Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Western Union transfer to Krung Thai Bank

I want to try a transfer to my Krung Thai account from the UK using Western Union. It would appear that it would be cheaper and faster than the somewhat optimistically named" swift transfer" system!

To do this I need the Bank Code and Branch Code. I have found the branch code through a post on this forum, but cannot find the Bank Code. It is a 3 digit number. All the bank can offer is the Swift Code - which doesn't help.

Has any kind soul out there any idea what the code is, or where I can find it?

Thank you

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would be interested once this transfer has been executed to find out the cost comparison. My experience of Western Union is they will fleece you on commission and the exchange rate, just the same as a high street bank. All robbing bzastards in my view. Please let us know.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how Western Union works from Thailand to the UK, but when sending money from the US, you send it to a person, and a city, not a specific bank or account. When creating the transfer they will give you a reference number. Then the person picking up the money needs to show ID with exact matching name, and must provide the reference number and know the exact amount and who sent it.

Western Union is going down the toilet in the US as competitors are offering the same service at a much cheaper price.

• Like 1

Thank you for your concern, but I have been happily married for 11 years with an 8 year old daughter and am trying to investigate using WU to transfer money to my own account here.

• Like 1

From looking at the Western Union web site you need the bank name (Krung Thai bank), the "bank" code which is the first 4 letters of Krung Thai's SWIFT code...the first four letters is KRTH, the "branch number" should be the first 3 digits of your account number (or at least that's the way it is with Bangkok Bank accounts), and the full "account number."

Western Union webpage regarding the what's needed for a transfer to a Thailand bank account.

http://www.westernunion.com/sites/us/service-details/details-direct-to-bank.page#StoV

But this assumes Krung Thai Bank will accept such a transfer directly into a bank account. Since Bangkok Bank has such good info on banking subjects in English, From looking at the Bangkok Bank web site regarding FAQ's regarding Western Union transfers, Bangkok Bank can't due to Western Union restrictions....look at the FAQ 8. However, you can still transfer funds to most any Bangkok Bank branch for personal pickup...look at FAQ 7...then who ever picks the money up could deposit it into an account. Expect Krung Thai Bank probably operates the same way as I expect the same Western Union restrictions would apply.

The web page talks bank codes (part of the SWIFT code) and provides SWIFT codes

http://www.theswiftcodes.com/thailand/

Thank you to all who offered help, especially to Pib. Krung Thai Bank have now come up with a Bank Code (006), Western Unions website however does not accept my account number, as it is printed in my passbook. On balance I think I will abandon this process at this stage, too much risk of my hard earned dosh drifting around in cyberspace for weeks or months whilst I tear my hair out trying to get it back! Once again thank you anyway.

Thank you to all who offered help, especially to Pib. Krung Thai Bank have now come up with a Bank Code (006), Western Unions website however does not accept my account number, as it is printed in my passbook. On balance I think I will abandon this process at this stage, too much risk of my hard earned dosh drifting around in cyberspace for weeks or months whilst I tear my hair out trying to get it back! Once again thank you anyway.

A bank code of 006 sounds almost too generic by itself...really nothing distinctive about it to identify it from other banks around the world. 006 seems more like a "branch" code. The Krung Thai service points locator webpage says 006 is the "branch" on Wisut Kasat Road in Bangkok. That wouldn't happen to be your branch would it?

No, my branch is the BigC Chiang Rai! As I said, too many variables mate!

Yea, I agree. Good luck in figuring the best/cheapest method to do transfers...I know it can be frustrating in having the feeling the associated fees are too high and/or exchange rate too low.