The Juicing Thread

tropo

My juicer sometimes blocks up a bit too if i juice a lot of green leafy vegetables. I use carots and beet root to push the leafy vegetables through (not through the funnel) but making them come out into the waste container.

I keep on juicing and it seems to work for me.

I keep on juicing.. i hope it has health benefits.. i am sure it has as my energy is up.

I just buy all my stuff at the local market, short drive with the bike even buy that bittergard Todd mentioned.

-Garlic, ginger, tomato, leafy vegetables, cucumber, beet root (the only stuff i have problems getting sometimes but want .. maybe bit obsessive about it) carrot, limes, sometimes some other stuff. Seem to get about a liter of it with chunks as i use the large strainer. I drink it and am done usually with my lunch.

It is far less of a problem now that i get most stuff at the market.

• 1 year later...

I wonder how many still do it, i know that I now have stared again but scaled down to 1 batch every 2 days. So instead of the purist way of drinking it fresh 1 time when I consume it its a day old.This will help me to keep it up as everyday was just a bit too time consuming for me.

I must say it really does help me a bit. I feel better and have more energy. It tastes like crap but i make it for health not taste.

• Like 1

i drink it everyday ..around 1 litre

I make around a liter every 2 days, at first I did like you a litre every day. But soon it became too much (making buying ect) and i stopped. I decided that just like over training it might be better to scale down as it would keep me doing it though less but its better as ending up with not doing it.

I lived in the high arctic of Canada for a number of years. The "dark season" from Nov - Feb really drained my energies and only by juicing did my energy levels return to normal. It was a really dramatic change in energy and attitude (removed any depression due to no sunshine SAD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder ). My mainstay of foods I juiced back then were: celery, brocolli, carrots & apples which worked very effectively, plus we had only one plane a week (no roads) and these were the foods that survived shipping so far north in the middle of winter.

I may get back to juicing even tho I get lots of sunshine now in CM Thailand. Thanks for this thread as a reminder.

Doug

I lived in the high arctic of Canada for a number of years. The "dark season" from Nov - Feb really drained my energies and only by juicing did my energy levels return to normal. It was a really dramatic change in energy and attitude (removed any depression due to no sunshine SAD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder ). My mainstay of foods I juiced back then were: celery, brocolli, carrots & apples which worked very effectively, plus we had only one plane a week (no roads) and these were the foods that survived shipping so far north in the middle of winter.

I may get back to juicing even tho I get lots of sunshine now in CM Thailand. Thanks for this thread as a reminder.

Doug

You lived part of the life that I always wanted to try. But I know I am not suited for it but I always watch series about it. Survival Alaska, life below zero, yukon men ect. It was always a fantasy / dream of me. But living here in Thailand is good too.

Doug

I installed a 700 Watt Mercury vapor lamp.....it helps

What's a good beginner's juicer?

Need to get healthier but I just don't have the time for making lunches every day for work and I just can't eat salad something about the texture of the food puts me off every time.

The juicer that I have is great, but not really beginner I believe its in the 10.000 bt range. But you can expect to pay extra for a good juicer that does vegetables well too. Fruit juice is not advisable as it in general packs loads of sugars.

• Like 1

This is my favourite that keeps me healthy .

5 Carrots, 5 apples, raw ginger, lime, one beetroot . Drink this twice every day and it will boost your energy,

Edited by balo

1/3 bitter-gourd

5 pieces of garlic

some ginger

2 tomatoes

some cucumber

1 carrot

Kale

Tastes like crap.. but gives me energy and loads of healthy vitamins

I saw your device and was surprised. Before I thought it is a kind of mulinex.

What I did (now I am too lazy), I just put the things in a blender, together with some (3-5) ice cubes (without the ice there is not enough liquid and it makes the result pleasant cool) and drink what comes out. It is a bit high viscosity.

It contains everything, also the fiber and taste wise it can't make any difference.

Btw. I add a small thai style lemon. When it is sour (and cold) it tastes a bit better (better is not equal with good).

1/3 bitter-gourd

5 pieces of garlic

some ginger

2 tomatoes

some cucumber

1 carrot

Kale

What I did (now I am too lazy), I just put the things in a blender, together with some (3-5) ice cubes (without the ice there is not enough liquid and it makes the result pleasant cool) and drink what comes out. It is a bit high viscosity.

It contains everything, also the fiber and taste wise it can't make any difference.

Btw. I add a small thai style lemon. When it is sour (and cold) it tastes a bit better (better is not equal with good).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/08/juicer-types-cold-press_n_2618000.html

I got a cold pressed juicer.. supposed to be better.. not a mulinex. Its from Hurom and cost around 10.000bt.

I also add 4 lemons.. i forgot to add that.

Everyday was too much work for me.. its better to do it less but do it then forget about it complete.

1/3 bitter-gourd

5 pieces of garlic

some ginger

2 tomatoes

some cucumber

1 carrot

Kale

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/08/juicer-types-cold-press_n_2618000.html

I got a cold pressed juicer.. supposed to be better.. not a mulinex. Its from Hurom and cost around 10.000bt.

I also add 4 lemons.. i forgot to add that.

Everyday was too much work for me.. its better to do it less but do it then forget about it complete.

yes but what is the advantage? Wouldn't it be better to eat the whole fruit?

As I do hydraulics it would be fun to make a "real" press out of some old hydraulic cylinder.....Not worth the effort but would be fun to have a cold press with 60 ton force.

As I do hydraulics it would be fun to make a "real" press out of some old hydraulic cylinder.....Not worth the effort but would be fun to have a cold press with 60 ton force.

Its always better to eat the whole fruit but if you look at what I am taking you will see that i mostly juice vegetables. These are not that easy to take besides now you don't boil them. So that is an advantage your eating it raw. You don't damage any of the nutrients. That i add some fruits too the press is purely because its easy.

where did you get the 10k juicer robblok?

It's a lot to spend on a juicer but then again as an investment it seems like it would be worth it

are there any decent juicers in the 4-5k range that people would recommend? I would like to go for the 10k but not to sure the wife would be very happy about it

where did you get the 10k juicer robblok?

It's a lot to spend on a juicer but then again as an investment it seems like it would be worth it

are there any decent juicers in the 4-5k range that people would recommend? I would like to go for the 10k but not to sure the wife would be very happy about it

In the central branch (you got them all over Thailand). I see it as an investment but yes its quite a lot of money. You should read the article i posted. It explains the difference between juicers. I am still really happy with mine. I got a lot of quality stuff because over the years i found out that quality lasts while the cheaper (not that i call 5k cheap) stuff will often break. Same with my gym equipment.. i rather spend a bit more for quality. Remember a juicer like this should be good for years.

• Like 1

Its always better to eat the whole fruit but if you look at what I am taking you will see that i mostly juice vegetables. These are not that easy to take besides now you don't boil them. So that is an advantage your eating it raw. You don't damage any of the nutrients. That i add some fruits too the press is purely because its easy.

I think you misunderstood the question: What is the advantage of pressing the liquids out of it and drink it, vs. mulinex (blend) the whole vegetables and fruits (tomatoes, cucumber are fruits). Both is liquid at the end. Just the blended one is higher viscosity.

I think you misunderstood the question: What is the advantage of pressing the liquids out of it and drink it, vs. mulinex (blend) the whole vegetables and fruits (tomatoes, cucumber are fruits). Both is liquid at the end. Just the blended one is higher viscosity.

Just try blending leafy vegetables and then return back to me. That is the advantage its better at leafy vegetables and stuff like celery ect.

I have been doing a bit of research and stumbled two interesting looking products

first one is a slow juicer

http://www.lazada.co.th/philips-hr1830-249111.htm /

and the second one is actually a blender actually it calls itself an extractor but seems to have a lot of good reviews prides itself on being able to retain a lot of the nutrients from the fruit or veg

http://www.lazada.co.th/karabada-nutribullet-751394.html

anyone have any experience with either of these products?

Edited by bkkgooner

Just try blending leafy vegetables and then return back to me. That is the advantage its better at leafy vegetables and stuff like celery ect.

yes did it, it doesn't want to blend first, but when you crush it down on the blade + added ice that trashes around + liquid from the ice it works, but well it needs a 10-15 min.

Bigger problem are the carrots, which degenerates to some balls.

I thought that problem is because of the low quality of the blender. But well it is doable.

Personally i would go for the first, if you have to choose from those 2. I am not sure though how good it is in comparison to what i have. But mine is also a slow juicers / cold pressed juicer.

Problem with blenders is that its hard to put in leafy vegetables also I wonder how it would blend a carrot. I think its ok with soft fruits and stuff.

But thing is if you go for juicing you go for vegetable juice.. not fruit juices as you can better eat the fruit then juicing it.

• Like 1

yes did it, it doesn't want to blend first, but when you crush it down on the blade + added ice that trashes around + liquid from the ice it works, but well it needs a 10-15 min.

Bigger problem are the carrots, which degenerates to some balls.

I thought that problem is because of the low quality of the blender. But well it is doable.

It really depends on how much leafy vegetables you put in it.. but i put in quite a bit and I can tell you it won't be pretty in a blender. Same goes for the carrot.

what is the Hurom model that you have robblok?

It seems to me that combining both juicing and blending into your diet would probably be ideal.

I have been reading through this thread all evening, very interesting and some good inspiration to improve my diet.

what is the Hurom model that you have robblok?

It seems to me that combining both juicing and blending into your diet would probably be ideal.

I have been reading through this thread all evening, very interesting and some good inspiration to improve my diet.

Hu-200 (just checked the juicer and that was what it said). With the Hurom you get 2 different strainers.. depending on what one you use you either get more or less pulp (fibers)

• Like 1

I have a 600W Phillips blender and make smoothies from frozen leafy vegetables all the time.

I usually put in about 100 gram spinach, 100 gram sliced carrot, 100 gr brussel sprouts, 80 gr peas, 80 gr Broccoli and some fruits for a total of ~600 gram, all frozen. Then add water and blend 1.5 liter smoothy without any problems. Takes about 2 minutes to get it all liquid.

I have a 600W Phillips blender and make smoothies from frozen leafy vegetables all the time.

I usually put in about 100 gram spinach, 100 gram sliced carrot, 100 gr brussel sprouts, 80 gr peas, 80 gr Broccoli and some fruits for a total of ~600 gram, all frozen. Then add water and blend 1.5 liter smoothy without any problems. Takes about 2 minutes to get it all liquid.

I put far more in it as 100 grams of it same goes for the carrot. My stuff is not frozen but I can see how that would help. Anyway if it works for that is just fine. Mind you I dont have to add water and stuff all i get is pure veggy juice. You dilute it quite a bit. You go from 600 grams to 1,5 liter while i go from a heavier weight to a lower weight.

It depends on what you want and how much your willing to spend on a juicer. But in both cases its healthy and suits our needs. That is what it is all about.