I have read a lot of good reports about this bank on this forum, but their branches are all around the London area. Does anyone know if anyone can join this bank with an online account no matter where they live? I looked at their website, and was highly impressed, I sent them an email and they never bothered to answer.

Yes, I think you can (if you have a UK address).

I signed up for my account whilst I was in the UK near London last year. It took about 20 minutes from beginning to end, and I walked out with my debit card in hand.

I don't have a UK address, and I won't be anywhere near London the next time I go to the UK, so that will probably rule me out, but I understand now that Barclays ship debit cards to your Thailand address.

As far as i know you need a UK address ,when i was over last year i went to "my local " branch ,about 200 miles from the address i was using ,filled in the forms ,told them i would be in Thailand much of the time and that i would be taking money out regularaly there from machines ,no problem although there is a 300 pounds a day limit and to arrange a swift transfer it must be done in branch(i was informed this will change to online) twice i have had to get in touch with them from here and they phoned me back both times. all i can say about this bank is i feel that i am a valued customer ,not just a bloody nuisance.
Ps i took out 15000 baht this afternoon from an aeon machine ,no charges whatsoever

Edited by i claudius

As far as i know you need a UK address ,when i was over last year i went to "my local " branch ,about 200 miles from the address i was using ,filled in the forms ,told them i would be in Thailand much of the time and that i would be taking money out regularaly there from machines ,no problem although there is a 300 pounds a day limit and to arrange a swift transfer it must be done in branch(i was informed this will change to online) twice i have had to get in touch with them from here and they phoned me back both times. all i can say about this bank is i feel that i am a valued customer ,not just a bloody nuisance.

Ps i took out 15000 baht this afternoon from an aeon machine ,no charges whatsoever

Thanks Claudius, my sil sends my bank cards to me now, but it may not last much longer, so I am looking for a plan B. I always use Aeon ATMs, never been charged,. just took out 30.000 Baht with my two debit cards.

Don't discount their credit card. The best on the market for International use alongside the Halifax Clarity.

Yes, but it seems they do not like answering e-mails which my present bank always does, only drawback is they will not send any cards to my address in Thailand.

You have to go into a branch to apply.

Your other options include the N&P Gold accounts of the Cumberland Building Society Plus current account.

Alternatively, you can obtain a Halifax Clarity CC and top it up with cash as and when.