Affordable health insurance.

harrry

I have to confess that I had rather hoped there had been some policy creep in this area, as i would very much like to see a low-cost public health insurance scheme that covers expats.

However, I have now had a reply from a senior colleague in NHSO who said there is nothing very new here. According to him: 'it is migrant health insurance for illegal migrant workers and their dependants from the three countries who have temporary work permits. Those who enter the country legally will be compulsorily insured by the SSS.' He seems to feel that separate compulsory health insurance for foreign visitors is likely to be required. My contact passed on a report that influenced current policy and gives an idea of the thinking behind it (attached).

I'm not completely sure this is the last word on this subject, given the possibility that policies do develop as they are rolled out, but this comes from one of the authors of the 2013-15 health sector plan and is probably right,

Financing Healthcare for Migrants.pdf

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Policies do sometimes evolve in unexpected ways and may be implemented in different ways in different local areas. I talked to some senior people about cross border health issues in August and based my comments on what I was told then, but I will check with a contact in NHSO as to whether anything has changed.

I'm afraid my Thai is too poor to be able to do a full translation of the announcement (post #86) without taking more time than I have available. The same MoPH notice of August 13th signed by Dr Pradit (Minister of Public Health) is attached to the front as was contained in the Ubon pdf. The text that follows tells prospective members of the scheme what documents etc. they need to sign up, lists the prices that will apply for those who are or are not also eligible to join the Social Security Scheme (it offers a 3 month coverage option for those who will eventually get SSS coverage),.mentions the details of the physical examination and the conditions that preclude entry, and then lists the conditions/treatments that are covered. The document does not mention any target nationalities and uses the general phrase 'con dtaang daao' to describe the foreigners/migrants who can join - so it is ambiguous. There is a bit at the end about procedures when an employee changes employer.

Thanks for the accurate translation of what it says. Maybe the goal posts have changed as we have reports of three districts that it applies to expats as well as a few news reports indicating this. Please keep us updated about what you find out.

My Thai is way too poor for a translation of this kind of stuff.

Posibly this is some of the creep you wished for.

http://apmagnet.ilo.org/news/health-plans-for-foreigners-in-thailand-under-review

On health care measures for foreigners in preparation for the AEC, the ministry will target three groups of foreign nationals: people from countries sharing borders with Thailand who seek

medical treatment here; foreign (migrant) workers and expatriates and their families who are not under the social security system; and foreigners who require a visa to enter Thailand.

i

In August I spent 2 weeks in a government hospital. While I was there a hospital administrator approached my wife and told her it was too late for this time but next time for me to go to the hospital with a copy of my passport and say I was a poor person and I would get health care very similar to what the Thais get. This sounds like what this thread is about I am going to go tomorrow and hopefully I'll have more information. This is at an amphur hospital in Kalasin Province.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well, it seems I was mistaken... In going back and looking, I am now finding there was a reference to the public health minister back in March seemingly talking about a plan to offer Thai government health insurance to various groups, INCLUDING resident expats and their families.

Thailand mulls health insurance for foreigners

By Coconuts Bangkok March 4, 2013 / 09:41 ICT

As part of its preparations prior to 2015’s formation of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC), Thailand is working on a plan to offer health insurance to foreigners traveling within its borders.

According to a statement from Public Health Minister Pradit Sinthawanarong, Thailand is preparing to offer health insurance to migrant workers living in Thailand, as well as to expatriates and their families.

Thailand is also working on a plan to address the healthcare needs of populations in adjacent countries, such as Cambodia and Laos, as well.

Thai ministers are expecting a marked increase in medical tourists from these countries and have proposed the creation of set prices for medical treatments, which will apply to all visitors from these neighboring nations. Pradit also said that Thailand will work with NGOs such as the World Health Organization (WHO) to bolster its neighbors’ healthcare infrastructure, therefore obviating the need for cross-border medical traffic.

The Bangkok Post reports that the Health Ministry will enact a “health card” scheme this May, and encourage expat residents to purchase these health cards for their children.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/news/thailand-mulls-health-insurance-for-foreigners

And then there was this proposal in June relating to requiring health insurance for incoming tourists:

Posted 2013-06-29 12:03:09

Thailand to require foreign tourists to buy health insurance

BANGKOK, June 28 (UPI) -- Lawmakers in Thailand say they want all foreign tourists to be required to purchase travel and health insurance before arriving in their country.

Thailand's Public Health Ministry Wednesday proposed the measure during a meeting with representatives from the Airports of Thailand, Royal Thai Police and other government ministries, the Bangkok Post reported.

The health ministry has suggested the cost of health insurance coverage might be included in visa fees, Public Health Minister Pradit Sinthawanarong said at the meeting.

Those visiting Thailand without visas would be required to buy insurance at immigration checkpoints or the fees could be added to the cost of airline tickets.

After the meeting, Pradit said all of those involved agreed to set up a subcommittee to work on the proposal.
The health ministry set up the meeting after Thailand's government asked it to address concerns about the financial burden on the country's state hospitals, which are required to provide foreigners with free medical service, Pradit said.

Source: http://www.upi.com/T...82601372457061/

-- UPI 2013-06-29

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/650005-thailand-to-require-foreign-tourists-to-buy-health-insurance/

I do understand about a tabian baan. Actually, a person with PR can either have their "own" one (i.e. be the head of HH) or be in someone else's.

And I am certain that, by law and policy, PR does not entitle one to free UC.

There are so few people with PR that hospitals don't know what to do when confronted with it, but they are in error. Some hospitals have erroneously given a UC registration to foreigners without PR as well, ditto.

Do you yourself have permanent residence? Do you have an alein registration book? Do you have a white permannet resident book.Do you have your own tambien baan? Do you know that PR does not need to have a passport unless they want to travel abroad? I have had these for 50 years/ The trouble is that there are so few, that most hospitlas do not know what they are and rather than admit it say something like "free healthcare is only for Thais"

This just happened to me when I was trying to change my hospital. When she said that "free health care is only for Thais I showed her my Thai alien registration and asked her if she knew what is was. She had no idea. I eventually took the matter up with a senior person in the hospital who confirmed that PR were entiteled to free healthcare. Cherryl do you know what a Thai Alien registration book is/ Do you know that over a million Thai Chineses have them? You are confusing people on this forum because you simply beleive what someone tells you. You should check with people who do really know the rules.

Unfortunately we get a lot of misinformation about public healthcare coverage on Thai Visa..

Sheryl is perfectly correct when she says that neither a house registration document nor PR status make one eligible for the universal coverage scheme. The National Health Security Act 2002 limits eligibility for the UCS to Thai citizens.

The only real changes that have occurred recently are (a) provision of free health care for stateless persons within Thailand (intended mainly to cover certain ethnic minority groups) and (b ) a new scheme for migrant workers from Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia, which is linked to a recent initiative on cross border health care.

http://www.burmalibrary.org/docs16/IOM-Migrant_Info_Note_No_21-ocr-en.pdf

http://en.vietnamplus.vn/Home/Thailand-allows-migrant-workers-accessing-health-services/20139/39293.vnplus

I work in this field and get my information from people at a senior level. Lower level hospital administrators sometimes give out incorrect information. If a mistake occurs and you manage to get registered under the migrant worker healthcare scheme, do not be surprised if you are denied care when the error is discovered.

Thank you Citizen.... I clearly understand what you mean.wai2.gif

so you people who probably do not have PR are telling me that over the last 50 years every single one of the 30 odd major Goverment and Provincial Hospitals in Thailand have been giving me free health care in Error. Get your facts right and stop confusing members of this forum! As a permanent resident you get a Thai (alien) ID card which entitles you to a lot of things, for instance I do not longer have to have a passport unless I leave the country! The problem is that so few foreigners have PR that most hospital employees have not clue what is.

So you people who probably do not have PR are telling me that over the last 50 years every single one of the 30 odd major Goverment and Provincial Hospitals in Thailand have been giving me free health care in Error. Get your facts right and stop confusing members of this forum! As a permanent resident you get a Thai (alien) ID card which entitles you to a lot of things, for instance I do not longer have to have a passport unless I leave the country! The problem is that so few foreigners have PR that most hospital employees have not clue what is.

It may be unfair and illogical, but it is the case that those with PR rather than citizenship are not covered by the UCS. i checked that point at a very high level in the NHSO when we discussed the issue on other threads, and indeed you will find the information in the Thai language section of the NHSO website if you care to look. Alternatively ring the 1330 helpline. Please don't shoot the messenger.

Incidentally the UCS has only been available to most Thais since 2002, so the 50 years doesn't really come into it. As we have said in the thread, some local hospitals may sometimes misinterpret central government policies.

Extract from website follows.

http://www.nhso.go.th/FrontEnd/page-forpeople_nhso.aspx

ใครคือผู้มีสิทธิ หลักประกันสุขภาพ

ตามพระราชบัญญัติหลักประกันสุขภาพแห่งชาติ พ.ศ.2545 มาตรา 5 กำหนดให้ บุคคลทุกคนมีสิทธิได้รับบริการสาธารณสุข ที่มีมาตรฐาน และมีประสิทธิภาพตามที่กำหนด ในพระราชบัญญัติ ซึ่งบุคคลในที่นี้ หมายถึง บุคคลที่มีสัญชาติไทย

ดังนั้น ผู้มีสิทธิหลักประกันสุข ภาพ คือ บุคคลที่มีสัญชาติไทย มีเลขประจำตัวประชาชน 13 หลัก และไม่มีสวัสดิการด้านการรักษาพยาบาลอื่นใดที่รัฐจัดให้

Who is entitled to healthcare?

The National Health Security Act 2545, Section 5 entitles all persons to standard and efficient health services as required. In the Act this means individuals who are Thai nationals.

Therefore, health insurance is the right of persons with Thai nationality. a 13-digit identification number and who are not covered by other state health care schemes

I do understand about a tabian baan. Actually, a person with PR can either have their "own" one (i.e. be the head of HH) or be in someone else's.

And I am certain that, by law and policy, PR does not entitle one to free UC.

There are so few people with PR that hospitals don't know what to do when confronted with it, but they are in error. Some hospitals have erroneously given a UC registration to foreigners without PR as well, ditto.

Do you yourself have permanent residence? Do you have an alein registration book? Do you have a white permannet resident book.Do you have your own tambien baan? Do you know that PR does not need to have a passport unless they want to travel abroad? I have had these for 50 years/ The trouble is that there are so few, that most hospitlas do not know what they are and rather than admit it say something like "free healthcare is only for Thais"

This just happened to me when I was trying to change my hospital. When she said that "free health care is only for Thais I showed her my Thai alien registration and asked her if she knew what is was. She had no idea. I eventually took the matter up with a senior person in the hospital who confirmed that PR were entiteled to free healthcare. Cherryl do you know what a Thai Alien registration book is/ Do you know that over a million Thai Chineses have them? You are confusing people on this forum because you simply beleive what someone tells you. You should check with people who do really know the rules.

That is exactly what I have done. It's called the National Helath Security Office. the problem is that you refuse not only to believe me but also to believe them, despite the fact that they are the ones who set the policies and the rules.

I know exactly what PR is. And while it confers on you some of the benefits Thai citizens have it does not confer all of them.

Of course it is a moot point for you as you have apparently succeeded in getting care, but be advised that if you are ever referred to say a tertiary facility in Bangkok you may be refused as they tend to be more up on the rules. Other TV members with PR have had this experience.

Well, it seems I was mistaken... In going back and looking, I am now finding there was a reference to the public health minister back in March seemingly talking about a plan to offer Thai government health insurance to various groups, INCLUDING resident expats and their families.

Thailand mulls health insurance for foreigners

By Coconuts Bangkok March 4, 2013 / 09:41 ICT

As part of its preparations prior to 2015’s formation of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC), Thailand is working on a plan to offer health insurance to foreigners traveling within its borders.

According to a statement from Public Health Minister Pradit Sinthawanarong, Thailand is preparing to offer health insurance to migrant workers living in Thailand, as well as to expatriates and their families.

Thailand is also working on a plan to address the healthcare needs of populations in adjacent countries, such as Cambodia and Laos, as well.

Thai ministers are expecting a marked increase in medical tourists from these countries and have proposed the creation of set prices for medical treatments, which will apply to all visitors from these neighboring nations. Pradit also said that Thailand will work with NGOs such as the World Health Organization (WHO) to bolster its neighbors’ healthcare infrastructure, therefore obviating the need for cross-border medical traffic.

The Bangkok Post reports that the Health Ministry will enact a “health card” scheme this May, and encourage expat residents to purchase these health cards for their children.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/news/thailand-mulls-health-insurance-for-foreigners

Yes, it is quite clear that the matter is being though about/under discussion. What is not clear is whether any decisions have yet been taken and whether the directive that went out was meant to cover resident expats as well as migrants (seems like not, but some hospitals have interpreted it as such).

In short, very confusing situation at present.

I went to Chula hospital in Bangkok today with the needed documents Incl. yellow tabien bahn and print of the above brochure, gov letter and application form - no luck. Even got some help from decent English speaking staff there. Got the run around, they said they did not make those cards, referred me to talk with my amphur to figure out what hospital I belong too Etc. Does anybody know which would be my "amphur" hospital for Sathorn amphur Bangkok? Cheers!

This may help to clarify the entitlement to Universal Scheme.

Sorry it is just a google translation as my THai is not good enough.

It does seem Permanent residents are not covered.

http://www.nhso.go.th/FrontEnd/page-forpeople_nhso.aspx

Who is entitled to. Health.

National Health Security Act 2545, Section 5 requires that all persons are entitled to a standard and efficient health services as required. In the Act. This means that individuals who are nationals of Thailand.

Therefore, health insurance is the right person with the nationality Thailand. A 13-digit identification number and any other welfare state healthcare provide.

For example, individuals with the welfare of the state, such as healthcare.

1. Entitled under the Social Security Act, as employees in the companies that have one or more employees from the employee or employee's individual work hawker stalls. No business included.
  2. Entitled to welfare payments under the care of the government, such as government employees and their families.
  3. Who are wards of the state to provide health insurance for enterprise employees. Employee or officer of the organization. Private school teachers in the system.

Until we have a report of a farang actually paying the fee, getting the physical exam and then having the insurance card under this program it continues to be speculation. No matter what is written and what is said it has no meaning unless we have evidence that farags are being enrolled in this program. I have never believed that the government wants to help farangs with any issue other than making sure you pay big taxes on your work permit. The tax level also discriminates against people from North America as compared to other countries in the world.

Newbie: Thanks for the report. With the action taken in Udorn then when others apply and are turned down then they should ask that the government hospital in Udorn be contacted for verification. If this plan is honored nationwide it is a big break for resident farangs.

I went to Chula hospital in Bangkok today with the needed documents Incl. yellow tabien bahn and print of the above brochure, gov letter and application form - no luck. Even got some help from decent English speaking staff there. Got the run around, they said they did not make those cards, referred me to talk with my amphur to figure out what hospital I belong too Etc. Does anybody know which would be my "amphur" hospital for Sathorn amphur Bangkok? Cheers!

Thanks for posting and saving me the trip to Chula hospital!

Donald; at Chula Hospital I got them to call Udorn, after some communication with them, the conclusion was that I had to apply at my designated amphur hospital, and that they did not produce those cards at Chula itself. They did not confirm in anyway that I COULD get such a card - but did also not say I could not.

I guess my next trip will have to be to the Sathorn amphur first - to see if I can get a clear answer as to which hospital should cover me (in case I get ANY cover of course!).

Cheers!

Chula is a government hospital but a tertiary level one i.e. not for primaeryt care, and I think people under UC have to be referred to it by their primary hospital.

NHSO would be able to tell you which hospital that is for Sathorn. Call center 1330 but might not speak English.

I'll be surprised if you suceed in getting this in Bkk though.

Newbie: Thanks for the report. With the action taken in Udorn then when others apply and are turned down then they should ask that the government hospital in Udorn be contacted for verification. If this plan is honored nationwide it is a big break for resident farangs.

I think it is clear that Udon Hospital is doing this. Whether as a misinterpretation of the law or intentionally using a vaguely worded decree to serve this purpose, who knows. So far no report if this occurring elsewhere.

Chula is a government hospital but a tertiary level one i.e. not for primaeryt care, and I think people under UC have to be referred to it by their primary hospital.

NHSO would be able to tell you which hospital that is for Sathorn. Call center 1330 but might not speak English.

I'll be surprised if you suceed in getting this in Bkk though.

I would be most surprised too! Thanks for the number though. Will call and see what they say. Cheers!

I kept my appointment with Sanam Chai Khet Hospial,Chachoengsou district today. Had my medical and passed ok.Paid my 2800 baht.I was given two sealed letters to be given to a doctor in the hospital should I need treatment. I have been told to come back later this month to collect my medical card.

Ah! A second location now. Udon and Chachengsao.

Whether or not this was the intent of the directive, more than one province has so interpreted it....

Geographically well separated !

Interesting

Is to to much to ask that the mods keep a tab on the areas of "success" ?

I have an appointment and my wife has had long discussions..Chiangrai does too. Biggest problem they seem to have is the machine to take the photo and print the card is upstairs....and I cannot climb stairs but they worked it out...

Archived