Gmail update this morning - be carefull

Cloggie

This morning I received an update for the GMail app on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, I push "install", then it asks something about "Sync is switched off, do you want to switch it on", I say "Yes" and immediate, without any warning, it reboots - strange I think, it should not do that. Now, hours later it still reboots and my telephone is useless now sad.png

Looks like I need to bring it back to Samsung today so please be careful if you want to update your phone today.

Edited by Cloggie

I second the hard reset recommendation, which should at least get you back in control of the device. Then you'll have to decide what you want to do about Gmail, clearing cache, etc. 'Appreciate the heads-up though. I'll be holding off on that update...

On a related topic, my gmail app for ipad 2 IOS 7.2 has gone crazy today. App opens as usual then within a second a note pops up stating "App crashed-send report or not". As soon as I touch the send report icon, the app crashes and disappears. The new upgrades seem to have messed up Safari as it regularly crashes.

On a related topic, my gmail app for ipad 2 IOS 7.2 has gone crazy today. App opens as usual then within a second a note pops up stating "App crashed-send report or not". As soon as I touch the send report icon, the app crashes and disappears. The new upgrades seem to have messed up Safari as it regularly crashes.

Brought my telephone back to the Samsung Service Centre and they installed the OS again, so now I have a brand 'new' Samsung Nexus mobile phone with an old OS and no applications :-(

Updated OS to latest version (including GMail app) and still in progress to reinstall all my other apps again one by one - what a nightmare and I even don't know WHY the update of the Gmail app completely f*cked-up my phone.

Can anyone explain this whole "syncing" thing authoritatively? This was gmail trying to sync ( or resync following the update) with the android OS (so gmail inbox remains up-to-date with new emails being rcvd as long as os is running & online) , right? Did the update kind of blow up his existing gmail account or what? Is there some way of performing the update without risk (maybe by making sure gmail app isn't running or disabling something else first)? Maybe doing a cold reboot first?

Thanks Clear Sky for the link, will use it next time but unfortunately I brought my mobile to the Samsung Service Centre already and they only installed Android, so now I lost all my programs and some data :-(

Hawker9000, still do not fully understand what happened and why my mobile only rebooted all the time after I installed the Gmail update, never had any problems before with my mobile.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're feeling adventurous, you could unlock the phone and install a custom recovery. Then you'll get the option to clear dalvik cache, which could have cleared your original problem. Nexus phones are designed for development, so nothing's stooping you from modifying them. Check out xda-developers.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app