yankee99

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ya aren't hearing the whole story.It's very one sided

what more do i need to hear, i can see the video taken by the agressors, of 30 people on bikes chasing a family.

what extenuating circumstances could there possibly be?

I am guessing the lawyer for the injured biker will argue that knocking one of the bikers off his bike, before running over another 2 guys (paralyzing one of them by the sounds of things) was possibly not a proportional reaction based on what was at that point some criminal damage to his vehicle.

Not a view I would take myself - in my view the driver clearly felt threatened by the time he had stopped the car and rightly so (especially with his wife and daughter in the car). I think many people in that situation would panic and stamp the accelerator.

For the sake of those looking for an argument, allow me to repeat. Not a view I would take myself. Therefore no need to flame :)

I wouldn't be surprised to see some civil action against the driver of the car by the family of the biker, especially if paralyzed for life as suggested.

Other motorists on the scene said the bikers initially tried unsuccessfully to make the Range Rover give way to them so they could occupy the entire road. There where also bikers along the route blocking entrances to the highway to prevent other road users from joining it. The Range Rover driver who is a director of Skrill.Com panicked when made to stop and the rest is now history. I`m guessing that most people when confronted by a mob aren`t going to hang around to get lynched.

http://jalopnik.com/biker-at-start-of-terrifying-range-rover-attack-arreste-1433776499 :
What's worst about this whole incident is that much of it seems to stem from a number of misunderstandings. According to motorcyclist Rene Towles present during the ride and later interviewed by the New York Times, the bikers who surrounded Lien's Range Rover after Lien rear-ended Cruz didn't intend to be violent at all.

“No biker became aggressive with the driver after the incident,” said Mr. Towles, who belongs to a Brooklyn motorcycle club. “People were just trying to find out what just happened.”

Thats what one of the bikers said.

I am guessing the lawyer for the injured biker will argue that knocking one of the bikers off his bike, before running over another 2 guys (paralyzing one of them by the sounds of things) was possibly not a proportional reaction based on what was at that point some criminal damage to his vehicle.

Not a view I would take myself - in my view the driver clearly felt threatened by the time he had stopped the car and rightly so (especially with his wife and daughter in the car). I think many people in that situation would panic and stamp the accelerator.

For the sake of those looking for an argument, allow me to repeat. Not a view I would take myself. Therefore no need to flame smile.png

I wouldn't be surprised to see some civil action against the driver of the car by the family of the biker, especially if paralyzed for life as suggested.

I am not sure about the "criminal damage to his vehicle" at the first stop. The driver claims this, but i haven't read anything else about it or i overlooked it. The tire may got broken later. I guess it would be very difficult to drive such distance at such speed with a flat tire.

I guess the driver paniked and overreacted as some bikers started hammering at his car and wanted him to get out of the car. And this has not much to do with his wife and child in the car. He feared about his own safety. In fact he endangered his family with running away in such way and at high speed. Usually men fight with men, they do not beat a woman and a child in such situation. This is not much more than an excuse of the car driver IMO. At the end wife and child where not hurt.

The bikers appeared like a bunch of agressive guys, even if most of them were not. People are different, some panik easily, some stay cool whatever happens. Whoever rides with such a group of idiots should be aware that shit may happen. Is this what some guys think is a fun ride? Such group rides will just increase stereotypes about bikers. But i feel sorry for the guy laying paralyzed in coma now. Hope he will get better soon.

What a sad and stupid story.

The way i understand the law. The bikers that caused the suv driver to take action to protect him and his family are ultimately responsible for the injuries of the paralyzed biker....If he died they (the aggressive bikers)could be charged with murder even though the suv killed him.....

Stupid riders. (dont deserve to be called bikers)

Ive ridden with groups like this in Socal, and its all attitude, nothing but morons that can only ride a straight line and do wheelies.

google 'Ride of the Century' and 'Ruff Ryders' and youll see more of these types.

"cant we all just get along" - http://www.godvine.com/One-Man-in-His-Car-Cheers-Up-Everyone-During-a-Traffic-Jam-This-is-Awesome-4020.html

Edited by KRS1

I guess the driver paniked and overreacted as some bikers started hammering at his car and wanted him to get out of the car. And this has not much to do with his wife and child in the car. He feared about his own safety. In fact he endangered his family with running away in such way and at high speed. Usually men fight with men, they do not beat a woman and a child in such situation. This is not much more than an excuse of the car driver IMO. At the end wife and child where not hurt.

Agreed it's a sad and stupid story.

But I wouldn't call the guy's reaction a "panic". He did exactly what a rational human being would do if his family were set upon by a pack of aggressive idiots.

Usually men fight with men? 20 on 1 isn't a fight, it's a beating. Even if he was alone, he was perfectly justified in doing whatever it took to get out of harm's way.

Feel sorry for the guy who's paralyzed, but he and his buddies were the cause.

Edited by impulse

But I wouldn't call the guy's reaction a "panic". He did exactly what a rational human being would do if his family were set upon by a pack of aggressive idiots.

Usually men fight with men? 20 on 1 isn't a fight, it's a beating. Even if he was alone, he was perfectly justified in doing whatever it took to get out of harm's way.

It all depends on whether or not they started to demolish his car in the few seconds at the first stop. If not, it would have been better to just call the police and stay in the car and try to calm down the situation. If they started to demolish his car then the rection is justified. Same if they showed weapons or such thing.

I did not say it would have been a fair fight. I just said there was no danger for woman and child. It was typical road rage between men. They would never have hit the wife or child, because this would have made them lose their faces in front of the other bikers.

It all depends on whether or not they started to demolish his car in the few seconds at the first stop. If not, it would have been better to just call the police and stay in the car and try to calm down the situation. If they started to demolish his car then the rection is justified. Same if they showed weapons or such thing.

I did not say it would have been a fair fight. I just said there was no danger for woman and child. It was typical road rage between men. They would never have hit the wife or child, because this would have made them lose their faces in front of the other bikers.

If I read the article correctly, he did stop, and they flattened his tires (with knives, maybe?) and started pounding on the windows with helmets to get at him. Tough to calm that situation down. It was going to run its course regardless of how calm he remained.

With the benefit of hindsight, they "only" beat the crap out of him and sent him to the hospital. That result was no way certain going in. He had reason to fear for his life. Regardless of the family in the car, he had every right to extract his own butt from the danger.

Had it been me, with or without loved ones in the car, I'd have done exactly the same thing and kept riding on the rims until the police showed up, or until I reached a police station.

http://jalopnik.com/biker-at-start-of-terrifying-range-rover-attack-arreste-1433776499 :

What's worst about this whole incident is that much of it seems to stem from a number of misunderstandings. According to motorcyclist Rene Towles present during the ride and later interviewed by the New York Times, the bikers who surrounded Lien's Range Rover after Lien rear-ended Cruz didn't intend to be violent at all.

“No biker became aggressive with the driver after the incident,” said Mr. Towles, who belongs to a Brooklyn motorcycle club. “People were just trying to find out what just happened.”

For the sake of those looking for an argument, allow me to repeat. Not a view I would take myself. Therefore no need to flame smile.png

I am not sure about the "criminal damage to his vehicle" at the first stop. The driver claims this, but i haven't read anything else about it or i overlooked it. The tire may got broken later. I guess it would be very difficult to drive such distance at such speed with a flat tire.

The bikers appeared like a bunch of agressive guys, even if most of them were not. People are different, some panik easily, some stay cool whatever happens. Whoever rides with such a group of idiots should be aware that shit may happen. Is this what some guys think is a fun ride? Such group rides will just increase stereotypes about bikers. But i feel sorry for the guy laying paralyzed in coma now. Hope he will get better soon.

so, if an angry mob surrounds your family, you test like 'hey, anyway, man beat man so they will not touch my wife and kids'? are you real wantan?

no one risk this man and i do the same. these bikers are shame for all of us.

clearly they were looking for trouble and they found it by being paralyzed - fell sad for the paralyzed dude though whatever happens - or with broken bones or legal actions.

If I read the article correctly, he did stop, and they flattened his tires (with knives, maybe?) and started pounding on the windows with helmets to get at him.

Where exactly have you read that? And who has said it? I guess there are a lot of things confused in some of the writings.

But i am not looking for an argument. We all do not know the truth at this time.

Edited by wantan

No biker became aggressive with the driver after the incident, said Mr. Towles, who belongs to a Brooklyn motorcycle club. People were just trying to find out what just happened.

so, if an angry mob surrounds your family, you test like 'hey, anyway, man beat man so they will not touch my wife and kids'? are you real wantan?

no one risk this man and i do the same. these bikers are shame for all of us.

clearly they were looking for trouble and they found it by being paralyzed - fell sad for the paralyzed dude though whatever happens - or with broken bones or legal actions.

I guess many people would have done the same, so you are not alone. But looking at the result, do you think it was a clever decision to drive over bikes and riders and try to run away? IMO it has worsen the situation and endangered the own family.

Maybe if he hadn't driven off, they would have stabbed him to death on the highway instead of just slashing his face- maybe his wife would have been injured trying to help him if there hadn't been a substantial crowd of onlookers like there were on the street where he was finally forced to stop. Maybe he should have knocked a few of the bikes aside when they were chasing him, as that would certainly have dampened their ardor for catching up with him.

That's if we're speculating.

I'd rather take my chances than hope for some mercy from a gang of angry bikers who intentionally caused the accident I was just involved in.

Edited by RubberSideDown

Maybe he should have knocked a few of the bikes aside when they were chasing him, as that would certainly have dampened their ardor for catching up with him.

Yep, and maybe he would be sentenced to death for multiple murder then. There is some risk in life as we all know. At the end a judge will decide i guess. Not an easy job.

Serious: How do you know this mob was that angry at the beginning? All i see is that at the third stop they broke the window with the helmets. And thats whats to be expected from such morons after he damaged their bikes and hit some riders.

I'm from NY- these idiots have been causing problems for years- this time there was a camera present, but plenty of similar incidents have occurred. The driver isn't being charged with anything- the bikers are being charged for this incident (deservedly) with assault with a deadly weapon (among other things) as they're the ones that instigated the confrontation. Why do you think they all went to the trouble of removing their license plates before setting out? Because they knew they were going to cause problems- well, they got more than they bargained for. These idiots started off by riding aggressively on sidewalks (as shown in other videos) exhibiting no regard for pedestrians- they had none for drivers either.

I very much doubt he would have had any charges had he slammed on his brakes while bring pursued and a couple bikes ate his bumper.

The only real mistake the driver made was not heading for the George Washington Bridge, where a squad of counter-terrorism police are always in place- they would have handled the situation.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

IMO:

1. Attempting to occupy the entire road (refusing to let other 'bigger' vehicles use public space) was proactive and aggressive.

2. Encircling/following a car, whatever you want to call it, by 50? or so bikes for any reason is proactive and aggressive.

3. Brake checking anything on a bike is f$%& stupid...seriously....also aggressive - couldn't see from the vid if it was retaliatory or not.

4. Being rear-ended after attempting to brake-check a vehicle that weighs more than 10 times you do is hardly unexpected.

5. Fleeing a 'mob' of bikers who have attacked your vehicle while stopped and opened a door of your vehicle is expected.

6. Having to do all of this with a woman and child in the vehicle makes the escape all the more justifiable.

I think many people in similar situations to the driver would have behaved far more dangerously.

Condolences to those injured, and I hope at least someone learns a lesson.

• Like 2

Whatever the media wants,then that's who wins.In this case the media has it strongly against the bikers.Ya only see on the video's what the media wants ya to see.The same with us politics.The media has the tea party republicans as the bad guys.In actually 70-80% of the people know this Obama care is bad news.

So you think it is ok to put your family at risk because you think that these bikers will not hurt them because the bikers will lose face. What happens if your kid or wife instinctively rush in because you are beaten up ? What happens if they are high on drug ? If I were in the SUV, I would have driven over the bikers as well.

Interesting video with a slightly different view than the rest of the media:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-newyork-motorcycle-20130930,0,6277795.story

"...held the possibility open that the RangeRover driver might be charged...."

I think its just fair to look a bit closer whether or not there was real danger for the SUV drivers life. If there was, than he did right.

--------------

http://abcnews.go.com/US/nyc-motorcycle-attack-bikers-wife-walk/story?id=20430576

The initial accident caused the bikers to slow down, checking on Cruz and yelling and gesturing at the Range Rover. The driver of the Range Rover then took off from the group at a high speed, barreling through the motorcyclists and hitting three of them, police said.

Seems its still not clear what has really happened at the first stop.

Edited by wantan

Stupid riders. (dont deserve to be called bikers)

Ive ridden with groups like this in Socal, and its all attitude, nothing but morons that can only ride a straight line and do wheelies.

google 'Ride of the Century' and 'Ruff Ryders' and youll see more of these types.

"cant we all just get along" - http://www.godvine.com/One-Man-in-His-Car-Cheers-Up-Everyone-During-a-Traffic-Jam-This-is-Awesome-4020.html

according to the reporter riders popping wheelies and some even standing up on their bikes gee what naughty boys.............

quite surprised by some off the replies here condeming the bikers when no one knows how it all started, i do know if the bikers had not chased the car after the first incident it would probably be the car driver up on all the charges. all i have to say is that i would never be stupid enough to piss off,try to jam my car into the middle of a group ride or crash into a group of bikers and if someone in a car ran over my mates and there bikes i too would be chasing after them.

its more than likely the driver punctured his tyres in the process of driving staright over 3 bikes.

• Like 1

Whatever the media wants,then that's who wins.In this case the media has it strongly against the bikers.Ya only see on the video's what the media wants ya to see.The same with us politics.The media has the tea party republicans as the bad guys.In actually 70-80% of the people know this Obama care is bad news.

If what you say is correct why dont the other bikers start posting their videos to prove the suv driver wasnt on a sunny fall afternoon drive with his family. In reality he was in search of a mob of bikers to go postal on...

I find it hard to believe there was only one helmet cam in this group.

• Like 1

http://nypost.com/2013/10/02/da-wont-charge-bike-assault-thug-in-suv-beating/

The Manhattan DA’s office won’t press charges against one of the motorcycle thugs believed to have terrorized a driver and his family after a wild chase on the West Side Highway, and argued against prosecuting a second biker before ultimately agreeing to, sources said Wednesday.

So this was a bike gang?

As gangs in the US seem to be made up along racial lines, was this a black bike gang? It seems a possibility looking at the second photo in post 16.

The video doesn't show the bikers in a very positive light but it would be interesting to see what happened before and what caused the biker to brake-check the SUV.

Edited by H1w4yR1da

The video doesn't show the bikers in a very positive light but it would be interesting to see what happened before and what caused the biker to brake-check the SUV.

What caused the biker to brake-check the SUV?

The biker said he wanted the SUV to slow down so that the others could go in front and have an empty road to perform stunts, wheelies and such things. The whole group rode slow because they waited till there is enough space for their stunts in front of them, not because they had trouble with the SUV. Don't know if this is true but for me it sounds plausible/perspicuous at least. Looking at the video with this in mind it makes some sense. I don't like this kind of biker groups, but it seems to be some kind of subculture in the USA, maybe compareable to drag races with small bikes in Thailand.

What caused the biker to brake-check the SUV?

The biker said he wanted the SUV to slow down so that the others could go in front and have an empty road to perform stunts, wheelies and such things. The whole group rode slow because they waited till there is enough space for their stunts in front of them, not because they had trouble with the SUV. Don't know if this is true but for me it sounds plausible/perspicuous at least. Looking at the video with this in mind it makes some sense. I don't like this kind of biker groups, but it seems to be some kind of subculture in the USA, maybe compareable to drag races with small bikes in Thailand.

I'm none too keen on stuntas and blocking the road is well out of order but running over a biker and possibly leaving him paralysed is deserving of a criminal charge.