Thailand urges UN to build consensus among members

webfact

UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY
Thailand urges UN to build consensus among members

Supalak Ganjanakhundee/The Nation

30215882-01_big.jpg
UN Photo

NEW YORK: -- Thailand has urged the United Nationsto put efforts to build consensus among 193 members in dealing with issues of security, development and human right concerns.

The top UN body Security Council in particular is too often paralyzed when action is most needed to tackle conflict and security matter such as the case of Syrian chemical weapon, said Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul In his address to the UNSG on Saturday.

"Overcoming deadlock and achieving consensus must be a central objective of council reform," he said, noting that unity and consensus are also needed on development.

All members need to make a final push on the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) to tackle poverty, hunger and uplift living of the people, he said.

The UN should give special emphasis to the needs of the most vulnerable countries, he said. "If we fail to do so, millions will be left behind, and all of us would be poorer for it.

Climate change is one of most challenges for the UN and it links to another important issue such as food security, he said. Members should help one another by sharing their experience and know-how to mitigate the impact of climate change, he said.

To provide an environment that facilitate unity and consensus, Thailand has proposed the international community to forge a new global partnership, which rests on a common agenda for action, he said.

The partnership involved like-minded states, the UN, regional organizations, civil society and other stakeholders, he said.

To fulfill the proposal, Thailand is applying for membership of the UN Security Council for the term 2017-2018 and in Human Right Council for the term of 2015-2017.

"We are keen to help build the bridges to connect all stakeholders into a more cohesive, action-oriented global partnership," Surapong said.

Thailand has already begun its work to build bridges not only within Asia but also to Africa and Latin America, he said.

"Our common future depends on our ability to come together to forge consensus on the new realities before us," he said.

Surapong has also offered to share lessons learned from the country’s universal health care coverage (UHC) scheme with other developing countries.

He explained how 300,000 households were saved from falling into poverty. Initiated 10 years ago by the former administration, Thailand has been implementing a programme that charges only $1 per doctor visit.

Even non-Thai nationals, especially migrant workers from neighbouring countries, also benefit from it.

"Those who benefit most from our model have been the poor and the vulnerable. By working to empower the most vulnerable among us, we ensure that development is more inclusive. We believe that the model should be adapted to other developing countries, and we are willing to share the lessons we learned from our experience."

Thailand’s health care programme is universal in its coverage of treatments ranging from chronic illnesses, chronic diseases to life saving surgeries.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-30

Thailand giving free advice to the UN.. talk about trying to go above their station!!

Thailand where human rights & true democracy are a joke!!

Ban Ki-moon might just have a word in her "shell like ear" next time they meet, to clip her wings & say when he needs Thailand's advice on any subject, he will ask her for it!!

All part of the PR and marketing of the Shin clan. Doesn't matter what crap he comes out with as Thai media will focus on him being there and addressing the whole assembly and giving them wonderful Thai advice. The uneducated masses will hold him in even more reverence. The man who defied the law to illegally issue a new passport to his criminal fugitive brother now lectures the UN. If the UN listen, well then he must be credible, honest and good........... mustn't he ??

Didn't Gadaafi, Saddam and other assorted dictators and nutters also address the UN at various times?

• Like 1

All part of the PR and marketing of the Shin clan. Doesn't matter what crap he comes out with as Thai media will focus on him being there and addressing the whole assembly and giving them wonderful Thai advice. The uneducated masses will hold him in even more reverence. The man who defied the law to illegally issue a new passport to his criminal fugitive brother now lectures the UN. If the UN listen, well then he must be credible, honest and good........... mustn't he ??

Didn't Gadaafi, Saddam and other assorted dictators and nutters also address the UN at various times?

You don't think it was just another headline do you?

Suapong, No. 1 Consensus Builder in Thailand!

"I have been building consensus all my life. I started when I was 4 years old, and never stopped. I eat and drink consensus. I sleep and dream consensus. Sometimes I even fart consensus. I am most known for hand-delivering a passport to a fugitive criminal, thus building consensus in all layers of Thai society. I am a consensus expert, you hear me, UN??!"

Nice glass in your profile pic!

He explained how 300,000 households were saved from falling into poverty. Initiated 10 years ago by the former administration, Thailand has been implementing a programme that charges only $1 per doctor visit.

Even non-Thai nationals, especially migrant workers from neighbouring countries, also benefit from it.

Does this mean I can use the health scheme as a non-Thai. What about the westerners that regularly are held hostage by hospitals that keep their passport until the bill is paid? Sounds like a little fibbing is going on.

Typical Thailand, a big mouth on others and urging others when by themselves they'd have far too much to clean up and change for a better.

Arrogant cannot be more arrogant.

And where is the Thai PM's big request in here? She's suppose to be the best in "logic" thinking. (according to her self-acknowledgement) Question for her; what's the logic behind being (one of) the most racist and human rights violating country, but urging others to improve on the same matter?

What? Sure! ;-)

Don't you just love Thailand telling the UN it needs to reform to overcome deadlock and achieve consensus ?

Not bad coming from a country where consensus means doing exactly as the government says and any dissenting view can result in a " see you in court " response.

Wrong.

It would result in, "maybe we allow your family visit you in jail after they pay enough money!"

Edited by Mitch99

"UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY

Thailand urges UN to build consensus among members"

That's hilarious. This guy must have brass ones bigger than King Kong to pull that speech off with a straight face. The only thing that could be funnier is if he believes the BS he was spouting.

"Typical Thailand, a big mouth on others and urging others when by themselves they'd have far too much to clean up and change for a better.

Arrogant cannot be more arrogant."

One of the best posts that had attracted the best and most intelligent responses!

Big Mouth? Arrogant?

Sit back and think.

Don't the world have enough and more of these stinking Big Mouth, Arrogant scum's that are causing all the huge destructions & suffering in this world today?

It is strange that no one know about that - I am sure Thailand is NOT the worst culprit.

Yep, people in glass houses should not throw stones!!!