Affordable health insurance.

harrry

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People extending their SS benefits pay on a monthly bases. As for private insurance if there is a mandatory government insurance, then the private insurance companies sell enhanced plans that cover private rooms things like that. In Canada there is government insurance, but lots of private insurance for extra coverage.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This raises an interesting specific point about Thai Social Security.

I'm guessing there are quite a few foreigners who have worked here on work permits and therefore been 'members' of the Thai Social Security system.

I was a member for well over two decades. When I retired I got a refund of most of the 'savings' I had built in the scheme and my last employer cancelled my

membership. The HR manager did ask if foreigners could continue the membership in terms of health benefits and was told 'no, it must be cancelled'. It seems this advice may have been wrong. Perhaps others are in the same position.

So this brings the question whether ex members can reinstate their membership.

I will ask my old company to check this point and I'll share any clear answers / information which comes up.

On the other hand, maybe other TV members already have a clear answer to this question. If so, please share.

The information you were given was absolutely wrong, you could have stayed under the health coverage by continuing to make payments.

Unfortunately once out of the system there is AFAIK no way to reinstate other than to again be employed. However you could call the SS office and explain what happened and see what they say. http://www.sso.go.th/wpr/eng/contactus.html

They're now issuing the 'Health Insurance' in Nang Rong, Buriram Province and surrounding hospitals. I got mine today after they phoned my missus requesting me to go and get. The thing I don't understand is that people have been quoting 2,800 Baht as the initial cost, 2,200 plus 600 Baht for the medical. Yeah I got that cost and also they charged me an extra 390 for the x-ray, 170 & 50 Baht for two blood tests. Is that correct? Thanks.

Edit. Only document I had to produce was my passport.

i paid 2,200 plus 600 for the medical which included,weight check,blood pressure,blood test,x-ray,doctor's advice and he took notes of my previous history and my medication.total 2,800bht.

i paid 2,200 plus 600 for the medical which included,weight check,blood pressure,blood test,x-ray,doctor's advice and he took notes of my previous history and my medication.total 2,800bht.

The woman in the office is a bit of a face loser, in that she refused me the 'Insurance' nearly 2 months ago saying it was for foreign workers only. Because she's now had her nose put out of joint she avoids talking to my wife. So basically my wife won't talk to her, leaving me 610 Baht out of pocket. whistling.gif

Today I went to Prachanukroh Hospital in Chiang Rai for stomach ulcer that has been nagging for a long time. I also wanted to test out my new insurance card. Paid total of Baht 1104.

Registration - 50 Baht

Drugs - 34 Baht

Laboratory - 800 Baht

X - Ray - 220 Baht.

Also made an appointment for upper Endoscopy in one month.

I am not complaining about the cost but little confused since the nurse at Chiang Rai 2 hospital told me I only need to pay 30 baht with insurance card.

Any ideas?

Today I went to Prachanukroh Hospital in Chiang Rai for stomach ulcer that has been nagging for a long time. I also wanted to test out my new insurance card. Paid total of Baht 1104.

Registration - 50 Baht

Drugs - 34 Baht

Laboratory - 800 Baht

X - Ray - 220 Baht.

Also made an appointment for upper Endoscopy in one month.

I am not complaining about the cost but little confused since the nurse at Chiang Rai 2 hospital told me I only need to pay 30 baht with insurance card.

Any ideas?

Did you show the card when you went to pay. THey know. It should not have cost you.

Yes I have.

I have used my card there with no problem at all. I cannot understand why you were charged if you showed your card when you were asked to pay.

I suggest going back and folllowing it up not just for the refund but as a service to all.

Aha. I didn't show my card when I paid for the bill. I only show it at the time of registration. I assumed my name would automatically be processed to the billing dept. I guess I should presented the card next time after the endoscopy procedure.

I was paying previously for all my treatment and medications and have been pleased with the service I have received there. When I got the card they were uncertain of what to do but ran around and found out for me when I went to the payment counter. One made a comment that he was glad I had the card as I spend a lot on medicine.

The woman in the office is a bit of a face loser, in that she refused me the 'Insurance' nearly 2 months ago saying it was for foreign workers only. Because she's now had her nose put out of joint she avoids talking to my wife. So basically my wife won't talk to her, leaving me 610 Baht out of pocket. whistling.gif

I'm now being refunded the 610 Baht. I asked how much I have to pay next year and was told 2,800 Baht being as the medical has to be done every year. We'll see in 12 months if they're correct.

its jack it used to be known as marharat 2 but they changed it to theparat.

Well I went to the Theparat hospital in Korat along with my Thai wife to ask about me getting the paid health insurance card ,once in side the hospital entrance we were told to go along to a help desk and inquire there. We sat at the desk in front of two hospital workers and my wife handed over the same information I had previously downloaded and printed out that was in the past shown to the administrator of my local hospital ( my post No. 418 ) . My wife then asked if her foreign husband could apply and pay for the health insurance card . The answer was no , not now as the scheme was now closed for any '' European '' applications , but still open for people who were working in Thailand from counties like Cambodia , Laos etc , . My wife then went over our past experiences when I applied for the paid health insurance card at my local government hospital , and the fact that there the hospital administrator did tell us that as I had a yellow house book and was all ready registered on their computer , there was no need for me to apply for the paid health insurance card as I would be entitled to the same free health cover as a Thai citizen , the reply from the people we sat in front of at the desk was, sorry but its up to that hospital on what they say . Just before we got up to leave my wife was told to ring the inquiry telephone number ( 1330 ) in a moths time just to see if any thing had changed with paid health insurance card scheme. So I'm back to square one , but I'm now wondering if its worth going to yet another government hospital in the Korat area just to see what they say , as TiT we all know the answers that are given can be wildly different in different places , or may be just forget the whole thing for now . sad.png

Edited by JackisBack

its jack it used to be known as marharat 2 but they changed it to theparat.

Well I went to the Theparat hospital in Korat along with my Thai wife to ask about me getting the paid health insurance card ,once in side the hospital entrance we were told to go along to a help desk and inquire there. We sat at the desk in front of two hospital workers and my wife handed over the same information I had previously downloaded and printed out that was in the past shown to the administrator of my local hospital ( my post No. 418 ) . My wife then asked if her foreign husband could apply and pay for the health insurance card . The answer was no , not now as the scheme was now closed for any '' European '' applications , but still open for people who were working in Thailand from counties like Cambodia , Laos etc , . My wife then went over our past experiences when I applied for the paid health insurance card at my local government hospital , and the fact that there the hospital administrator did tell us that as I had a yellow house book and was all ready registered on their computer , there was no need for me to apply for the paid health insurance card as I would be entitled to the same free health cover as a Thai citizen , the reply from the people we sat in front of at the desk was, sorry but its up to that hospital on what they say . Just before we got up to leave my wife was told to ring the inquiry telephone number ( 1330 ) in a moths time just to see if any thing had changed with paid health insurance card scheme. So I'm back to square one , but I'm now wondering if its worth going to yet another government hospital in the Korat area just to see what they say , as TiT we all know the answers that are given can be wildly different in different places , or may be just forget the whole thing for now . sad.png

you can try the other gov.hospice marharat the main one,when we first enquired they said no but that is quite a fair bit of time ago.i find with most things in thailand act quickly as they change the goal posts when they want.dont leave anything too long.

You could also try the Suranaree Military Hospital. It's a government, as well as a military, hospital. You could also ask your hospital that is refusing you to phone Nang Rong hospital in Buriram Province as they have just started issueing the Insurance Card. Up to a week ago they too were refusing to issue the card. So who/what got them to change their minds?

Edited by sinbin

Military hospitals do not issue the cards.

Several hospitals have put the issuance of these cards to non-migrant workers on hold, in some cases on the instructions of the MoPH in Bkk. While others are just starting to do it. TIT indeed...

Went today (13/12/2013) to the government Nopparat Hospital in Bangkok. After initial denials I asked my Thai speaking daughter to phone the government health hot line 1330. After speaking to them she gave the phone to the hospital staff. I was then given a Nopparat Hospital application form which had a box to fill in my Thai ID number from my YELLOW tabian bahn book with my name in it. The office wanted a copy of the yellow tabian bahn book and entered the details on their computer system and gave me a Nopparat Hospital card. I was told that I can now use the hospital under the 30-baht health scheme by showing them the hospital card + ID like the yellow tabian bahn book or a Thai driving licence (which I also have). In addition, I was told that Thais no longer require the 30-baht health scheme card but only have to show the hospital card + ID. If I want a 30-baht card, they said I should go to the government office.

It seems in Bangkok at least that the 1330 call centre and Nopparat hospital have no knowledge about the 2,000 baht health scheme for foreigners.

• 4 weeks later...

This week I had my first doctors appointment under the health plan, and everything was covered by the issurance, even all my medication. I have all ways gone to Thai hospitals in my 14 years in Thailand.

Always great treatment, but now it is affordable., Thank you so very much, Thailand!

Cheers

I can only go to one hospital in Lat Yao, It is my understanding that I can only receive treatment at that hospital. If I seek treatment at another hospital it is paid out of my pocket, I can receive treatment under the 30 baht plan at other hospital if it has been approved and a formal referral made by my hopital!

My MIL lives in Bangkok and must come home for her hospital appointments at our local hospital, she would not be covered by the 30 baht plan in a Bangkok hospital! Military hospitals are not in the 30 baht plan and only certain governments hospitals are autorized in each provence,

I paid 2000 baht for a year of insurance and next year I will also be required to make an additional payment of 2000 baht, or the price may be increased next year, whatever I will pay it. The medical examination was 600 baht and you MUST show your card when paying, I was to be charged my regular appointment payment ,when I showed my card and they changed all the info into the computer and charged me 30 baht!

Cheers

Since I have got my card I have not had to pay anything, not even ฿30. Last week I went to my local hospital to see about a cataract operation on my left eye. They do not do the operation, but they gave me the paperwork and referred me to the provincial hospital. I will go this week or next, hopefully it will be covered.

Since I have got my card I have not had to pay anything, not even ฿30. Last week I went to my local hospital to see about a cataract operation on my left eye. They do not do the operation, but they gave me the paperwork and referred me to the provincial hospital. I will go this week or next, hopefully it will be covered.

Please let us know how you get on because I also need Cataract surgery.

Many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, I went to Kalasin Hospital last week and have an appointment in Match for a cataract operation. There was no charge last week and as far as I can tell the insurance will cover it. I'll report after the operation.

So anybody got the card in Bangkok yet? :)

My research says that Lerdsin Hospital and the one by Victory monument would be the 2 government hospitals that issue the cards. Meanwhile so far seems only to neighbor countries foreigners?

Cheers!

I'm still hearing reports of the card being issued in Chiang Rai, but nothing restarted yet in Chiang Mai. So sad, so many elderly foreigners in Chiang Mai who can't buy health insurance at all.

Edited by NancyL

Following booklet from the department of public health clearly states on page 1 and page 7 : Health card for uninsured foreigners in English

Whether it was intended for Burmese, Laotion, Cambodian or "farangs" is unimportant as long as you can benefit from it.

Information booklet - Department of Public Health

http://www.tro.moph..../1.3.1board.pdf

Don't rely on google translations. They are good for single words or simple short sentences but notoriously inadequate for complex pages.

Anyway a neighbour of mine ( German) has applied for it at Banglamung hospital and now has the card.

Yermanee wai.gif

To my reading, page 1 reads more like " system to check and guarantee the health and well-being of long-staying workers."

But my Thai reading abilities are limited, so I am checking this in the Thai language forum where people with higher skills in reading Thai than I can comment.

Of course, the very fact that it is difficult to agree on the meaning of the terms used, is why different hospitals have different interpretations.

The document EXPLICITLY says EVERY uninsured foreigner. It doesn't say he/she needs to be a worker or be married.

This is the link to the full official document:

http://203.157.12.21/cmshigthai/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/fwf2800.pdf

ps. I can read Thai.

Edited by kriswillems

Also, the document does NOT say it needs to be foreigner from a neighboring country.

My opinion: it's a good evolution, especially for the less rich or poor foreigners living here, but this is not an alternative for the insurance you would have in the West.

Edited by kriswillems