he could afford an apartment. Also a guy who lived in his car and showered at work.

The article is pure BS, first because it targets only white folks, second, because many homeless westerners need only apply at the embassy to receive assistance. Add in that there are Rotary Clubs, Foreign Business organizations, American VFW & Legion chapters - the list goes on and on.

If anything, it says that these people lack planning skills and have chosen an easy path in life.

Dear K'Juarawee, your topic is misinterpretation. Farang is not equal foreigner, this is well known in TH seems only zou don't know.

Can be 200-300 homeless foreigners in TH especially in BKK but I have never seen white European (farang) homeless but I have seen many African and Asian foreigners to live in streets.

If I see homeless farang, I will talk to hem, I will ask why is he in need and what can I help him.

That's all.

There are only 3 ways you can help these people, either give them food and shelter, give them money, or an air ticket home and I doubt there is many who would be prepared to go that far with their kind offers of help, so your words are futile, mean nothing and totally useless for these losers having to live rough on the streets and begging to survive.

Unless on the run from their own countries, which I guess many are, there are no reasons why farangs should have to remain in Thailand if they are no longer capable of financially sustaining themselves here. All they do is create problems and the tightening up of visa regulations for all of us. By helping them, just encourages more of their kind to plonk themselves here and become burdens abroad.

Back in Farangland they are eligible for welfare and Government handouts, so it is best and kinder to deport them, plus they are of no benefits to themselves or other expats living here.

These are the harsh facts, as being kind at heart does not feed and shelter these people. It`s really a case or actions not words or put up or shut up or round them up and send them back where they belong.

Edited by Beetlejuice

• 2 weeks later...

I'm one of those homeless foreigners. Stayed in

Thailand till my money ran out and slept on benches.

Really seen the generosity of the Thai people helping

me thru that difficult time. Back home working and

will return to Thailand again.

A tip: when you return. sleep on the beaches instead of the benches thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I'm one of those homeless foreigners. Stayed in

Thailand till my money ran out and slept on benches.

Really seen the generosity of the Thai people helping

me thru that difficult time. Back home working and

will return to Thailand again.

Yes . well lets hear how you came to be in this Situation , and then it can be avaluated .

How was it that you absolutely could not get Back ? ..And when / if you do return , How will you make absolutely sure that it doesn't happen again ?

I heard about an english guy who was middle-class in UK. he realized ha would never be high class in UK and live the life he wanted so he sold everything and move to thailand bought everything in his thai gf name. House, Land, Car and the rest. he was in his 40s

Anyway his girlfriend or wife trowed him out. now he has nothing 0, not even a place to sleep. I asked a thai lady what she thought about it. her view was: Maybe he came home drunk all night and argued. why is he so stupid to give and put everything in her name only?I answered: because of love, he loved her. she replied: Love oh my God, Love, why doesn't he love him self! strange answer but I guess she had a lot of points. everything doesn't have to be in a thais name facepalm.gif

Edited by Mangosteen1

I heard about an english guy who was middle-class in UK. he realized ha would never be high class in UK and live the life he wanted so he sold everything and move to thailand bought everything in his thai gf name. House, Land, Car and the rest. he was in his 40s

Anyway his girlfriend or wife trowed him out. now he has nothing 0, not even a place to sleep. I asked a thai lady what she thought about it. her view was: Maybe he came home drunk all night and argued. why is he so stupid to give and put everything in her name only?I answered: because of love, he loved her. she replied: Love oh my God, Love, why doesn't he love him self! strange answer but I guess she had a lot of points. everything doesn't have to be in a thais name facepalm.gif

Its a Reasonable Summary of a General Thai Attitude ...But lets be Honest She has a Decent Point !