Build a low cost semi-automatic generator transfer switch.

Crossy

8 minutes ago, ericnoodeeka said:

looking myself for a genny set up, getting daily powercuts here in sakon, if you not too far could come over and you could give me sm advice.

We're in northern Bangkok, even so when the skies darken the juice goes off ? 

My day job (which pays the bills) is currently occupying more time than I would like (no overtime), no real time for the hobby stuff ?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/2/2018 at 5:37 PM, ericnoodeeka said:

see what you mean, I watched a Scottish bloke reverse engineer one of these things and he said they were ok, cant remember how he solved the switching on of the genny though.i will try to find the video again and put a link up . 

This one?

On 9/2/2018 at 5:28 PM, ericnoodeeka said:

u seem to know ur stuff crossy, what u think of this? these things any good?

ats1.jpg

These chaps have advantages and disadvantages.

Pros

• Easy to set up with minimal wiring (but see below).
  • They incorporate over-current protection (MCBs) which may be useful in some situations.
  • Manual operation is available.

Cons

• There is no connection to auto-start a generator, this requires an extra relay and associated wiring.
  • They rely on a relay to sense the presence of the incoming supply. Fine if the supply goes off completely but many of us get very low voltage due to loss of a HV phase, this may not be sensed. An additional over/under unit is needed in order to provide the extra functionality.
  • It takes up to 4 seconds to switch over in either direction.
  • They are pretty big and, due to the non-standard shape, will need some "adjustment" to any box you intend putting it in.

Archived