Gay people smarter?

Jingthing

Not saying that they are, but something to chew on ...

It’s a tricky question, but at least one researcher thinks he has the answer—and the data to prove it. Last year, Satoshi Kanazawa argued in the Journal of Biosocial Science that gay people are typically born with more intelligence than the average heterosexual. Kanazawa explained his findings through the Savanna-IQ Interaction Hypothesis, which holds that smart people are better able to override their evolutionary impulses, adapting to new stimuli and desires more effectively than average or dumb people can. Just as smart people are ostensibly more likely to be vegetarians—a choice that requires shutting off the evolutionary impulse toward meat—so, too, are smart people more willing to engage with same-sex desires.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2013/09/30/are_gay_people_smarter_than_straight_people_or_do_they_just_work_harder.html

The whole discussion controversial. If the study popped out stats the other way, people would be up in arms about it.

That's an interesting point. It certainly would if the state of being gay was a race. But it's not. It is an identity group though.

Anyone reading the entire link can see that the theory is not really being endorsed as especially credible anyway.

I really don't know, or necessarily agree with the title of this Topic,but there seems to be a noticeable amount of talent (especially show business) and also in many other disciplines around the world,which are Gay!

So if this theory proves to be incorrect,it certainly isn't bad news for Gays.

Being a vegetarian is smart? They seem to have some rather weird definitions of smart.

Anyway, this part of the article makes sense to me:

Gays born into small towns—which tend toward homophobia—understand early on that they must escape in order to find acceptance. For LGBT youths, escape usually hinges on two all-important factors: good grades and money. When excelling in school and making money are the only escape hatch to happiness, hitting the books and working overtime have a lot more appeal.

The whole discussion controversial. If the study popped out stats the other way, people would be up in arms about it.

That's an interesting point. It certainly would if the state of being gay was a race. But it's not. It is an identity group though.

Anyone reading the entire link can see that the theory is not really being endorsed as especially credible anyway.

Would scientists endorsing that study be seen as likely / probably gay, since as scientists they are probably "more intelligence than the average heterosexual"? whistling.gifcoffee1.gif

Would scientists endorsing that study be seen as likely / probably gay, since as scientists they are probably "more intelligence than the average heterosexual"? whistling.gifcoffee1.gif

Leonardo was quite a smart bloke as was Alan...

Leonardo was quite a smart bloke as was Alan...

And so where some straight guys, such as Einstein, Mozart, and many others.

All that study confirms is that the person using the word "intelligence" bundles with it certain characteristics that may be culturally specific. Inuit people might have survival skills and perceptions of the environment that folks in a tropical region would not. The IQ test has been accused of measuring highly biased sociocultural elements.

There may be valid elements measured in that particular study. But I cringe at the idea that the conclusion represents a measure of "intelligence."

I don't want to chew on this; I want to spit it out.

Well,they don't have to wait hours to get in the Bathroom,like Me,so they must be brighter.thumbsup.gif

????

Maybe he's talking about the "third sex" toilets .... but I'm guessing its got something to do with daughters occupying the family bathroom, which is seldom a problem in gay households.

• Like 2

Well,they don't have to wait hours to get in the Bathroom,like Me,so they must be brighter.thumbsup.gif

Maybe he's talking about the "third sex" toilets .... but I'm guessing its got something to do with daughters occupying the family bathroom, which is seldom a problem in gay households.

Spot On, shared a Flat at Uni with 2 Gay Guys, no mess allways tidey,now bathroom {WAS} like a dumping groud for empty Shampoo Bottles.Personally i dont think this Forum does much for Gay People,it highlights one as different,when the gay folks i know just fit in as everyone else in our crowd.

Personally i dont think this Forum does much for Gay People,it highlights one as different,when the gay folks i know just fit in as everyone else in our crowd.

What is exactly wrong with being different? Imagine how BORING the world would be if everyone was the same.

As far as doing much for gay people, not even sure where you're coming from. If you mean like sugar coating PR targeted towards non-gay people -- why should that be any kind of concern? The "purpose" of this forum certainly is NOT as any kind of political propaganda tool to make non-gay people think nice things about gay people (in my opinion).

If you meant instead there is not much value for gay people using this forum, I think that might be a valid observation. I think it could have more value but I think the pool of regular posters is just too thin to really deliver on that. Hope springs eternal. My opinion.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Personally i dont think this Forum does much for Gay People,it highlights one as different,when the gay folks i know just fit in as everyone else in our crowd.

What is exactly wrong with being different? Imagine how BORING the world would be if everyone was the same.

As far as doing much for gay people, not even sure where you're coming from. If you mean like sugar coating PR targeted towards non-gay people -- why should that be any kind of concern? The "purpose" of this forum certainly is NOT as any kind of political propaganda tool to make non-gay people think nice things about gay people (in my opinion).

If you meant instead there is not much value for gay people using this forum, I think that might be a valid observation. I think it could have more value but I think the pool of regular posters is just too thin to really deliver on that. Hope springs eternal. My opinion.

Well for me,the Gay Friends i know just seem to fit in without being noticed , and dont get treated any differenly to all the People in Our Crowd, thats all. Mind You they dont go Dancing Around at Gay Pride things , or even condone them.