Affordable health insurance.

harrry

As requested

I'm registered at Pakchong Nana Hospital in Pakchong and Maharat Hospital in Korat. Got my card on Sept. 20.

It has been possible to get this UC card since Aug. 12 2013

You can obtain more first hand knowledge by calling 02 590 1580 or sending an email to [email protected]

They are very quick to reply. All in Thai though.

When I spoke with them the last time, to get the renewal requisites clarified, they said they were going to have a meeting discussing various aspects of the program and asked me to call back next week.

They lady I spoke with on that occasion was not very helpful and I intend to let my hospital get in contact with them during next month and see how things are going.

Thanks very much for the added info, Touch.

The conversation you recount indeed makes it sound like they actually have some intention in the MOPH to foster a plan that really will cover expats here... as opposed to this just being a case of some local hospitals going off on a flyer of their own.

Hope it's indeed the former (and not the later), and these little saplings turn into big trees.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I reced 76 years old, Pacific International increased my premium to 500 Baht per day. Private insurance companies do not like to insure older people and they raise the price to get you off their books. Also, these policies are only one year at a time and they can refuse to renew your policy.

When I reced 76 years old, Pacific International increased my premium to 500 Baht per day. Private insurance companies do not like to insure older people and they raise the price to get you off their books. Also, these policies are only one year at a time and they can refuse to renew your policy.

Expensive !facepalm.gif

I would not mind paying up to ฿2,000 a month if therr were no pre conditions. More than that would be unaffordable for me, as I am on a limited pension and support a family of eight.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would consider this as well especially as I have some pre-existing conditions such as high blood pressure, which is actually kept well under control by the medication I take.

Alan

When I had my medical they asked if I was on any medication. I told them I was on high blood preasure tablets.They were not concerned with this and never asked if I had pre-exsisting conditions.

Having a long experience of getting free health care at government hospitals. Quite frankly it really is not such a big deal unless you are really poor. They will only give you really cheap medicine and for any serious problems will refer you to a major hospital where they have long waiting lists. I think that this Bt2800 scheme will save you very little. If you have a heart problem and need a stent in your heart do you really think they are going to pay for it Bt176,000? Many first class doctors at Major Hospitals have a clinic and if you visit then they charge only Bt50 or so. Even if you don't have a health card government hospitals are very cheap.

A friend of mine who signed up for the health card 10 days ago has now got an appointment for an MRI check for next week at Udonthani Hospital. Judging all government hospitals as to be dirty and their medicine and treatments to be of poor quality is just incorrect! I can name one hospital which is pretty good equipped. We have met only very friendly staff there and two of us had treatment since we've signed up. I could imagine that there are more government run hospitals like Udon Thani's one is but really I don't know as I haven't been to any apart the one.

Maybe I wrote this before: public hospitals are pretty grim places to go to, dirty and uncaring. Without a family here to look after you, not a good place to be at all. I am talking about the provinces of course..

Some of what I had written in my previous post was actually meant to reply your comment, sorry!

When I first came to live in Isaan ten years ago the hospitals I visited at that time were rather rundown, not necessarily dirty, but run down. In the last couple of years a lot of these hospitals have been redone and added on to, and are now quite pleasent. I have had a Cateract opperation in Kalasin hospital and have spent a total of over three weeks this year in Kuchinarai district hospital and have been impressed with both. I have stayed in the ward and wouldn't stay anywhere else. I would find a private room very boring. The wards are entertaining and all the friends and family who are always there looking after their love ones, help each other out. It is hard to believe, but it almost becomes a party atmosphere and is up lifting.

When I first came to live in Isaan ten years ago the hospitals I visited at that time were rather rundown, not necessarily dirty, but run down. In the last couple of years a lot of these hospitals have been redone and added on to, and are now quite pleasent. I have had a Cateract opperation in Kalasin hospital and have spent a total of over three weeks this year in Kuchinarai district hospital and have been impressed with both. I have stayed in the ward and wouldn't stay anywhere else. I would find a private room very boring. The wards are entertaining and all the friends and family who are always there looking after their love ones, help each other out. It is hard to believe, but it almost becomes a party atmosphere and is up lifting.

I have to agree with that. If I had not been ill and stayed in SuanDork some years ago I would never have met my wife. My neigbour in the warrd was a nice guy from Chiangrai who was a paraplegic. On visiting him he introduced me to my wife who had some hospital training as someone who could help me if I needed it. One trip with her to ChiangSaen and that was it we have been together ever since then. The best thing that ever happened in my life.

Wards may not be comfortable,or private but caring human places though sometimes confronting.

Edited by harrry

To summarize: thus far confirmed receipt of cards from:

Udon Thani Hospital

Pakchong Nana Hospital in Pakchong and Maharat Hospital in Korat

Chiang Rai Hospital

Chachengsao Hospital

And information can be obtained from 02 590 1580 or email to [email protected]

Sorry Sheryl, but I joined the scheme with Sanam Chai Khet hospital which is in the province of Chachoengsou.I don't know if I would have got the same responce from Chachoengsou hospital.

Just curious if the people who have signed up have all had a tabien ban or a Thai wife?

I'm hoping that my visa extension, work permit and tax ID number will be sufficient, I don't qualify for the employment based social security plan. Assuming of course ..........

Edited by ricklev

Just curious if the people who have signed up have all had a tabien ban or a Thai wife?

I'm hoping that my visa extension, work permit and tax ID number will be sufficient, I don't qualify for the employment based social security plan. Assuming of course ..........

I have a thai wife and she has a tabien ban in her name

You should have a 13digit reg. number in your work permit so I could imagine that you will be able to sign up as well.

If this is the case, I wonder whether the local officials are looking at the nationality code in the first digit of the 13-digit number. Possibly one source of confusion is that (I think) the digit 6 is used for stateless people and also for farang with a yellow book.

Going back to the (separate) gold card scheme. Nick, a PR who was declined, probably has a 13-digit number starting with 8, while Gamini, who seems to have been accepted, has a number starting with 3 (as do some older cards of Thai nationals).

Speculating wildly, I wonder if the IT systems of the two schemes accept some 'wrong' 13 digit numbers but not others.

If this is the case, I wonder whether the local officials are looking at the nationality code in the first digit of the 13-digit number. Possibly one source of confusion is that (I think) the digit 6 is used for stateless people and also for farang with a yellow book.

Going back to the (separate) gold card scheme. Nick, a PR who was declined, probably has a 13-digit number starting with 8, while Gamini, who seems to have been accepted, has a number starting with 3 (as do some older cards of Thai nationals).

Speculating wildly, I wonder if the IT systems of the two schemes accept some 'wrong' 13 digit numbers but not others.

To be honest: I don't think that for the guy who accepted my application at Udonhospital it was of any importance whether the 6th or 1st digit of my 13-digit number in my yellow book actually was what ever. The most important thing was to prove that I wasn't a tourist. The 13-digit number - I guess - could have been also taken of my wife's blue book, if I wouldn't have had my own one. Here's a link to the application form for the scheme- not sure I've seen one so far in this thread.

I would not give a huge amount of weight to the hospitalss that say they do not. Until recently only a few places gave yellow books. There was an entitlement to them but many places refused them. In this case I think the fact that multiple hospitals do is more signifigent. I would not be surprised if the hospitals which currently charge foreigners much more than other places such as Phuket and Pattaya give the most problems.

Edited by harrry

I would not mind paying up to ฿2,000 a month if therr were no pre conditions. More than that would be unaffordable for me, as I am on a limited pension and support a family of eight.

I would consider this as well especially as I have some pre-existing conditions such as high blood pressure, which is actually kept well under control by the medication I take.

Alan

When I had my medical they asked if I was on any medication. I told them I was on high blood preasure tablets.They were not concerned with this and never asked if I had pre-exsisting conditions.

That's good to know. I also take glucosamine for this cartilage in my knees along with baby aspirin and folic acid.

Alan

PR are entitled to bt30 health care

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was refused a gold card at my local hospital despite being a PR for 20+ years.

Surely the 30bt fee was abandoned some years ago, and treatment is now free.

Nick,

Which hospital was this and was it just recently?

As I am trying to keep track of what is going on.

Can anyone say this 'health Insurance' scheme is up and running nationwide? I was turned down with a definate "no" and told it was for migrant workers only.

Sinbin,

No, no-one can say this and all indications are that in fact it is not intended to be a system for resident expats but rather for migrant workers. However the directive, while it used a term that generally means migrant workers, was not really definitive on this point and there are hospitals (4 identified thus far, likely will come to more) that have interpreted it as applying to all foreigners living in Thailand (i.e. non-tourists).

Which hospital did you try? I'm trying to keep a tally of what is going on, where.

For those who are issued a card -- I see no problem with accepting and using it, but IF you also have private insurance, don't drop itAs it may get revoked later, or not be accepted at highest levels of care.

There does seem to be some intention to eventually have a system for resident expats but as far as anyone has been able to determione, the govt has not yet enacted it.

Sheryl,

I can assure you that when I called the Ministry for Public Health, they were very aware that I was not a Thai citizen..

However, I have to agree that if one has an existing health insurance it'd probably be a very good idea to hang on to it.

Nobody knows how this will play out in the future, it might get recalled, or if we are lucky extended. Who knows.

Sheryl,

I can assure you that when I called the Ministry for Public Health, they were very aware that I was not a Thai citizen..

However, I have to agree that if one has an existing health insurance it'd probably be a very good idea to hang on to it.

Nobody knows how this will play out in the future, it might get recalled, or if we are lucky extended. Who knows.

I was unaware you had called the central ministry. Whom (title) did you speak with?

Sheryl,

I was unaware you had called the central ministry. Whom (title) did you speak with?

see post #148