Affordable health insurance.

harrry

Meanwhile, both good and bad news out of Bangkok this afternoon.

Today, my wife ended up speaking on the telephone with both the NHSO hotline staff, and later staff at the MOPH. And in both places, the people she talked with told her that non-working, non-SSO farangs ought to be able to sign up for the government medical coverage under this new program. And my wife was very clear that a) the husband she was inquiring for was a westerner and b] non-working. That's the good news.

The bad news is, the NHSO hotline staff pointed my wife in the direction of Lerdsin (near the river on Silom Road) and Rajavithi (near Victory Monument) hospitals in BKK. But when she contacted them by telephone, they both told her that they would only enroll neighboring country migrants, not western country farangs.

My wife has a follow-up contact to speak with again at MOPH, but wasn't able to get back to them later this afternoon. So she'll try when she has a bit more free time at work.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if anyone has contacted the reporter who wrote that newspaper article about registering in Udon for them to follow-up about why the hospital stopped enrolling non-migrant worker foreigners, will foreigners who received the cards still receive care, what happens when they want to re-enroll next year and when will they accept more new applications?

I went to Fang Hospital this morning and received my "Health Card for Foreigners" in just over 1 hour. They knew exactly what I was referring to and there were no problems at all - other than that I had to follow my wife like a little lamb while she negotiated a system which was utterly incomprehensible to me.

The form was in Thai and they required it to be completed in Thai. My "health check" consisted of giving urine and blood samples and a chest x-ray. At no time did I see a doctor or see any results of these tests nor was I questioned about any medical history.

It was noticeable that I was put at the head of the queue in every instance - ahead of the Burmese people that is - hardly fair but I didn't complain.

As expected, I was charged 2800B. All documentation, including my card was headed "Ministry of Health" - no reference to the hospital except on the bottom of the card that I was issued with.

This was posted on Udon Map Today!!....

I received my insurance card today. It covers accidents, health care costs including high-cost medical, pre-existing conditions a foreigner may have brought from his home country, and costs incurred at a different hospital if treatment is needed there.

I was told by an admin person on the 5th floor that I was lucky as I was one of the last (maybe the last one) farangs that would be issued the card. This was verified by the man at the last "station" who actually handed me the card.IMPORTANT: he told my wife this was NOT a nation-wide stoppage but only at Udon Hospital. Perhaps each hospital has a "quota" for farang; I don't know.

Edited by Tafia

This is what I have been searching for. Found through some company in China for foreigners living in Asia a list of health Insurance....their minimum charge is 800 dollars a month.

Then I find this thread..and am thrilled. Now how to go about it....My closest hospital is Paolo Memorial hospital close to Chatuchuk market Bangkok but it is a lower form of Private....I have been going there since 5 years so perhaps thats where I should ask about health insurance.

Paolo is a private hospital and chain...and thus wouldn't have any connection with this government health program.

Stay tuned... We're still trying to figure out what, if any, government hospitals in the BKK area are willing to register westerners under this program.

Apart from this Thai government initiative, there are a variety of Thai and international private health insurance plans available to westerners here...with the pricing depending on the plan selected and age of applicant, and what deductibles one selects, and whether outpatient cover is desired in addition to inpatient cover.

LMG Health and BUPA are two of the often used farang insurers here. Good private coverage can be had for under $100 per month...again, depending on the variables I listed above.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I went to Fang Hospital this morning and received my "Health Card for Foreigners" in just over 1 hour. They knew exactly what I was referring to and there were no problems at all - other than that I had to follow my wife like a little lamb while she negotiated a system which was utterly incomprehensible to me.

The form was in Thai and they required it to be completed in Thai. My "health check" consisted of giving urine and blood samples and a chest x-ray. At no time did I see a doctor or see any results of these tests nor was I questioned about any medical history.

It was noticeable that I was put at the head of the queue in every instance - ahead of the Burmese people that is - hardly fair but I didn't complain.

As expected, I was charged 2800B. All documentation, including my card was headed "Ministry of Health" - no reference to the hospital except on the bottom of the card that I was issued with.

This procedure and tests mirror the recent experience of people who have enrolled at Chiang Mai's Nakorn Ping. However, a few staff members speak English, so it can be a little less incomprehensible here.

I notice signs, in Thai of course, at various counters and windows that say that people over age 70 or those who are handicapped don't have to wait in the queue. Maybe being a hopeless foreigner is considered a handicap!

Meanwhile, both good and bad news out of Bangkok this afternoon.

Today, my wife ended up speaking on the telephone with both the NHSO hotline staff, and later staff at the MOPH. And in both places, the people she talked with told her that non-working, non-SSO farangs ought to be able to sign up for the government medical coverage under this new program. And my wife was very clear that a) the husband she was inquiring for was a westerner and b] non-working. That's the good news.

The bad news is, the NHSO hotline staff pointed my wife in the direction of Lerdsin (near the river on Silom Road) and Rajavithi (near Victory Monument) hospitals in BKK. But when she contacted them by telephone, they both told her that they would only enroll neighboring country migrants, not western country farangs.

My wife has a follow-up contact to speak with again at MOPH, but wasn't able to get back to them later this afternoon. So she'll try when she has a bit more free time at work.

FWIW, as a follow-up to my post here above, my wife did get back in touch with her contact at the Health Insurance Group at the Ministry of Public Health, and her contact asked us to write them a memo explaining our difficulties in finding anyplace in BKK willing to accept our application for the government's health card.

I wrote that memo and faxed it to HIG today, per their request. In the memo, I put forth a decent argument for why farangs should be included and ended the memo by asking MOPH to make the issue of farang eligibility clear, if in fact that's their intention. I found it rather surprising to be a farang being asked by anyone in the Thai government to contribute input or experience on any matter of policy. But I wasn't going to pass on the invitation for sure.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Some new info about the health scheme:

http://udon-news.com/en/news/update-on-health-insurance-important-info-regarding-insurance-for-foreigners

Update on health insurance; important info regarding insurance for foreigners

24.10.2013 - 13:07

After the confusion surrounding the details about the government health insurance for foreigners, triggered by the decision of Udon Thani Hospital to refuse any new applicants, today we have phoned the insurance company in Bangkok.The core statement of the insurance company was that there is no restriction on the numbers or nationality of the applicants, yet! For more details please read the article on health insurance in Udon News.

Perhaps a bit of caution needed here. It seems that a department in the MoPH, the Health Insurance Group, has become a company called HIG THAI. No harm in telephoning of course.

http://fwf.cfo.in.th/

Some new info about the health scheme:

http://udon-news.com/en/news/update-on-health-insurance-important-info-regarding-insurance-for-foreigners

Update on health insurance; important info regarding insurance for foreigners

24.10.2013 - 13:07

After the confusion surrounding the details about the government health insurance for foreigners, triggered by the decision of Udon Thani Hospital to refuse any new applicants, today we have phoned the insurance company in Bangkok.The core statement of the insurance company was that there is no restriction on the numbers or nationality of the applicants, yet! For more details please read the article on health insurance in Udon News.

Edited by citizen33

This was posted on Udon Map Today!!....

I received my insurance card today. It covers accidents, health care costs including high-cost medical, pre-existing conditions a foreigner may have brought from his home country, and costs incurred at a different hospital if treatment is needed there.

I was told by an admin person on the 5th floor that I was lucky as I was one of the last (maybe the last one) farangs that would be issued the card. This was verified by the man at the last "station" who actually handed me the card.IMPORTANT: he told my wife this was NOT a nation-wide stoppage but only at Udon Hospital. Perhaps each hospital has a "quota" for farang; I don't know.

Taking a wild guess then, it sounds like the Udon hospital may have funding issues and the moratorium is a result of that.

Paolo is a private hospital and chain...and thus wouldn't have any connection with this government health program.

Stay tuned... We're still trying to figure out what, if any, government hospitals in the BKK area are willing to register westerners under this program.

Apart from this Thai government initiative, there are a variety of Thai and international private health insurance plans available to westerners here...with the pricing depending on the plan selected and age of applicant, and what deductibles one selects, and whether outpatient cover is desired in addition to inpatient cover.

LMG Health and BUPA are two of the often used farang insurers here. Good private coverage can be had for under $100 per month...again, depending on the variables I listed above.

Perhaps not.

Paolo was my nominated hospital for SSI purposes a few years back. Some private hospitals do participate for SSI,so it may be worth asking.

For those who understand Thai language fluently here's a link to a copy of a video conference in which the details of the health card scheme were explained to the administrative officers of all provinces. The whole video takes almost two hours.

Video

The video is in an unusual format so to be able to watch it the trueplayer should be installed.

trueplayer

Both links are freely available on the website of higthai

Perhaps not.

Paolo was my nominated hospital for SSI purposes a few years back. Some private hospitals do participate for SSI,so it may be worth asking.

Yes, there are some private hospitals among the eligible list for working farangs who are covered by the government's SSI program.

But thus far, I don't believe anyone's found ANY hospital in Bangkok as yet, government or private, that's willing to register farangs under the "con dtaang daao" program, which is different and separate from the SSI program. And I don't think we've heard of any private hospitals doing so anywhere upcountry.

So, while I tend to never say never, I also wouldn't be holding my breath waiting to see Paolo start registering non-employed farangs under the "con dtaang daao" program.

I went Lerdsin Hospital in Bangkok today. They knew the card, but would only issue to neighboring countries foreigners - and have so far not issued to any other nationalities.

They were very friendly and I talked with multiple staff there - so do believe I got the (current) true answer from them. Cheers!

I went Lerdsin Hospital in Bangkok today. They knew the card, but would only issue to neighboring countries foreigners - and have so far not issued to any other nationalities.

They were very friendly and I talked with multiple staff there - so do believe I got the (current) true answer from them. Cheers!

That's too bad. Thanks for reporting.

I have not read through all 13 pages of posters, so I excuse if this information has already been given.

I live at Samui and checked with the public hospital at Nathon about “Health Card For Foreigners”. The kind lady there said, that they were not yet ready, but should have an internal meeting about the subject in the near future, and that I can come back and ask in a couple of month. She suggested I had a private insurance, »much better«, she said.

A friend of mine gave me this information today with a link to Udan-News.com. I will not post the link, as it may be in conflict with the link-rules of ThaiVisa, but if you are interested, you can do a search on “en/law/health-insurance-for-foreigners”.

The page in question has the same information and advice posted at the beginning of this thread (bring yellow book or bring spouse, marriage documents, and blue house book if married to a Thai), and an update yesterday (25th October, 2013) stating that »With immediate effect all foreigners living in Udon Thani including farangs can sign up for the Health Card For Foreigners scheme at Udon Hospital at Nong Prajak again.«

Furthermore it says:

»We have today - 24th October 2013 - received an interesting comment, then phoned the insurance company in Bangkok.

The insurance company is the HIGTHAI - www.higthai.org. We have requested clarification from the company about for whom the insurance is intended. We were told that the insurance was designed for foreigners, regardless of their nationality, thus also for farangs!

Furthermore, we asked whether hospitals would have a quota, which would limit the intake of insured. They told us that there were no limits as to numbers.

Our contact has allowed us to publish their phone number in this article. If applicants are rejected at the hospital, then they could ask the hospital staff to ring this number; 025 901 580, and clarify with HIGTHAI that they should be entitled to apply.«

If any TV-members have some experience with this, it may be advisable to post it.

Tks khunPer for posting about Samui - was just about to ask about Samui as I really need this, as I have no cover at all.

I started reading this post fm day 1 and followed for a few pages - just came back to it & now 13 pages ! ... so you saved me a lot of reading.

(anybody know off hand, if anything about Samui was posted previously in here & approx what page # ?)

Seems like Samui (as usual) is a bit slow catching up with the rest of the nation.

"in a couple of month" ... does not sound good, but at least they knew something about it and are hopefully having a meeting soon.

as far as ... "She suggested I had a private insurance, »much better«, she said." ... thats to be expected I s'pose (most thais think we are all well off, or simply unaware of the high cost of private insurance)

I will try sending a thai to do some inquiries, as is the usual here, when a non-thai inquires about anything, you get the usual run-around or a straight-out ... "sorry, no can do" smile.png

Anyone else in Samui get some updates, please do post (I'll do like-wise) tks & cheers lads.

Edited by buzz

After my visit to Lerdsin hospital Bangkok, where I did not get the card (ref. previous post they knew the card, so far only issued to neighboring countries) I forgot to mention that the friendly staff there suggested I try Siriraj Hospital (by Victory monument) as "maybe they might do". If anybody gives/have given that a shot please update us here! Cheers!

Buzz, I have read the thread from the begining and have not seen any other posts about Samui. So far Kalasin Province seems to be one province up to date on this scheme. Confirmrd hospitals giving the card are Kuchinarai, and Khao Wong, and I have heard reliable reports that Kalasin Hospital is also.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I just came back from registering under the Thai 30 baht scheme in Lat Yao Hospital in Nakhon Sawan Provence as a Farang. The process took the better part of the morning which included the paperwork

(copies of: the picture page 'passport" The house registration card and my wife's I D card),

a chest x-ray, blood and urine test and doctor's consultation. A 2,200 baht payment for a year coverage of the Insurance, 600 baht for the cost of the complete medical examination.

I was informed I must undergo another yearly exam before paying for the next years insurance. Total Cost 2,800 baht,was given a certificate to show at my next hospital visit and it will take about a month to be issue the Hospital card from Bangkok.

Cheers:smile.png

Edited by kikoman

Thanks Harry.

Can you see if there is an upper age limit? I could not get health insurance when I worked at KKU because I was over 60. I'm wondering if the same limitation is on this plan.

I am 69 and I got it.

I started this topic with the intention to give REAL, PRECISE and GOOD information about a NEW Thai government Health program for foreigners. I hope people here will not GUESS or ASSUME anything, and orderly will take advantage of something positive for many of us.

Here in Chiang Rai, the expat community is small and it is possible to apply for the card very easy and received in 2 days. For the government to give to us the same rights they give to Thai citizens in this aspect, it is very good. Again... no age limitation and not difference for single or married farangs. Please be polite, and do it in orderly manner and not creating situations with hospital employees that may lead to complains and to the termination of this plan. In same places like BK and other tourist spots may not be so easy when doing the application with other local "foreigners". We are also visitors to this country like them, and we do not have the rights to demand special treatment. Because this program is NEW I believe that many hospital may not have updated information, and it is NORMAL that you will get conflicted information sometimes. This is Thailand.

I started this topic with the intention to give REAL, PRECISE and GOOD information about a NEW Thai government Health program for foreigners. I hope people here will not GUESS or ASSUME anything, and orderly will take advantage of something positive for many of us.

Here in Chiang Rai, the expat community is small and it is possible to apply for the card very easy and received in 2 days. For the government to give to us the same rights they give to Thai citizens in this aspect, it is very good. Again... no age limitation and not difference for single or married farangs. Please be polite, and do it in orderly manner and not creating situations with hospital employees that may lead to complains and to the termination of this plan. In same places like BK and other tourist spots may not be so easy when doing the application with other local "foreigners". We are also visitors to this country like them, and we do not have the rights to demand special treatment. Because this program is NEW I believe that many hospital may not have updated information, and it is NORMAL that you will get conflicted information sometimes. This is Thailand.

anugoon....I think if you look at who started this topic you will find it is not you.

Edited by harrry