Portable Digital Media Player

kkengvibul

PMPs are pretty expensive, so they still haven't caught on yet. The budget you specify will probably get you a lower-end model.

Apple's Ipod video is nice, but the screen is tiny (maybe wait for the next generation?). It's still mainly a music player.

There are other considerations, such as how much storage you want, whether you want memory slots (CF, SD, etc), how big it should be, how big the screen should be, etc.

I have had a few, and I really prefer the iPod for my needs. Simple user interface, no clutter, and it does the job. Solitaire can also be nice when trying to get to sleep on a long flight...

Generally speaking, most players focus on reducing size rather than having a long battery life. Removable batteries are common on some designs, but I think that is more of a pain than it is worth. I have an external battery pack for mine, which will let me go for longer periods when required, without the bulk on a day-to-day basis.

Try a few-- hold them, navigate the menus, listen to the sound quality.

Another benefit on the iPod is that there are lots of good accessories designed for them, while the more generic (ok, non-dominant) players have fewer things like cases and integrated charger/stereo systems. We have an Altech-Lansing mini-stereo that we can bring with us everywhere.