Does 90 day reporting via mail still works?

jiangaq

You can't get your visa in Phuket, then live in CM, without reporting the move. If you moved you are required to report it immediately. Your 90 day report reports where you live.

In Phitsanulok, I only file my 90 day report by mail; always have.

It is my understanding from a friend and another thread on TV that if you live in Muang CM, you cannot file by mail. But if you live in CM Province, far away from Immigration, then you can. You should probably go in this time and ask some questions.

You can't get your visa in Phuket, then live in CM, without reporting the move. If you moved you are required to report it immediately. Your 90 day report reports where you live.

In Phitsanulok, I only file my 90 day report by mail; always have.

It is my understanding from a friend and another thread on TV that if you live in Muang CM, you cannot file by mail. But if you live in CM Province, far away from Immigration, then you can. You should probably go in this time and ask some questions.

I have done a 90 day report in person at an Immigration office other than Chiang Mai.

you can do your 90 days at any office so if you live in chaing mia send it to your local office..

Chiang Mai Immigration does no longer accept posted 90 days reports for those living in Chiang Mai city, but foreigners living in Chiang Mai regions and not in the city are still allowed to post the 90 days report.

The reason being that immigration does not really want foreigners to travel a long distance every 90 days.

you can do your 90 days at any office so if you live in chaing mia send it to your local office..

Chiang Mai Immigration does no longer accept posted 90 days reports for those living in Chiang Mai city, but foreigners living in Chiang Mai regions and not in the city are still allowed to post the 90 days report.

The reason being that immigration does not really want foreigners to travel a long distance every 90 days.

Thank you for this information. How do you know this? Not that you are to be doubted, but lots of rumors , secondhand or incomplete reports cloud TV Chiang Mai immigration topics.

And I should add my apology for having forgotten to ask the question myself when I last did a report at the Chiang Mai office.

As this last stood regarding Chiang Mai --- and Chiang Mai only --- it was surmised that if you lived in the city or in the "immediate" area (e.g., Hang Dong, Mai Rim, Mae Jo, San Sai) that you had to go to the office, but no poster has ever really confirmed that in any sort of validated way.

Will some kind soul not as forgetful as I please ask a supervising officer this question !!!

In the meantime, getting a 90-day report done at the office is a snap. Nonetheless, the mail option seems attractive.

And, Tywais, once we have an answer, please pin it !!!

Edited by Mapguy

Thank you for this information. How do you know this? Not that you are to be doubted, but lots of rumors , secondhand or incomplete reports cloud TV Chiang Mai immigration topics.

And I should add my apology for having forgotten to ask the question myself when I last did a report at the Chiang Mai office.

As this last stood regarding Chiang Mai --- and Chiang Mai only --- it was surmised that if you lived in the city or in the "immediate" area (e.g., Hang Dong, Mai Rim, Mae Jo, San Sai) that you had to go to the office, but no poster has ever really confirmed that in any sort of validated way.

Will some kind soul not as forgetful as I please ask a supervising officer this question !!!

In the meantime, getting a 90-day report done at the office is a snap. Nonetheless, the mail option seems attractive.

A year or so ago I did 90 day by post regularly, and I live right in town.

A year or so ago I did 90 day by post regularly, and I live right in town.

Myself, and many others did the same by making their 90 days report via postage in Chiang Mai, but immigration stopped it about a year ago.

At my first visit after the stoppage I asked the counter officer about it. he confirmed it, but did not give the reason for it, I think it is too much postage hassle for them.

As a result those living in Chaing Mai City must get back into the queue ... marvelous again ...

Never mind a year ago! Can someone please pop the question with a responsible Immigration Officer and post a complete reply (with the name and position of the officer useful) ? Key question: What is the area including Muang Chiang Mai and its immediate neighborhoods within which one must show up in person.

Edited by Mapguy

Never mind a year ago! Can someone please pop the question with a responsible Immigration Officer and post a complete reply (with the name and position of the officer useful) ? Key question: What is the area including Muang Chiang Mai and its immediate neighborhoods within which one must show up in person.

I know this service was stopped in about March(?) when they were extra busy and supposedly the person handling them left, but I was never aware of the fact that they weren't allowed for people living locally. As I said, I did it several times by post and I live right in town. When I went to immigration in late July for an exit visa I noticed that they were processing 90 day by post and they did tell me that this service was available again. It certainly looked that way. I'm due again this month so I'd appreciate up to date info too.

I know this service was stopped in about March(?) when they were extra busy and supposedly the person handling them left, but I was never aware of the fact that they weren't allowed for people living locally. As I said, I did it several times by post and I live right in town. When I went to immigration in late July for an exit visa I noticed that they were processing 90 day by post and they did tell me that this service was available again. It certainly looked that way. I'm due again this month so I'd appreciate up to date info too.

Since you live in town, will you volunteer to go there personally and get a substantive answer from a senior officer to post on TV Chiang Mai? As you know, now it is really a snap to get one done personally at the office if you are mobile, but it would be very helpful to get an accurate fix on mailing reports for those who really have trouble getting there. Will you do that? If willing, then many thanks! I have been too forgetful to do it!

Since you live in town, will you volunteer to go there personally and get a substantive answer from a senior officer to post on TV Chiang Mai? As you know, now it is really a snap to get one done personally at the office if you are mobile, but it would be very helpful to get an accurate fix on mailing reports for those who really have trouble getting there. Will you do that? If willing, then many thanks! I have been too forgetful to do it!

No. Not only am I lazy but I'm also severely lacking in a sense of community spirit. I am honest though, and fully aware of my faults.
  • Like 1

I did my 90 day report by mail about a couple of weeks ago, sent it on Tuesday, and it arrived back on Friday same week. Recently it has been a lot faster than before, I have been doing it this way consistently for few years with no problems.

Good result, but please inform us which immigration office you are referring to, it is Chiang Mai immigration ?

if so where do you live, Chaing Mai City, or around the regions, please let us know.

Edited by personchester

I did my 90 day report by mail about a couple of weeks ago, sent it on Tuesday, and it arrived back on Friday same week. Recently it has been a lot faster than before, I have been doing it this way consistently for few years with no problems.

Good result, but please inform us which immigration office you are referring to, it is Chiang Mai immigration ?

if so where do you live, Chaing Mai City, or around the regions, please let us know.

I phoned Chiang Mai immigration today, the 90 days report for those living in the Chiang Mai "City" can be done via postage again.

Edited by personchester

"At my first visit after the stoppage I asked the counter officer about it. he confirmed it, but did not give the reason for it, I think it is too much postage hassle for them".

Yep, the thought of them putting the form in a supplied SAE and lobbing it in the 'out' tray, brings tears to my eyes.

​No-one should be subjected to that kind of manual labor.

I phoned Chiang Mai immigration today, the 90 days report for those living in the Chiang Mai "City" can be done via postage again.

Thanks for that! Music to my ears. I rate having to go to C.M. Immigration at any time whatsoever up there with having a colonoscopy!

• Like 1

I phone CMI and no-one answers.....are you sure it wasn't the cleaner? biggrin.png

Did you get the name of the person that told you?

If you have moved to Chiang Mai you should file a change of address form, TM28, showing that you are now living in their area, Then you do your 90 day reports there adhering to whatever policies that they have in place at that time. Mail or not to mail is up to them!

Edited by wayned

They may or they may not.

I have followed this on Thai Visa for a couple of years now and heard posters say no problem then I would hear only if you live far away then I would hear they don't do it at all and give no notification of the fact that the service has stopped.

All this on the Chiang Mai office. Maybe they are maybe they aren't there is no guarantee. Perhaps if you are living at a distance you might want to consider trying the mail real early to give your self time to go in if they don't I believe you can file 15 days early and 7 days late with no penalty. That should give you enough time to find out.

Perhaps some one who has used the service successfully in the past can tell us the time span from mailing to receiving.

I phone CMI and no-one answers.....are you sure it wasn't the cleaner? biggrin.png

Your second sentence (above) is a bit silly, it requires no reply.

I believe you can file 15 days early and 7 days late with no penalty. That should give you enough time to find out.

Not for mail in, there is no 7 day after allowed. From immigration web site.

Notice :

- Your registered mail must be sent to the Immigration office at least 15 days before the due date of notification.

- Your new form will be stamped as of the expiration date of your old receipt.

- Please keep your receipt of your registered mail in case of lost mail.

- Your document can not be processed if you have passed the 90 days limit. ( You must come to the nearest immigration office or Immigration Division 1 in person to pay fine 2,000 Baht)

- Waiting for reply mail over 1 month, please contact Immigration Office with your registered mail receipt.

I believe you can file 15 days early and 7 days late with no penalty. That should give you enough time to find out.

Not for mail in, there is no 7 day after allowed. From immigration web site.

Notice :

- Your registered mail must be sent to the Immigration office at least 15 days before the due date of notification.

- Your new form will be stamped as of the expiration date of your old receipt.

- Please keep your receipt of your registered mail in case of lost mail.

- Your document can not be processed if you have passed the 90 days limit. ( You must come to the nearest immigration office or Immigration Division 1 in person to pay fine 2,000 Baht)

- Waiting for reply mail over 1 month, please contact Immigration Office with your registered mail receipt.

Seems like it would still be a reasonable time for a return. If it does not come back you are still allowed the free 7 day late in person. Send it 16 days early and see what happens.

Surely some one out there would know if that is a sufficient time period to file and get the returned conformation. I mean some one with experience with the mail in service.

Really........I always ask who I am speaking to.....are you afraid to ask?

I want to know where the 'reliable' information is coming from.

• Like 1

Likewise, I always ask who I am speaking with. Basic business protocol.

• Like 1

Did you two read the post no one answered the phone.giggle.gif

How did you expect to ask a ringing tone for it's name. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Not sure if I would call immigration and ask for "reliable' information"clap2.gif

Google it.whistling.gif

This is not a business matter, nor general matter, phone callers are only interested in the business reply outline, and not in the name of the phone talker.

But you can do so if you want, it is a private matter.