Air India to Bangkok

CaptainPeacock

Hey guys, I know there is an old thread about Air India, however I'm here in the UK looking to buy my return ticket to BKK, and can an incredible deal with air India, leaving UK first week November returning July 2014...ONLY £435.00! Qatar & Etihad are around £560.00

So done a Google review search and came here, has anyone used this airline recently..? Have they improved?
BTW, its been a great summer here in England, but CAN'T wait to return to my winter paradise...guitar.gif

I had no problems with Air India a few years ago coming through Delhi (new terminal completed a few years ago)

Most of the horror stories come from people changing planes in Mumbai.

I liked the curries (other choices available) and usually two alcoholic drinks served at the same time if you wanted.

One downside were strict security checks which involved a bit of waiting, and also the waiting to get new boarding passes for onward travel in Delhi.

I thought Air India was excellent value for money. Made two trips to the UK with them.

I visit India a lot (on business, not from choice) and fly Air India and Indian Airlines (the domestic branch of AI) fairly regularly.

AI themselves are not too bad (and the prices cannot be surpassed) it's the airports (someone mentioned Mumbai as bad, you should try Kolkatta [the original Black-Hole]) that bring the travel experience down to a new low sad.png

The only real negative was the in-flight entertainment, seat-back TVs worked well (and had the biggest screens I've seen in Economy) but the English content available is extremely limited, flying Mumbai - Frankfurt was the first time I've watched all 3 1/2 hours of Ben-Hur (1959) all the way through in a single sitting. Take your iPad and an external battery.

If you're on a budget, and don't mind curry (do try the veggie option) you'll be fine.

IMPORTANT NOTE If flying with small children I would avoid AI, my two grand-daughters came over in 2012 via Mumbai, no non-curry food options available for them (they took pizza on the return flight).

Air India is ok for sure. Jet Airways also offer these cheap deals too, but I do find Jet Airways service a little lack luster compared too Air India.

But given the price and if you have the time and dont mind the stopover then its all ok.

Most complants about indian airlines and airports generally are about the conditions there and your fellow indian passengers.

The fleet of aircraft sometimes look very worn as if they have seen 30 years of service. But In reality there are every few aircraft of this age.

The thing with indian transportation is it is well used and the volume of traffic it greatly enhances the wear and tear of the equipment. What looks very tired in india may only be 2 years old.

As for your fellow passengers.

Indians appear on the outside to be quite chaotic when travelling its just there way. With 1.3 bil population then im affraid its every man for himself / woman herself.

Airports are okay in general but as previous post says. Can be quite strict with the regulations.

They learn this off the british more than 60 years ago most things are still made in paper form and made out in triplicate.

If you have never been to india before or you never had any experience of Indians then you maybe in for a bit of a shock.

Best advise is just it all wash over you and remember that price of @ £500 you paid.

Thanks for the input guys.

I called a few travel agents today, ISN'T it amazing that their websites state...Qatar & Etihad at around £560.00 but when you call to book these flights the prices are £650!
Right now you can get BA for £670.

In regards to AI, one of the travel company's I spoke to, would NOT even sell tickets for that airline!
I'm surprised at 'dogetdog' comment about Jet Airways..."but I do find Jet Airways service a little lack luster compared too Air India." but then I haven't travelled with AI...Yetxhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png
I have flown Jet Airways 3 times on the trot before last trip (Etihad) and must say they were EXCELLENT, yeah problem is the transit bit in India...NIGHTMARE!shock1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Q3XOm0fuQs.png

Ah well, I'll keep searching, BTW if anyone knows of any travel agents deals going please post. TIA.

You get what you pay for. I know of someone to fly Royal Jordanian recently and second leg of outbound flight delayed for twenty hours. A pint of beer available airside at £10. No offer of hotel accommodation and he ultimately saved a grand total of £100 on a return flight compared to direct.

You get what you pay for. I know of someone to fly Royal Jordanian recently and second leg of outbound flight delayed for twenty hours. A pint of beer available airside at £10. No offer of hotel accommodation and he ultimately saved a grand total of £100 on a return flight compared to direct.

Ah Royal Jordanian I've heard mixed reviews, though they do have a new fleet of aircraft now.

The other thing is the person who went through this should of requested a hotel, because I'm sure thats the law after 12hrs of delay...

Get your friend to claim Compensation.

R J Sometimes do have some very good deals especially over the peek period of dec - jan.

Did see last season as low as €500 rtn. That was from brussels.

As an airline goes they are ok customer wise and yes they have/going through a period of updating their fleet.

Biggest problem with this route it requires a stop over in Aman.

From what I have research in the past this lay over can be anything from 6 hrs to about 13 hours. (This may vary have not seen their winter schedule 2013/2014)

For those who have never been to jordan before, Aman airport (was) at best could only be described as basic, but this might be all in the past.

This year a brand new terminal was opening. My last trip to Aman was in October 2012. I have no idea what the new terminal is like so far.

As anyone arrived/departed from the new one yet?

It has to be better than the old terminal thats for sure, but could one be comfortable their for say 6 hours??

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

R J Sometimes do have some very good deals especially over the peek period of dec - jan.

Did see last season as low as €500 rtn. That was from brussels.

As an airline goes they are ok customer wise and yes they have/going through a period of updating their fleet.

Biggest problem with this route it requires a stop over in Aman.

From what I have research in the past this lay over can be anything from 6 hrs to about 13 hours. (This may vary have not seen their winter schedule 2013/2014)

For those who have never been to jordan before, Aman airport (was) at best could only be described as basic, but this might be all in the past.

This year a brand new terminal was opening. My last trip to Aman was in October 2012. I have no idea what the new terminal is like so far.

As anyone arrived/departed from the new one yet?

It has to be better than the old terminal thats for sure, but could one be comfortable their for say 6 hours??

The new airport is fine, everything you need for a few hours layover, great kebab shop, bars, smoking rooms, starbucks (if you like that kind of thing), not cheap but then nor is DXB, AUH, etc.

That is good news for Aman and for people looking for indirect flight's.

Lets hope they make some of those good deals as I have seen in the past.

As for the cost of things from within an airport.... Name me an airport that doesn't charge the earth for food, drinks etc..

I have travelled on both Jet Airways and Air India to BKK. Jet Airways has the nicer fleet. The choice of meals is the same for both BKK-DEL or BOM and from DEL or BOM to LHR. Air India adds monosodiumglutamate to its food which leaves one very thirsty, so drink plenty of water before you disembark. On both Jet Airways and Air India, the food is Indian, as one might expect.

The advantage of Air India is its baggage allowance - 30 kgs for economy.

As for changing 'planes in India, BOM can be a bit of a zoo, but DEL seems better organised. The terminal at DEL is much nicer than BOM.

As for in-flight entertainment, I take a tablet and watch films or read magazines on that.

If you prefer a direct flight, Eva Air often has offers. Modern fleet, good food. The seats on a 777 are very hard after a few hours.

Hope that this helps with your choice.

555 - just checked Gulf Air for Economy booking (r/t) from LHR to BKK. Airfare is only 200 GBPs, but the taxes and surcharges are a shade under 331 !

Quote details 1 Adult Fare 200.00
lowest_fare_guaranteed.gifTaxes and surcharges 330.95
Total
GBP 530.95
Display in another currency

I certainly hope Air India has improved. I haven't flown in them since '05 (Kabul - Delhi - Bangkok). The airport in Delhi sucked - the roof was actually sagging in the check-in area and missing all manner of tiles where they'd been working on lights or electrics or something and just never replaced the tiles (or they fell off and were never replaced. I also counted no less than 4 different types of armed security patrolling the airport, some armed with ancient SMGs that were obsolete (in most places) 20+ years previously.

And a scam as well. After you check in and your bag(s) head off on the conveyor into a closed off section, you had to go through a security check where they looked at your passport and boarding pass, then directed you into the room that the conveyor belt went through. You then had to identify your bag (and tip the guy in there) so that he'd actually put it back on the conveyor belt (judging by the large amount of luggage left on the floor on the far side of the room, I'm guessing a lot of people didn't tip him and their luggage probably didn't make it onto their flight).

One of the biggest laughs was the passengers they had seated in the stewardess's "jump seats" (those little fold-up seats that they used to have for the stewardess's to sit in during take-offs and landings). They face backwards, have no arm-rests, trays or anything and off course, don't recline. Very uncomfortable. Maybe they were off-duty airline staff getting a free ride or something. Couldn't imagine paying passengers being put in those seats.

But the worst part was, I reconfirmed my return flight 2 days in advance as suggested by the airline. When I arrived (early) at the airport I was asked to stand off to the side (by the "business class" check-in). I thought maybe I was getting upgraded. I frikken waited until the very end when they started closing the check-in counters and asked what was going on. They THEN informed me that the flight was full and (basically) too bad, so sad !

<deleted> ?!?! I had a CONFIRMED ticket, but they told me that they had put me on the wait-list when I arrived at the airport !! Not impressed in the least. I had a connecting flight from Delhi to Kabul to get back to work the next day (missed that of course) and ended up having to jump through hoops to get re-booked and out 3 days later (and of course, 3 days of over-stay).

From then on, every trip has been through Dubai, using Thai, Emirates or Gulf. I'd rather pay a little more than put up with that crap again.

Edited by Kerryd

Flew Air India to BKK to Heathrow via Mumbai (7 hour layover) on the 10th April this year - booked a one way ticket direct from the Air India website in February and paid TB18,740 converted by my debit card people to GBP417.05

Not a bad deal I thought smile.png

NEVER AGAIN - the flights were OK, the food was fine and the trolly dollies smiles and poured me three large whiskies but they didn't have the Aviator watch I wanted to buy onboard sad.png
The stopover at Sahar Airport Mumbai was a nightmare - transit passengers must have walked 5 miles through checkpoint after checkpoint - baggage was X-rayed over and over again, my computer, boarding pass and passport were examined again and again by airport staff and military personel so many time I lost count.
I was glad I hadn't bought a return ticket.

Returned to Thailand on EVA Air Non Stop on the 5th July - booked 22nd June with lastminute.com GBP501.75
Believe me the extra GBP85 quid was money well spent avoiding 7 hours at Sahar Airport Mumbai
Hope this helps smile.png

If you can get a decent price, Emirates is much better than AI or Jet - and the transit experience is very good. EK uses Airbus A380s on the route(s). The problem is that even with six flights a day from Dubai, EK are often full. As they operate a two fare class system in all cabinns (Saver and the mre expensive Flex), the cheaper fares need to be booked well in advance - and are unlikely to be available at times of high demand (Xmas/New Year and Easter for example.).

I fly EK a lot - and the latest flight I could get in December was the 11th - long hols thgis year!

Thanks for the input guys.

I called a few travel agents today, ISN'T it amazing that their websites state...Qatar & Etihad at around £560.00 but when you call to book these flights the prices are £650!
Right now you can get BA for £670.

In regards to AI, one of the travel company's I spoke to, would NOT even sell tickets for that airline!
I'm surprised at 'dogetdog' comment about Jet Airways..."but I do find Jet Airways service a little lack luster compared too Air India." but then I haven't travelled with AI...Yetxhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png
I have flown Jet Airways 3 times on the trot before last trip (Etihad) and must say they were EXCELLENT, yeah problem is the transit bit in India...NIGHTMARE!shock1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Q3XOm0fuQs.png

Ah well, I'll keep searching, BTW if anyone knows of any travel agents deals going please post. TIA.

Will NEVER use Air India or Jet Airways again. I have been 'denied boarding' from both because of over booked flights when I had confirmed ticket and they then do not offer any kind compensation.

I always use Emirates now, they are a good airline and quite often offer very competitive prices (plus I have now reached the dizzy heights of silver member which gets me lounge access in Dubai).

The stopover at Sahar Airport Mumbai was a nightmare - transit passengers must have walked 5 miles through checkpoint after checkpoint - baggage was X-rayed over and over again, my computer, boarding pass and passport were examined again and again by airport staff and military personel so many time I lost count.

I was glad I hadn't bought a return ticket.

Ha! That so reminded me of my experiences at Kolkatta airport last decade ... until I snapped at them why we are checked again & again?! Do they not trust the system/security areas they created? ... Indian specialty that.

Why not look at Travel Agent forum sponsors MTT and send them an e with dates ex UK, I know they sell ex UK and u can pay in GBP too!!

Hey Robbie ~ can you kindly supply a link to the above as I can't find it!

At the moment it looks like flying with BA, theres a deal @£670 RETURN

This deal is cos...I can fly out anytime last 2 weeks in November, return anytime first 2 weeks July2014.

However, I do NOT like this airline!

I have flown BA many times because of biz (free), compared to Asian/Oriental Airlines, these western airlines have NO idea!

Still there maybe a Nice Smiling female Thai trolley dolly on board...that will keep me SANE during the long flight...LOL!giggle.gif

All airlines are swings and roundabouts. I have been wary of AI since I changed planes at Delhi 3yrs ago and my baggage didn't. Took 10 days to get it. I was in business class and the A321cabin was very dirty. The in-seat food tray had a thick black crust all the way round the edge where things had spilt and not been cleaned for weeks/months. On the way back, I got bitten more in 3hrs at Bombay airport than I ever had in 30 days in Thailand.

On the other hand, the staff were lovely, everything was interesting and different and there was a fleet of ancient Afganistani 727 cargo planes on the Delhi tarmac.

A quick search of Skyscanner shows plenty of Qatar flights from Heathrow to Bangkok and back with 1-2 hour stops each way for £430-460 on many days in November, returning late Jan/Feb. Why anyone would even pay £50 LESS to go with Air India as opposed to Qatar is beyond me.

A quick search of Skyscanner shows plenty of Qatar flights from Heathrow to Bangkok and back with 1-2 hour stops each way for £430-460 on many days in November, returning late Jan/Feb. Why anyone would even pay £50 LESS to go with Air India as opposed to Qatar is beyond me.

Trouble is when you go to ring them to confirm the price, WELL, well...it increases substantially...its marketing BS by these travel agents.

Yeah sure you can get a great deal if you return within 1 month, or even up to 3 months...however as soon as you get into 6+ month ticket it rockets, even if you fix the dates, i asked a travel agent this Q, he said its simply the airlines policy!

Anyway I've got a fab deal on BA, in fact NONE of the airlines that have a stop-over counld beat this price!xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKnWS1.p

I'm just hoping that there IS...will be ... a Nice Smiling female Thai trolley dolly on the flightbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png

For those Brits out there... today here in blighty its 19C and lovely warm sunshine, hope it lasts till mid November, then it can snow for all I care as I'll be back in bangers...NICEguitar.gif.pagespeed.ce.Rjd-vqhNlw.gif