"Shakedown in Chiang Mai" or just paranoid?

tpthai2

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the next step is put large word DASHCAM decals in easy to read letters on a few parts of the vehicle.

I suppose they sell video surveillance stickers for homeowners etc.

Maybe just decals of video camera cartoon images would get the point across.

Roof mounted cameras?

Roof mounted cannons?

Yes, why don't you post the video and the audio, too, which you probably also have, since you are evidentially extraordinarily well-prepared for unusual encounters on the road?

And, of course, you have provided the video to Chiang Mai, if not Region V police headquarters. True?

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Yes, why don't you post the video and the audio, too, which you probably also have, since you are evidentially extraordinarily well-prepared for unusual encounters on the road?

And, of course, you have provided the video to Chiang Mai, if not Region V police headquarters. True?

rolleyes.gif

Why do you need to see the video?

And why would he provide the video to Region V police headquarters? What would they do? Laugh?

This would make a very good advertisement for dashcams,.

Do you know -by any chance-where to buy one in CM??

Yes, but PM me as there are many fake copies of my model.

They are not expensive. Mine has been running for two years

without a problem. I would not drive a kilometer with out it

running. This is the only real protection you have to mitigate

a situation that may occur while driving.

rolleyes.gif

And why would he provide the video to Region V police headquarters? What would they do? Laugh?

That's right, and maybe the cop would not laugh. However, there is a thing

called YouTube that strikes fear in the heart of the corrupt.

YouTube has brought down many and they are all aware of this.

Next time I may say "Video-YouTube

Edited by tpthai2

can you show the video ?

No..They shoot the messenger here. Don't want to go that deep.

Hmmmmm! Now looks like a textbook "delusional disorder, persecutory type," as defined by the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM). Or, perhaps, as know in these parts, a troll.

rolleyes.gif

That's right, and maybe the cop would not laugh. However, there is a thing

called YouTube that strikes fear in the heart of the corrupt.

YouTube has brought down many and they are all aware of this.

Next time I may say "Video-YouTube

A few minutes ago you were too scared to post a link to the video, now you are suggesting that you would put it on YouTube? Make your mind up Walter.

Edited by inthepink
  • Like 1

Check out the site liveleak sometime.

Tons and Tons of incredible Russian accidents, fights and general oddities where dashcams are nearly mandatory to get insurance.

I guess its self canceling. As crime and fraud increases then so would video documentation requirements from insurers to get a decent policy and to receive claims etc.

And I could understand some reticence of posting the video. Maybe post a segment censored for the drivers and/or police identity.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Dash Cams are becoming standard operating equipment in many countries already. Almost every major electronics shop in Japan carry several different models, most for under $200 USD. All of my car-driving friends there mounted them in their vehicles. They are almost as common as cell phones were 10 years ago.

• Like 1

How much are the Dashcams here? Any suggested brands and where to buy one in Chiang Mai?

\

Thanks in advance!

I bought mine here --->

http://www.lazada.co.th/h198-1080p-top-103736.html?recomReferer=category%2Fcat_ts

They deliver free, you can pay cash on delivery (no extra charge). I bought this one at 750 baht, but don't forget to buy a memory card as it comes without. Get at least a 16 GB card. Might be cheap but it's been working fine for 3 months now.

• Like 2

I saw a car recently with a dash mount for a GoPro. Possible lower cost alternative.

GoPros are not cheap at around 9,000 to 10,000 Baht. The one with link shown is 750 Baht. There is also software for Android phones to convert it to a dashcam. I have the software and seems to work well, just don't have a holder yet.

//edit - post flaming another member removed.

Mine has been running for two years

without a problem. I would not drive a kilometer with out it

running. This is the only real protection you have to mitigate

a situation that may occur while driving.

So you "wouldn't drive a kilometer without it." Interesting. What made you get it in the first place? A bit of paranoia, perhaps?

For the record, I've been driving for a gazillion years, have never had one, don't think I'll ever need one. But to each his own.

• Like 1

I figure a dash cam is sort of like 'Accident Insurance.' You buy it, then pray you'll never need it. But you never let it lapse... Ever.

And most folks manage to get through life never having to use its coverage, though the few who do are mighty thankful they had it in the first place. Those who don't have it and need it generally rue the day they decided not to buy it.

A few thousand baht and 30 minutes installation time, when living in a location famous for accidents and scams, seems like a pretty sound investment.

• Like 1

If you don't satisfy the gossip mongers with the video then you are automatically delusional. Possibly they could contemplate their sense of entitlement. Put them in the OP's situation and they would be unlikely to show the video as well. Provincial bores.

• Like 2